GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will Rare ever make a decent game?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/01/05 at 13:00
Regular
Banjo Pilot = sh*t
It's Mr Pants = mmmm mediocracy

It's been, what, four years since they released a game worth playing?
Mon 31/01/05 at 23:24
Regular
"Random by default"
No real details have been released yet thou, yeah i expect it will change gaming in someway, but will it be a big enough one?

And if it will ever catch on is another. (if its so different to the other two and third partys not supporting it so much.)
Mon 31/01/05 at 23:17
Regular
Concept wrote:
or is there another big
> step.

According to Nintendo... it is the Revolution.
Mon 31/01/05 at 23:10
Regular
"8==="
Psi powers are excellent fun to play with.

Psi-ops and Second Sight may be evidence of a 'big step'.

I think the problem is there's no longer 'one big step' but lots of smaller but very influential steps. Stealth gameplay is no longer cutting edge but it progresses in small but significant steps.

I can't wait for the adult presentation of SC3.
Mon 31/01/05 at 23:02
Regular
"Random by default"
I hated Goldeneye at first, then played it again and loved it, i dont know what changed. Perfect dark seemed different in many ways, but i still liked it. Multiplayer sessions usually involved both games, which goes to show they differed quite a bit.

I dont know if its time restrictions i have now but games havent grabbed me as Zelda:OoT/PD/Mario 64 did. As someone said what is the next step? Are we now just stuck in a one way road of the next console just having more memory etc etc, or is there another big step.
Mon 31/01/05 at 22:49
Regular
The DC?
Mon 31/01/05 at 22:45
Regular
"8==="
and what about the DC eh EH?

It was complex then too! ;P
Mon 31/01/05 at 22:41
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Dringo wrote:

> Console wars 'mattering'? Are you being serious?

Consoles wars a few years back was "PS2 fans are idiots.... Nintendo RUlessss because they make the best games. Fact"

Now it is far more complex. It's fun but it sorta ruins the childish innocence of it.
Mon 31/01/05 at 18:07
Regular
"8==="
Dringo wrote:
> I can see what's Strafio's saying.
>
> I agree, games these days are as great as the games of yesteryear...
>
> Just the fact is we were younger then, and we weren't caught up in
> the major complexities of console wars... it really didn't matter.
> Things weren't as bad or as tough then, money wasn't such a major
> issue, education, sex... you know what I mean?
>
> Oh how I miss it.

ahahaha console wars. If they weren't funny I wouldn't bother with them. I just tell people what I genuinely think. I'm getting a PS1 through the post with a few games (RPGs) that don't involve major analogue stick control (because the analogue sticks suck). Same reason I don't want any FPSs on my new cube when I get it. I go with what's practical not loyalty to one company or another. Xbox is the most practical allrounder. That's this generation: mabye next generation I'll have a PS3 (shock!) but only if they have a controller that a) isn't 10 years old in design and b) isn't ****.

Console wars 'mattering'? Are you being serious?

and if anything else gets in the way of what you want to do then you need to balance things out better.
Mon 31/01/05 at 17:29
Regular
I think people are getting it now.
It was half the innocence and half the games...

gerrid wrote:
> That's why I respect
> Nintendo for trying to make another leap, although I'm sceptical
> about whether they can pull it off or not - I don't think new control
> methods is really the way to go, although I'll have to see what they
> actually have up their sleeve before I make any judgements.

Yeah.
The N64 blew people away because everything was new (heck, the Playstation did a bit as well with SOME games).
Nintendo knew this and tried the same with the Gamecube, but seemed to be trying "originality" for the sake of the tag "originality".

As a result some of these original games were genius but lacked depth (Pikmin).
Some didn't seem that different despite the gimmicks (Sunshine).
Others just seemed completely out of place with themselves (Windwaker).
One or two they managed to get right (Metroid Prime for example - even if I still think it would've been twice as good with some added third person action! :-P) but even then there wasn't enough "new" there to bring us back to what we felt by the N64 age.

Now the question stands.
Have Nintendo actually found the next step big forward this time?
Is there even an actual "next big step" to even find?
Or are they just trying as many random things as they possibly can to see if one catches on?

The patent evidence could point to either scenario...
Mon 31/01/05 at 17:12
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> sex... you know what I mean?
>
> Oh how I miss it.

I share your pain buddy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.