GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mozilla OS"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/08/04 at 21:22
Regular
"SOUP!"
I'm considering using Mozilla as my operating system and totally replacing Windows altogether.

Though there are a few things I would like to ask any Mozilla users out there.

Can I simply install it over the top of Windows or do I need to wipe my computers, get mozilla on a disk and start from scratch?

Whats the functionaily of the OS like? The browser is fantastic, much better than IE in my opinion - is the OS like the browser?

Any tips/advice will be muchly appreciated.

Cheers.
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:22
Regular
"SOUP!"
I'm considering using Mozilla as my operating system and totally replacing Windows altogether.

Though there are a few things I would like to ask any Mozilla users out there.

Can I simply install it over the top of Windows or do I need to wipe my computers, get mozilla on a disk and start from scratch?

Whats the functionaily of the OS like? The browser is fantastic, much better than IE in my opinion - is the OS like the browser?

Any tips/advice will be muchly appreciated.

Cheers.
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:24
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Mozilla isn't an OS, it's a browser...
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:28
Regular
"SOUP!"
Firefox is the browser - they make an OS too im certain.
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:30
Regular
"SOUP!"
...or maybe not.

Hows about Linux then?
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:31
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Paradox: wrote:
> Firefox is the browser - they make an OS too im certain.

Mozilla is a browser, trust me, and so is Firefox, which is a cut down version of Mozilla. They also produce Thunderbird (email client) & Camino (Mac browser). They definatley DO NOT produce an Operating System.
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:33
Regular
"SOUP!"
Oops my bad.

So, hows about Linux OS then?
Thu 26/08/04 at 21:40
Regular
You can get Firefox for Linux. To install it, pick a distro - whatever takes your fancy. I recommend SuSE, Fedora Core or Mandrake. Use a search engine for the sites, and follow the links to download the files. You'll need a few CD-Rs and a BB connection (as you'll be downloading .iso files, which are CD images and therfore take around 700MB each).

For example, there should be 4 for Fedora, and a rescue disc; usually you'll be lead to a maze of folders, but using intuition just find the one with your platform (usually in a folder called i32 or similar, as in intel 32 bit machines) and copy and burn the isos to CDs. Then boot from disc 1.

The install process will ask you to split up your HD into partitions, so make sure you have two spare that you don't need - 10GB, and anpother double your memory size should be more than enough. Use that as the "/" and swap partitions respecitvely, and after that it's a simple case of following the instructions onscreen.

Yep, you're probably confused. Just do it step by step. If you have a computer nearby with net access, you can ask whenver you're lost.
Thu 26/08/04 at 22:09
Regular
"\\"
No. Let him try and install Mozilla as an OS... I want to see what would happen.
Fri 27/08/04 at 11:22
Regular
"Freeola Support"
erm nothing would happen? Just viewed http://www.mozilla.org/ to make sure I can see no OS but all their products have been designed for multiple OS's including MAC
Fri 27/08/04 at 11:51
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Afternoon wrote:
> erm nothing would happen?

erm... that's the point!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.