GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mozilla OS"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/08/04 at 21:22
Regular
"SOUP!"
I'm considering using Mozilla as my operating system and totally replacing Windows altogether.

Though there are a few things I would like to ask any Mozilla users out there.

Can I simply install it over the top of Windows or do I need to wipe my computers, get mozilla on a disk and start from scratch?

Whats the functionaily of the OS like? The browser is fantastic, much better than IE in my opinion - is the OS like the browser?

Any tips/advice will be muchly appreciated.

Cheers.
Sat 28/08/04 at 09:27
Regular
"\\"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Obviously like you said, why bother writing a virus for an OS that's
> only used by 10% of the worlds population.

Maybe because only 11% of the worlds population has access to the internet?
Sat 28/08/04 at 00:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Also remember, the user account that XP creates at install time is given Administrator priviledges by default. That's the main flaw, really.
Fri 27/08/04 at 20:16
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
True, im guilty of that myself.
Fri 27/08/04 at 20:11
Regular
You mean limited user accounts, It can be done, but it's very sneaky in the way that malicious writers do it.

But think of it though, who uses limited user accounts anyway? Most people will give themselves admin privaledges so they can download and install whatever they want to their system.
Fri 27/08/04 at 20:09
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
gamesfreak wrote:
> The worst thing about Windows, is the ".exe" system that
> brings it down so much. Any file can be executed on a Windows
> machine, regardless of what it does, you just click it and it's
> executed. The programmer doesn't have the restraints of user
> permissions (as explained above), he/she can just make something
> that'll totally screw up a system and spread it on without having to
> pass too much security.

Even if the user is using an account which does not have administritive privileges at the time?
Fri 27/08/04 at 20:05
Regular
Azul wrote:
> A question.
>
> Why on Earth would people wish to attack a lesser used OS?

Valid point.

But I'm not talking about writer-ego's, I'm talking about the security of the system. Windows is heavily laden with bugs, holes and flaws that let hackers and god knows what else get through with some simple exploitation.

If you do Computing in college next year (I assume you are going to college, you seem quite intelligent), you'll learn about Operating systems, including Windows and UNIX. Linux is Unix based, and holds many of the features that Unix had to offer. Probably the most valuable one is the "root/user" system, which sets out two user accounts. One is administrator (root), in administrator mode you can do anything you like to your system, which also means deleting/editing important files. So it's strongly reccomended that you never log in as root, but login as yourself. As a user you have a home directory, which is full of your own files, you can edit these files and use programs to your hearts consent without having to worry about damaging your system.

The key is, if someone did manage to hack a Linux box, they wouldn't be able to do much more other then delete the home directory. Seems like a big loss, but it's nothing compared to deleting important system files. You need a root password to get to them.

The worst thing about Windows, is the ".exe" system that brings it down so much. Any file can be executed on a Windows machine, regardless of what it does, you just click it and it's executed. The programmer doesn't have the restraints of user permissions (as explained above), he/she can just make something that'll totally screw up a system and spread it on without having to pass too much security.

Obviously like you said, why bother writing a virus for an OS that's only used by 10% of the words population. But many virus writers and hackers respect the use of Linux because it is free, not like the £80 and constant service pack updates + hotfixes that you get from Windows because it's still not a fully complete and stable piece of software....

I'm sure you don't really care about what I've just told you, but it keeps me occupied until I go out.
Fri 27/08/04 at 17:27
Regular
"Touched!"
LOL@Mozilla OS..
Fri 27/08/04 at 17:18
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
gamesfreak wrote:
> True, but there again, who likes to use an OS that is constantly being
> hit by viruses, spyware, adware, hack attempts, security flaws and
> overly-priced software?

A question.

Why on Earth would people wish to attack a lesser used OS?
Surely the point of distributing a virus is to spread it to as many machines as possible so it/you become(s) well known?
Fri 27/08/04 at 17:14
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Hahaha, Mozilla OS.

If only they did have an OS....
Fri 27/08/04 at 14:32
Regular
True, but there again, who likes to use an OS that is constantly being hit by viruses, spyware, adware, hack attempts, security flaws and overly-priced software?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.