GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PowerBook or iBook"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/09/04 at 23:36
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Now, i am considering getting either of the following, a 14" top spec (the max everything can go) iBook. OR, a 12" PowerBook, with low to medium specs.

What do you think would be the better option.

I prefer the look of a powerbook, and it's modemness, but is there that much differance?
Thu 16/09/04 at 20:23
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
FreeolaAdministrator wrote:
> Chad Niga wrote:
> Broadband
> Medic,
>
> Does this mean that you're running NTL?

I dont remember saying "Broadband Medic" ??? but yes, i am.
Thu 16/09/04 at 19:48
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Nimco wrote:
> I've now pre-ordered my iMac and can't wait for it to arrive. Going
> to get the wireless mouse/keybpard so I can mount the main unit to
> the wall and have no wires about the place.
>
> Maybe that's why I have a dislike for Macs - the only experience I
> have of using them is trying to do some work in Flash MX and setup
> server stuff.

One thing I have always loved about OSX, is you have a fully operation web server out of the box. Handles the lot having preinstalled php, SQL, Apache, Pearl etc.

As for wall mounting. Totally awesome. I want to mount my dual TFT together on the wall at some point. Just ordered a new TFT at work. 20" Iiyama 1600x1200. Would look so awesome on the wall
Thu 16/09/04 at 19:35
You have a Mac too? Have you tried XCode yet, and if so, does it offer live changes without recompiling?

Also, are the offline docs any good?
Thu 16/09/04 at 19:30
Regular
"NULL"
Tyla wrote:
> penetration being significantly higher than Mac's, and anyone who's
> ever tried to develop anything in Flash or Director on a Mac will
> indeed know of the hassle.
>
> I've now pre-ordered my iMac and can't wait for it to arrive. Going
> to get the wireless mouse/keybpard so I can mount the main unit to
> the wall and have no wires about the place.

Maybe that's why I have a dislike for Macs - the only experience I have of using them is trying to do some work in Flash MX and setup server stuff. I only know the very basics of Flash which didn't help, but I just found it hard to use on the Mac. And setting up Apache was harder cos I had to remotely connect to another Mac and mess around there but I didn't know any directory names for where to look.

I wall mounted my monitor yesterday - looks soo cool. Shame about the two wires going down from it behind my desk, but not much I can do about that.... :)
Thu 16/09/04 at 18:39
Regular
Why do you ask? Surely you don't know of any better broadband services?
Thu 16/09/04 at 18:37
Regular
> Chad Niga wrote:
> Broadband
> Medic,

Does this mean that you're running NTL?
Thu 16/09/04 at 16:48
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
lcarus wrote:
> I think he just wants a Mac because it looks nice, which is fair
> enough. The web design thing is a poor excuse.

Mac's are actually quite bad for web based work. They handle a lot of things differently from PC's such as font rendering. The majority of web design and development is done on PC's mainly due to market penetration being significantly higher than Mac's, and anyone who's ever tried to develop anything in Flash or Director on a Mac will indeed know of the hassle.

I've now pre-ordered my iMac and can't wait for it to arrive. Going to get the wireless mouse/keybpard so I can mount the main unit to the wall and have no wires about the place.
Thu 16/09/04 at 15:55
I think he just wants a Mac because it looks nice, which is fair enough. The web design thing is a poor excuse.
Thu 16/09/04 at 12:51
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Chad Niga wrote:
> Excellent.
>
> I hope i can get one, PC's are too slow, i do alot of webdesign and
> graphics design, and my laptop is just too slow.

PC's aren't that slow.

Mine: XP2400+ /1GB PC2700 DDR / XP Pro SP2

Power to Login : About 20 secs
Login - Desktop: 3 mins, but then XP has to cache over 4000 fonts!! With fonts switched off, about 90secs
Shutdown to Power off : 11 secs

Average applications running at one time:
DWMX2004, FWMX2004, Illustrator CS, Photoshop CS, Filezilla, MSN, IRC, Teamspeak, Outlook, IE, Firefox, Thunderbird.

Ot all comes down to what you have set to load at start up. Currently I have:

NIS2004 Pro, PrevX, MSN, Soundstorm, ATi Control Panel, ColorSafe, Nokia Phone Suite, BlueTooth controller for Nokia 6600, Broadband Medic, StyleXP and Picassa.

Could take a few out of that if I could be bothered, but the slowest is NIS2004.
Thu 16/09/04 at 11:50
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Chad Niga wrote:
> - How long does it take for it to boot up and shut down?

From pressing the power button to Safari appearing on screen took 44 seconds - that's with it set to log in automatically as me.

From pressing the shutdown hot-key sequence to power-off took 25 seconds with no apps open and 27 seconds with my usual apps open (Safari, Mail, NetNewsWire, iTunes, Dreamweaver and Konfabulator).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.