GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So this Gmail thing..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/08/04 at 11:14
Regular
Has anyone here got Gmail. Is it any good, and (Be Honest) has anyone sold any of the invites?
Is it true that Invites have been stopped given out?
Wed 15/09/04 at 14:27
Regular
"NULL"
lcarus wrote:
> I don't even notice it's there, and it's the same with everyone esle I'm
> sure.

Yup! When reading your post, I suddenly realised that I couldn't even think where the ads were on the site. So I went and logged on, and they're tiny! They're exactly the same as Goodle AdWord things when you search for something on Google. They're targetted to what you search for. It's no more an invasion of privacy than searching on Google.
Wed 15/09/04 at 13:35
But it's not a "great advertising banner" though, is it? It's a small text ad, tucked in the top right hand corner. I don't even notice it's there, and it's the same with everyone esle I'm sure. What's important is that it's the fastest webmail service I've used by far. Much like their search engine. Anf everything else Googled.
Wed 15/09/04 at 02:56
Regular
Because they are doing it to make money from it, not for our benefit but for their own.

It's an intrusion into privacy purely for profit, and no other motive, not to protect from viruses or provide a better service, but to make money.

It's Spyware gone to a new level, and no one likes Spyware either.

Point being, suppose I was to buy a book from amazon, Gmail would scan my invoice, pick up where I bought a book, all the info about the book, how much I paid for it etc., then throw a great advertising banner right in my veiw trying to manipulate me into buying other things.

This is not a service which I want, and therefore will not be using Gmail.

If all webmail services start doing this, I'll just stick to my uni webmail address, with no problems with email scanning for the purposes of selling products.
Tue 14/09/04 at 21:48
They're scared the scanner bots will invade their privacy - privacy being their weekly email on keeping fit and trimming the fat off their waists.
Tue 14/09/04 at 21:04
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
So what's so bad about Gmail?

What do they do that people don't like? Antivirus/Anti-spam software scans all messages for keywords and such, so why can't Gmail do it?
Tue 14/09/04 at 20:49
Yes. Hello.
Tue 14/09/04 at 19:28
Regular
"Freeola Support"
lcarus wrote:
> Not you specifically though.
Well, WE MONITOR YOU!(on the forums that is and obviously our hosted sites to make sure they conform to rules)
Tue 14/09/04 at 19:13
Not you specifically though.
Tue 14/09/04 at 19:12
"I love yo... lamp."
We already monitor everything you say or do, so no biggy.
Tue 14/09/04 at 19:10
phi11ip wrote:

>
> I still can't see any problem, they don't collect credit card details
> or addresses off of you...

Yup, it's just paranoid women lobbyers who insist that nothing but the highest standards of privacy will do. Of ocurse, anyone in the Government with database access can easily get their hands on details, but they just try to ignore it in the vian hope that it will go away.

I can't wait until nanotechnology housing tiny "maintenance" bots come into production; housewives will go mental.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.