GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thoughts"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/08/04 at 22:37
Regular
I figure it's about time I get myself a career.
Or at least a decent-paying stable job.

I'm getting on a bit, finished my degree, taken a year out, and in a year I'll have finished my masters (to kill time).
I need to get my own place, get some money together, settle down. And a career, or something with a decent wage, is central to doing that. Really it has to be fairly long term too.

And that's my gripe - 'long term'.
I've never had a job which I've held for more than a couple of weeks, without hating it, going to work, being unhappy, going home, finding I'd wasted a whole day of my life doing nothing that made the day worth living.
Time is the essence of life and all that, when time slips away, wasted, it's your life that you're wasting. Another day closer to the grave, and another day you might as well not have been alive.

I admit I've never had particularly good jobs, but I've done office work, shop work, manual work, it all quickly becomes boring, uninteresting and unenjoyable. And then you're wasting your life again.

I guess I have a vey short attention span, things become samey fast, and then it's hard to care about what you're doing.
I can't see a job where that wouldn't be a problem.
I can't imagine a job where it wouldn't be a problem.
So I can't imagine a job where, long term, I could be anything but unhappy.

I'm qualified for nothing.
I have a law degree, but that's not a qualification to practice law.
Everything else, I'm unqualified for.
I guess there's graduate stuff, but I've never seen anything that doesn't suck.
After the masters I'll be (moderately) qualified to work in forensics, but I don't want to. To be honest, if I hadn't already signed my rent contract I doubt I'd still be going at all.

I have one job in mind to apply to after the masters, but even that will probably decay into miserable toil. No worse than anything else at least. But that's only if I get the job.

I think I'd quite like to train dolphins for scientific research - see how far I could take them in developing communication. I've seen some impressive stuff in that field, but all the people working there seem to lack the vision to take things forward a level.
But that's a pipe dream, something I'll never get the opportunity to do.

Being condemned to a life of miserable toil scares the crap out of me.

I don't know if I'm looking for advice, or just trying to get it off my chest. I think a bit of both.
Ah well, I'm out of stuff to say. Thanks for reading, if you did.
Tue 10/08/04 at 13:52
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Icarus mk2 wrote:
> Goatboy wrote:
>
>
> I'm sure you're perfectly happy researching Algorithms.
>
> Hilarious response, from a postie who still doesn't get it.

I could understand Goatboy if it wasn't for the fact that he sees his ideal job as teaching.

I looked at it early this year but after a day in a local school decided never to return to it again, from what I've seen him put here he's got a very idealised view of the job. My mate had the same idea, he was going to Make A Difference TM, Inspire TM, etc

Less than a year after getting QTS he's planning how he can make a swift exit from the profession - all this after 3 years of university. Another friend of my parent's went and did a 4 year BA Ed course, only to find that the only way she will ever get a full time job is to move way up North or right down South, where the wages would mean she'd be living worse than she did when she was working at Tesco. I won't deny that some teachers have made an impression on me and guided what I've gone on to do, but not a single one of them has been under about 50 odd.

Still, nothing wrong with him being a temp postman, rather have someone with a brain deliverying the letters than the 'tards around here who routinely chuck the entire close's mail into the first person's letterbox.

I think most people come into two categories - 1) you either want a job that becomes your life, or 2) a job that allows you to have a life.
Tue 10/08/04 at 14:14
Regular
Heh, I'll have to see if our navy want my dolphin-corrupting services :^D

Training dolphins to actually directly attack people? That's fricking awesome. Have they got lazers on their heads too?

Light wrote:
> But more importantly, learn whatever it is
> that will do that for you for yourself.

Heh, I think that could be the hardest bit.

I agree with what Goatboy is saying, and I've seen people, who would otherwise be well-meaning, will people around them to fail where they themselves have been unable to succeed (I guess it's a consuming insecurity sometimes).

But at the same time I figure Bell's right about the need to compromise sometimes. Well, everyone seems to have acknowledged that really.

I suppose then, it's about finding the best you can without giving up and accepting defeat.

I have to disagree about the cut and dry choice between finding a job to be your life or one to let you have a life.
I have other stuff in my life too, outside work. Everyone does. But I want a job I can love as well. You don't have to totally sacrifice one side of your life in the pursuit of the other.
Tue 10/08/04 at 15:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> I looked at it early this year but after a day in a local school
> decided never to return to it again, from what I've seen him put here
> he's got a very idealised view of the job. My mate had the same idea,
> he was going to Make A Difference TM, Inspire TM, etc

A fair comment except I'm not just walking into this convinced I'll have everybody standing on their desks and saluting my exit-in-shame.
Two friends of mine, and an ex, are teachers and thoroughly enjoy it - despite the hardships etc.
I'm fully aware of just what I'm going into, which is why I'm taking my time rather than just leaping straight in and regretting it soon after.

> Still, nothing wrong with him being a temp postman, rather have
> someone with a brain deliverying the letters than the 'tards around
> here who routinely chuck the entire close's mail into the first
> person's letterbox.

Nothing at all wrong with being a temp postman.
I'll be going fulltime in a month or so, might as well earn a lot better money, have a union and labour rights etc whilst I'm doing it.
And the reason I enjoy it so much is that the people are good. Possibly because it's not an office environment with snarky females or politics and endless mindless mid-management clones using terms like "pro-active" in order to justify their existence.
No stress, no pressure, no deadlines, no budget meetings, no concept overviews.
And after 4 years of exactly that sort of drudgery that doesn't suit me, it's a breath of fresh air.
Tue 10/08/04 at 16:09
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Stop trying to justify you trading in dreams and hopes for a paycheck
> Kemo-Sabe and direct that frustration where it belongs.

Actually, researchers don't get paid that much at all. The average working salary for full time research scientists for AI at uni was only £23,000; you must realise that people don't do it for the money, because the subject itself requires a lot more than that; it needs dedication, the need to constantly learn, and self motivation in order to complete a project or get out of a rough patch in one.

Sure, folk like yourself don't want the pressure, I can understand that. A decade or two later I might decide to retire to a no worries job. But choosing a job for others isn't based entirely on money and how boring/stressful it is; If that was the case I would have kept last year's summer job answering phones at £7.50 an hour, or continued with the knicker warehouse the year before that.
Tue 10/08/04 at 16:17
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Well as you seem to have some insight into it I apologise for saying you had an idealised view of it, at least you are also in the area (down south right?) where the most vacancies are.
Tue 10/08/04 at 16:17
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Knicker Factory?
Hur hur hur

Fair point, I've just had enough of chasing the £ knowing it's not what I want to do. I may yet come across a job that stimulates me and provides decent money, but until then I'd rather take the interesting job I enjoy that may not give me all the money in the world.
Tue 10/08/04 at 16:19
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> Well as you seem to have some insight into it I apologise for saying
> you had an idealised view of it, at least you are also in the area
> (down south right?) where the most vacancies are.
----------

A lot of vacancies, but that's because an awful lot of the schools resemble something from Battle Royale without the calming collars.
Ideally, after getting qualified and grabbing experience with some feral gangster children, I'll up sticks and move somewhere quiet where they actually want to learn.

Now that may be idealised.
Tue 10/08/04 at 16:47
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Maybe not, though you might need to put the years in - the deputy head of the junior school I went to moved to Crich (little village in Derbyshire with tram museum), naturally the kid's there are quite peaceful.

At least they'll probably have installed metal detectors in innner city schools by the time you qualify :P
Tue 10/08/04 at 18:08
Regular
And tasers to neutralise the trouble makers? :^)

Goatboy, for a walking post round, you'd have to be in a fairly large town, right?

Sounds like a decent job to kill time with. When it's dry at least.
Wed 11/08/04 at 11:14
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Oh well, failed to get one of the two jobs I mentioned before, which is no real surprise seeing as the competition was 6 blokes who had all been managers elsewhere and one woman who was assistant manager at Sainsburys. Flippin' strange graduate recruitment program...

Fingers crossed for the other one though it makes absolutely no difference...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.