GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thoughts"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/08/04 at 22:37
Regular
I figure it's about time I get myself a career.
Or at least a decent-paying stable job.

I'm getting on a bit, finished my degree, taken a year out, and in a year I'll have finished my masters (to kill time).
I need to get my own place, get some money together, settle down. And a career, or something with a decent wage, is central to doing that. Really it has to be fairly long term too.

And that's my gripe - 'long term'.
I've never had a job which I've held for more than a couple of weeks, without hating it, going to work, being unhappy, going home, finding I'd wasted a whole day of my life doing nothing that made the day worth living.
Time is the essence of life and all that, when time slips away, wasted, it's your life that you're wasting. Another day closer to the grave, and another day you might as well not have been alive.

I admit I've never had particularly good jobs, but I've done office work, shop work, manual work, it all quickly becomes boring, uninteresting and unenjoyable. And then you're wasting your life again.

I guess I have a vey short attention span, things become samey fast, and then it's hard to care about what you're doing.
I can't see a job where that wouldn't be a problem.
I can't imagine a job where it wouldn't be a problem.
So I can't imagine a job where, long term, I could be anything but unhappy.

I'm qualified for nothing.
I have a law degree, but that's not a qualification to practice law.
Everything else, I'm unqualified for.
I guess there's graduate stuff, but I've never seen anything that doesn't suck.
After the masters I'll be (moderately) qualified to work in forensics, but I don't want to. To be honest, if I hadn't already signed my rent contract I doubt I'd still be going at all.

I have one job in mind to apply to after the masters, but even that will probably decay into miserable toil. No worse than anything else at least. But that's only if I get the job.

I think I'd quite like to train dolphins for scientific research - see how far I could take them in developing communication. I've seen some impressive stuff in that field, but all the people working there seem to lack the vision to take things forward a level.
But that's a pipe dream, something I'll never get the opportunity to do.

Being condemned to a life of miserable toil scares the crap out of me.

I don't know if I'm looking for advice, or just trying to get it off my chest. I think a bit of both.
Ah well, I'm out of stuff to say. Thanks for reading, if you did.
Fri 03/09/04 at 15:09
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Even if I don't really know what I want to do, I'm kinda relentless
> in making sure I do what *I* want to do. While pretty much all my
> decisions revolve around story telling, there's one particular
> interest I'm desperate to utilise.

Ah, I'm so confused. Do I go for what I really want to do (out of the range of things that it's actually possible to do), or settle for the money?
I think realism creeps into any job at some stange, just to different extents. That makes it even harder to find the right balance.
Oh well, at least I'm sweating it now, not 20 years down the line when I'm having a mid-life crisis and feeling I've pi**ed half my life against a wall.

> I'm reeaaally kinda interested in animation, stop motion animation in
> particular... which comes from being a bit of a control freak. It's
> so difficult to find a decent Uni course to do that though... I just
> need to motivate myself to start more of it in my spare time. I could
> easily make a short film. Damn my laziness.

Hmm, would a standard Film and TV course give you the grounding in the general principles of storytelling through tv media, and perhaps allow you the opportunity to work on projects using stop-motion where others may use 'normal' filming techniques?
Wed 25/08/04 at 21:29
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I think it's just another test, another filter to see who is still allowed in.
Wed 25/08/04 at 20:21
Regular
"smile, it's free"
"Perhaps if we ignore him for long enough he'll go away"
Tue 24/08/04 at 22:59
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I can't even get anyone at Uni to tell me how to enrole next year.
Tue 24/08/04 at 22:53
Regular
"smile, it's free"
If everyone followed their dreams, who would serve me at Sainsbury's?

I've never yet met a little kid who's said "I want to be a checkout assistant when I grow up".

In a few weeks time I'll no longer be a student myself. Four years here... it's my whole lifestyle. What will I do? I'm not yet sure.

Nor do I want to think about it right now. I have a disseration to go and write :)
Tue 24/08/04 at 22:28
Regular
~pop~

I guess if 99% of us find it difficult to settle for any less, I imagine not many of us actually take up the bizzarity of actually 'following your dream' and ignoring all the reality nonsense. Which means lots of people still remain to run the cogs of the machine, so we can go about our nonsense unreality without any fear that the world will fall apart! Fantastic.

My father has actually taken me aside, sat down for an 'important talk' and has told me to stop being such a dreamer, and settle down and become a plumber/carpenter/bricklayer, because I'm not that special. Christ, as if I don't have enough self-esteem problems already, now not only do I have the voices in my head, my own family are against me now.

Even if I don't really know what I want to do, I'm kinda relentless in making sure I do what *I* want to do. While pretty much all my decisions revolve around story telling, there's one particular interest I'm desperate to utilise.

I'm reeaaally kinda interested in animation, stop motion animation in particular... which comes from being a bit of a control freak. It's so difficult to find a decent Uni course to do that though... I just need to motivate myself to start more of it in my spare time. I could easily make a short film. Damn my laziness.
Fri 20/08/04 at 11:07
Regular
I've been decided for years what I'm going to do. Get my degree in Biology, which I'm on at the moment, then get a Masters in Environmental Law. Then I'll take a (low-paying) job with Greenpeace or Worldwide Wildlife Fund, trying to help. And I don't care if that sounds idealistic, because "environmentalism" is what I'm really passionate about. I couldn't care less about human charities, and that probably sounds very fascist. Because I'd rather save an endangered insect species or something like that than the refugees from an African war.

How very right-wing of me...
Fri 20/08/04 at 00:58
Regular
"Excommunicated"
After reading this post it made me think what I'd want to do after Uni.

I've deceided with a degree in Social Sciences, Arts and a brief encounter with Science or a more technical subject I might like to move into some sort of charity.

The idea of working for some sort of The Office type company scares me, I think I'd like for some sort of non-profit company. And as I already work with WRVS I think it would be a wise move forward.

I had the intelligence and ability to study Medicine/Law but I've went along with what interests me so I think I should continue this into employment.

Rip me apart if you wish. Also, I may look into teaching but we'll see.
Fri 13/08/04 at 12:47
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> Well Duck, I'd say follow your dreams, but I don't think that it would
> be too good an idea in this case. Unless you know of a way to get
> funding for dolphin training.

Heh, I figure that's fair. But now I need a new dream. And earning a living as Halle Berry's gigolo doesn't sound so viable either :^(

> Why did you do a law degree if you have little intention of ever
> becoming a lawyer? I realise a lot of people go to university just
> because they want to, but law seems a strange choice for that.

I was considering the idea, and wasn't sure whether I wanted it or not.
Plus, there was nothing else I really wanted to do, then I got offered a scholarship for it, and sold out :^)

> I have what many would consider a fantastic job. It pays well,
> involves travelling a lot abroad and seems rather exotic. Except, it
> still has paperwork and obnoxious morons who can tell me what to do.

Come on, you can't just not tell us what it is now! :^D

> Get something for now, but keep looking. Above all though, don't let
> work rule your life. There are far more important things in life. 40
> hours a week is less than a quarter of the week. Keep that in mind.

Heh, fortunately I'm a month from starting killing time in a masters - more productive than killing time in a rubbish job, but not so good financially...
Thu 12/08/04 at 17:18
Regular
About time to get a career? just don't work in maccy D's, you'll learn the secret to milkshakes, it's not pretty, no one should drink rats milk, well except maybe rats.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.