GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thoughts"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/08/04 at 22:37
Regular
I figure it's about time I get myself a career.
Or at least a decent-paying stable job.

I'm getting on a bit, finished my degree, taken a year out, and in a year I'll have finished my masters (to kill time).
I need to get my own place, get some money together, settle down. And a career, or something with a decent wage, is central to doing that. Really it has to be fairly long term too.

And that's my gripe - 'long term'.
I've never had a job which I've held for more than a couple of weeks, without hating it, going to work, being unhappy, going home, finding I'd wasted a whole day of my life doing nothing that made the day worth living.
Time is the essence of life and all that, when time slips away, wasted, it's your life that you're wasting. Another day closer to the grave, and another day you might as well not have been alive.

I admit I've never had particularly good jobs, but I've done office work, shop work, manual work, it all quickly becomes boring, uninteresting and unenjoyable. And then you're wasting your life again.

I guess I have a vey short attention span, things become samey fast, and then it's hard to care about what you're doing.
I can't see a job where that wouldn't be a problem.
I can't imagine a job where it wouldn't be a problem.
So I can't imagine a job where, long term, I could be anything but unhappy.

I'm qualified for nothing.
I have a law degree, but that's not a qualification to practice law.
Everything else, I'm unqualified for.
I guess there's graduate stuff, but I've never seen anything that doesn't suck.
After the masters I'll be (moderately) qualified to work in forensics, but I don't want to. To be honest, if I hadn't already signed my rent contract I doubt I'd still be going at all.

I have one job in mind to apply to after the masters, but even that will probably decay into miserable toil. No worse than anything else at least. But that's only if I get the job.

I think I'd quite like to train dolphins for scientific research - see how far I could take them in developing communication. I've seen some impressive stuff in that field, but all the people working there seem to lack the vision to take things forward a level.
But that's a pipe dream, something I'll never get the opportunity to do.

Being condemned to a life of miserable toil scares the crap out of me.

I don't know if I'm looking for advice, or just trying to get it off my chest. I think a bit of both.
Ah well, I'm out of stuff to say. Thanks for reading, if you did.
Mon 09/08/04 at 19:26
Regular
That's rather reminiscent of Red Alert 2, where they used dolphins to defeat ships and enemy swimmers. All terrorists need to do now is train squids to attack dolphins and it'll be a real life scenario.
Mon 09/08/04 at 22:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Don't sweat it Duck, you're with 99% of the world that doesn't want to do an ass job that will suck the marrow from your life and leave you shuffling into work until you get a retirement party that nobody comes to.

The simple answer?
Don't.
Don't listen to anybody saying "reality" blah blah blah, that's simply somebody trying to dissuade you from pursuing your goals because they don't have the balls to do likewise, y'know?
"Well you might as settle for the 9-5 routine and mortgage and savings because, like, the world is harsh"...yeah right.

I've done a load of different jobs. Some well paying, some not. But they never made me feel wortwhile or satisfied so I always walked away or behaved so badly I was fired.
I spent 4 years in marketing, sitting at a desk being in the top 10 posters here and earning decent money doing very little. But I was bored stiff by it, so I just walked away from it to go do teacher training.
Something I've always wanted to do.
Ok, it's going to take me a couple of years to save enough £ and buff-up a couple of qualifications but so what?
In the meantime, I'm a Postman.

And it's the best job I've ever had in my almost 17years of working.
No stress, no pressure, no deadlines, no supervisors/middle management asshats that have done nothing except go straight into a job with zero life experience.
Some of the best blokes I've ever worked with - though it's 5am, everybody is laughing and joking, singing and shouting.
You spend a couple hours in the depot prepping your walk, then off you go and it's just you for a few hours until you go home at lunchtime with the rest of your day to yourself.
Easy.

Just do whatever you want to do.
I remember Baz Luhrman (sp?) released a song called Sunscreen, and everybody bought it because of "the message, maaaan". Yet I'll bet money that 99.9% of those self-same people still went to a job they hated and killed time waiting for a weekend spent dreading Monday.

Don't listen to those crushed, miserable tools that say "Reality/life is hard/be an accountant" etc etc, that's what they've chosen to do with their life.
Don't let their self-annoyance at not being able to go for it drag you down.
I wonder just how many people ever said as a kid "When I grow up, I want to be a Data Analyst/Mid Management/Spreadsheet Intepreter/whatever"

There's an awful lot of squandered lives out there, and an awful lot of bitter snidey people that don't want you to at least fall trying to do what you want to.
Mon 09/08/04 at 23:16
Regular
Actually, as unbelievable as it may seem for you, people do look foward in their lives to do a job which may seem boring to others. I told my friends during college, I want to do research into AI, algorithms, stuff like that - and they say boooorrrring, dead end job, etc.

But it's not. Different people like different stuff.

To me, train spotters are dull gits. But it's a hobby for them. As you say in your post, you don't like the constant pressure, deadlines etc. But many do, they need such a structure to progress in their lives. Just because you see it differently doesn't mean they are the "crushed, miserable tools" that you say.

Of course, there are so many who do fit the bill; they hate their job, and don't do anything about it; but that lot hardly makes up 99.9% of the working world.
Mon 09/08/04 at 23:20
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Indeed.

I'm sure you're perfectly happy researching Algorithms.
Duck isn't, that was the point of his post. He doesn't want an office 9-5 thing.
Did you even read his post, or simply opened your book of happy to "Response 1313: Everybody is a special beautiful butterfly"?
Mon 09/08/04 at 23:35
Regular
Your post is making out that everyone is unhappy with their jobs.
Mon 09/08/04 at 23:38
Regular
Goatboy wrote:

>
> I'm sure you're perfectly happy researching Algorithms.

Hilarious response, from a postie who still doesn't get it.
Tue 10/08/04 at 06:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Icarus mk2 wrote:
> Hilarious response, from a postie who still doesn't get it.
--------

Y'see mate, you can't insult me by calling me Postie.
Because I'm damn happy doing it and proud of doing an honest day's work instead of marketing crap people don't need to make more money for themselves.

I get it, so don't get sniffy.
Some people are happy doing whatever. Duck isn't, and doesn't want that.
Yet there are posts here saying "Well face reality, you'll have to settle for doing X", I'm saying he doesn't.
Don't get redfaced with me because I'm pointing out that an awful lot of people settle for a nice secure mortgage providing job instead of doing something they love.
Maybe you do, maybe you don't - it doesn't matter because my post was to Duck about his feelings, similar to my own.
Stop trying to justify you trading in dreams and hopes for a paycheck Kemo-Sabe and direct that frustration where it belongs.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to be a postie.
Tue 10/08/04 at 11:06
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> but the US Navy has experience of
> using Dolphins in combat roles - it trained them to find mines, to
> attack enemy divers, plant mines on the hulls of ships and submarines
> etc Never read about them actually being used for those missions in
> any capacity but the training was real, and is now.

They used dolphins to find mines in the recent Iraq invasion, and they even managed to lose one. Seriously, it swam off and was never seen again.
Tue 10/08/04 at 12:19
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Speaking personally, I've been in the situation where I was trapped in a job I despised. I quit, but not before it damn near drove me to a nervous breakdown. Now I'm in a job I neither love nor hate, but it's just filler for my acting ambitions to be honest; it means I can pay the bills whilst treading the boards, and that's good enough for me.

In other words, and quite unsurprisingly, I agree with goatboy; do whatever it takes to ensure that you can live with yourself and whatever job it is you do. But more importantly, learn whatever it is that will do that for you for yourself.
Tue 10/08/04 at 13:37
Regular
"Long time no see!"
If you've got a serious dream or ambition for your life, you should go about setting out to meet it at the first convenience.

If you're in a job you hate; it's not helping you, it drags you down and you really feel you cannot live another day doing it again, you really don't 'have' to do it.

At the end of the day, it's your life. If you're unhappy with something, only you can change it. Only you can find the right answers to what you want. You shouldn't force yourself through un-neccesary things if you could go a different, more satisfying way.

And, I know it gets hard when you get "comfortable" in a job, no matter how unhappy you are with it. When it becomes routine.

It reminds me of doing my A-levels last year...
I got through the first year doing subjects I was good at, fine. I didn't really have much of a clue as to what I wanted to do after (job-wise), and it was in the second year that I realised this. I realised I was heading in the 'obvious direction', doing something I didn't neccesarily want to do. It was the only available answer...

So, after beginning a horrible year in which I go terribley depressed (I won't go into it all...), I dropped out and stopped something only 'routine' I wasn't happy doing. I could always start again at college, but Graphic Design was something I didn't really want to do.

So, I got myself back together, took the advice of people and went for the 'smart option' of learning a trade, and I'm on my way into the Building Industry as a Carpenter (where there's an incredible need for a dying breed; losing over 1,000 men each year!).

The modern 'business man' may interperet me as some kind of 'idiot' for choosing such a path, but I don't mind. He can have all his money and think what he likes, but I'm now happy doing something I'll be happy to spend my life doing.

It's not something I've always wanted to do. I still do not have that one-thing in-mind that I'd love to spend my life working in. But, I'm happy to be doing it. I'm getting something out of it.

That's what, I feel, matters most in a career. It's not just a 'job'. :)

Good luck, all the same. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.