GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PowerBook or iBook"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/09/04 at 23:36
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Now, i am considering getting either of the following, a 14" top spec (the max everything can go) iBook. OR, a 12" PowerBook, with low to medium specs.

What do you think would be the better option.

I prefer the look of a powerbook, and it's modemness, but is there that much differance?
Wed 15/09/04 at 23:14
In that case, buy a faster computer instead. Laptops are much cheaper and higher specced.
Wed 15/09/04 at 22:21
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Excellent.

I hope i can get one, PC's are too slow, i do alot of webdesign and graphics design, and my laptop is just too slow.
Wed 15/09/04 at 22:12
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
It's definitely worth it.

My Airport Express card works with both the Buffalo wireless network gateways at school, and our Netgeard Wireless Router at home.
Wed 15/09/04 at 22:01
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Hah, cheers TIM.

I just hope i can afford one.
Wed 15/09/04 at 21:44
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Unfortunately, being easy to use the Apple experience attracts a lot of idiots.
Wed 15/09/04 at 21:16
OMG, you have to buy an adaptor just to connect an external monitor to it.

And how's this for patronising advice: [URL]http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86816[/URL]
Wed 15/09/04 at 21:00
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Chad Niga wrote:
> - Is it true that MacOS X never crashes, and infact cant?

Not true, I'm afraid. They can crash although it tends to be very rare, but if a program bombs out then it won't take the rest of the system with it.

> - How long does it take for it to boot up and shut down?

Depends on what's running at the time. I'll time it next time I do it.

> - Do you know if i will i be able to connect to my belkin wireless
> router with the airport express thing.

More than likely - check out Belkin's website.

> - Is it easy to partition the drive or what ever, or even possible?

Never done it, but it is easy - there's a handy little app with OS X called "Disk Utility" which does lots of things like repair permissions, partition, format etc.

> - Does it have a password security for when you start it up?

You can create users just like in Windows and you can specify what privileges they have, i.e. admin or whatever - for a restricted user you can specify a list of programs they're allow to access.

You can tell it to ask for a username and password at boot time or to log in automatically as a specific user.

Any program with an installer will ask you for an admin's username and password before installation - any other program gets installed by drag-and-drop.

> - And finnally, can i have your 17-incher?

Only if you buy me a lamp-shade style 20" model first.

> Sorry, i just want to know what i'll be buying before i buy it. And you're the only guy i know
> with a mac :P

No worries. Have a browse around the Apple site ([URL]http://www.apple.com/uk/[/URL]), especially the Support->Discussions section, there are a lot of FAQ's in there.

And Microchips has got an iBook.
Wed 15/09/04 at 20:23
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Timmagh, a few quick questions, if you can spare the time to answer...
- Is it true that MacOS X never crashes, and infact cant? (They said this about XP, yet it still does...)
- How long does it take for it to boot up and shut down?
- Do you know if i will i be able to connect to my belkin wireless router with the airport express thing.
- Is it easy to partition the drive or what ever, or even possible?
- Does it have a password security for when you start it up?
- And finnally, can i have your 17-incher?

Sorry, i just want to know what i'll be buying before i buy it. And you're the only guy i know with a mac :P
Wed 15/09/04 at 20:18
Chad Niga wrote:
> *If* i get a mac, i'll be looking in to Xcode.
>
> It looks really complecated though. Im sure i'll figure it out.

I'm still a bit puzzled over their different design interfaces... Cocoa, Carbon... it's like, "What's going on?"
Wed 15/09/04 at 20:07
Regular
"SOUP!"
Powerbook due to cheapness. I think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.