GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thoughts"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/08/04 at 22:37
Regular
I figure it's about time I get myself a career.
Or at least a decent-paying stable job.

I'm getting on a bit, finished my degree, taken a year out, and in a year I'll have finished my masters (to kill time).
I need to get my own place, get some money together, settle down. And a career, or something with a decent wage, is central to doing that. Really it has to be fairly long term too.

And that's my gripe - 'long term'.
I've never had a job which I've held for more than a couple of weeks, without hating it, going to work, being unhappy, going home, finding I'd wasted a whole day of my life doing nothing that made the day worth living.
Time is the essence of life and all that, when time slips away, wasted, it's your life that you're wasting. Another day closer to the grave, and another day you might as well not have been alive.

I admit I've never had particularly good jobs, but I've done office work, shop work, manual work, it all quickly becomes boring, uninteresting and unenjoyable. And then you're wasting your life again.

I guess I have a vey short attention span, things become samey fast, and then it's hard to care about what you're doing.
I can't see a job where that wouldn't be a problem.
I can't imagine a job where it wouldn't be a problem.
So I can't imagine a job where, long term, I could be anything but unhappy.

I'm qualified for nothing.
I have a law degree, but that's not a qualification to practice law.
Everything else, I'm unqualified for.
I guess there's graduate stuff, but I've never seen anything that doesn't suck.
After the masters I'll be (moderately) qualified to work in forensics, but I don't want to. To be honest, if I hadn't already signed my rent contract I doubt I'd still be going at all.

I have one job in mind to apply to after the masters, but even that will probably decay into miserable toil. No worse than anything else at least. But that's only if I get the job.

I think I'd quite like to train dolphins for scientific research - see how far I could take them in developing communication. I've seen some impressive stuff in that field, but all the people working there seem to lack the vision to take things forward a level.
But that's a pipe dream, something I'll never get the opportunity to do.

Being condemned to a life of miserable toil scares the crap out of me.

I don't know if I'm looking for advice, or just trying to get it off my chest. I think a bit of both.
Ah well, I'm out of stuff to say. Thanks for reading, if you did.
Sat 07/08/04 at 22:37
Regular
I figure it's about time I get myself a career.
Or at least a decent-paying stable job.

I'm getting on a bit, finished my degree, taken a year out, and in a year I'll have finished my masters (to kill time).
I need to get my own place, get some money together, settle down. And a career, or something with a decent wage, is central to doing that. Really it has to be fairly long term too.

And that's my gripe - 'long term'.
I've never had a job which I've held for more than a couple of weeks, without hating it, going to work, being unhappy, going home, finding I'd wasted a whole day of my life doing nothing that made the day worth living.
Time is the essence of life and all that, when time slips away, wasted, it's your life that you're wasting. Another day closer to the grave, and another day you might as well not have been alive.

I admit I've never had particularly good jobs, but I've done office work, shop work, manual work, it all quickly becomes boring, uninteresting and unenjoyable. And then you're wasting your life again.

I guess I have a vey short attention span, things become samey fast, and then it's hard to care about what you're doing.
I can't see a job where that wouldn't be a problem.
I can't imagine a job where it wouldn't be a problem.
So I can't imagine a job where, long term, I could be anything but unhappy.

I'm qualified for nothing.
I have a law degree, but that's not a qualification to practice law.
Everything else, I'm unqualified for.
I guess there's graduate stuff, but I've never seen anything that doesn't suck.
After the masters I'll be (moderately) qualified to work in forensics, but I don't want to. To be honest, if I hadn't already signed my rent contract I doubt I'd still be going at all.

I have one job in mind to apply to after the masters, but even that will probably decay into miserable toil. No worse than anything else at least. But that's only if I get the job.

I think I'd quite like to train dolphins for scientific research - see how far I could take them in developing communication. I've seen some impressive stuff in that field, but all the people working there seem to lack the vision to take things forward a level.
But that's a pipe dream, something I'll never get the opportunity to do.

Being condemned to a life of miserable toil scares the crap out of me.

I don't know if I'm looking for advice, or just trying to get it off my chest. I think a bit of both.
Ah well, I'm out of stuff to say. Thanks for reading, if you did.
Sat 07/08/04 at 22:57
Regular
Mumbai Duck wrote:

"I think I'd quite like to train dolphins for scientific research - see how far I could take them in developing communication. I've seen some impressive stuff in that field, but all the people working there seem to lack the vision to take things forward a level. But that's a pipe dream, something I'll never get the opportunity to do."

Why's it a pipe dream? Why's it more difficult than carpentry, plumbing, or anything like that? That's far from a pipe dream, that's an awesome dream.

I say go for it. Train, research, learn, see what you can do. If it bores you, if you find out it wasn't what you wanted, sod it, start again, find something else. That is NO pipe dream and to tell yourself that is ridiculous and I'd bet anything it's more down to fear than anything else.
Sat 07/08/04 at 23:02
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Training dolphins?
Sat 07/08/04 at 23:22
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Why's it a pipe dream? Why's it more difficult than carpentry,
> plumbing, or anything like that? That's far from a pipe dream, that's
> an awesome dream.
>
> I say go for it. Train, research, learn, see what you can do. If it
> bores you, if you find out it wasn't what you wanted, sod it, start
> again, find something else. That is NO pipe dream and to tell
> yourself that is ridiculous and I'd bet anything it's more down to
> fear than anything else.

I don't think anyone employs people to train dolphins in anything other than a theme park novelty tricks environment.
However, even an application for something like that would no doubt get swamped amidst a load of hippies' CVs.

I don't want to sound defeatest, but some jobs just aren't realistic. I'm never going to be an astronaut, prime minister or a professional athlete. I think this is in that kind of league.
Sat 07/08/04 at 23:34
Regular
As far as I recall, you'll need a biology/marine biology degree or something similiar.

Other than that, strong swimming proficency, plenty of experience with animals, basic or better first aid skills (always helps) and an obvious fondness and interest for animals should do it.

I think you'd probably have to start out as something else first though, and move into it.

Lifeguard experience would be swell, so would working at a vets. It isn't that hard to find a job at one of them, especially if you do it as volunteer work.
Sat 07/08/04 at 23:36
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Training dolphins??
Sun 08/08/04 at 00:24
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:
> Training dolphins??

I remember seeing some that had been trained to recognise hand gestures and stuff, quite elaborate things. At the time it seemed to be the extent of how far things had been developed.

I saw ways to push them further, move into new areas of training and development, really push back the boundaries.
That's why I wanted to do it really, to be able to try to break new ground.
Plus it didn't seem like such a crap job.

I don't really have any interest in the joys of keeping wild animals in small aquariums for the general public's ammusement.

Maybe any sort of research that I genuinely cared about, where I was able to break new ground, would be something I'd like to do.
Sun 08/08/04 at 00:27
Regular
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> I saw ways to push them further, move into new areas of training and
> development, really push back the boundaries.

Heh, maybe it's best I never have kids :^D
Sun 08/08/04 at 02:24
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I was joking by the way, go nuts and enjoy an enjoying job.

Best wishes,

Love Sheepy xx
Sun 08/08/04 at 09:44
Regular
"SOUP!"
The thought of spending 40 years in a job I don't enjoy, or where I am doing the same thing day-in, day-out scares the hell out of me. It would absolutely suffocate me. I thrive on change and also get bored of the same job fairly easily.

That is largely why I have opted to take journalism - it's full of change. You meet different people and write different things - it's a far shot from being a spreadsheet monkey for some crappy corporation. Also if you want that extra sense of adventure, be freelance. Ba-boom.

Or the dolphins thing, you know, that could be good too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.