GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mozilla OS"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/08/04 at 21:22
Regular
"SOUP!"
I'm considering using Mozilla as my operating system and totally replacing Windows altogether.

Though there are a few things I would like to ask any Mozilla users out there.

Can I simply install it over the top of Windows or do I need to wipe my computers, get mozilla on a disk and start from scratch?

Whats the functionaily of the OS like? The browser is fantastic, much better than IE in my opinion - is the OS like the browser?

Any tips/advice will be muchly appreciated.

Cheers.
Sat 28/08/04 at 20:46
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
What I ask is, why does it need to be Windows OR Linux? Linux-capable extra hardware ain't that much really.
Sat 28/08/04 at 18:52
Regular
You're correct, many modern commercial distros (like Mandrake - which sucks) are just trying to be like Windows.

But, I use a more hand's on Distro you see - Gentoo.

Compiled from source, installed from the command line. Now I have a fully stable system, built to how I wanted it.
Sat 28/08/04 at 18:47
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:

>
> Whereas Windows, you turn it on, you get a pretty picture of a logo
> and progress bar, log in, and it'll hold your computer loving hand
> and spoon-feed you till you shut it down.
>

No it doesn't. Much like modern Linux distros now, you have the choice of doing your daily thing with it, but if you choose to understand the "inner workings", then you're free to learn the Win32 Toolkit and other things. It's just a matter of looking on the web.

> Matter of opinion I guess, I just prefer a free Operating System
> rather then an over-priced piece of software.
Me too.
Sat 28/08/04 at 18:33
Regular
Paradox: wrote:
> I guess if I was dumb enough to think that Mozilla was an OS I'm not
> quite ready to stray from my warm fluffy Windows Operated shoebox.

Yeah, valid point.

I've always found Linux as an OS that lets people get "hands on" with their computers and allows them to configure and install a system that meets a specification as to what they want. It doesn't shield you from the inner workings of how the OS talks to your computer.

Whereas Windows, you turn it on, you get a pretty picture of a logo and progress bar, log in, and it'll hold your computer loving hand and spoon-feed you till you shut it down.

Matter of opinion I guess, I just prefer a free Operating System rather then an over-priced piece of software.
Sat 28/08/04 at 18:12
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Mac flaws: -13492
Sat 28/08/04 at 18:04
Regular
"SOUP!"
I guess if I was dumb enough to think that Mozilla was an OS I'm not quite ready to stray from my warm fluffy Windows Operated shoebox.
Sat 28/08/04 at 17:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If you've ever tried hacking either of these boxes, you'd know Windows is a lot easier. It's not that Linux/Unix is more secure per se, it's that Linux/Unix gets updates a lot, lot quicker than Windows does. Linux/Unix holes are usually patched within hours.

Another thing to note is, Windows is inherently insecure (in that most holes are found within the operating system itself), however Linux/Unix vunerabilities are almost always associated with particular software that runs on them.
Sat 28/08/04 at 16:00
Regular
Windows sucks, make that of what you will, Windows geeks :P
Sat 28/08/04 at 15:19
Regular
Security flaws are worse according to research: Windows has 128 flaws, Red Hat 229, Debian 286, Mandrake 199 and SuSE 176.
Sat 28/08/04 at 12:40
Regular
The security in Windows isn't much worse than Linux. It's the fact that many people spend hours upon hours exploiting these security issues in Windows, whereas you only get the smaller majority who exploit Linux floors. This is because, as Azul said, the majority of people own Windows, therefore average 'hacker' joe knows he'll pish more people off doing it through Windows.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.