GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Revolution - movies only at E3?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/02/05 at 20:18
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Yer according to an interview with "Toyota" Ken Toyota, Nintendo Japans PR man,

"E3 will be the starting point for the Revolution. [We haven't decided] whether we will show the real machine, videos, or unveil the concept. ... We want to receive some level of evaluation, but releasing too much information is also another issue. We don't have the slightest intention of making a machine that follows the same path as conventional game hardware. Right now, we are thinking of how we can accurately convey to people at E3 the different path that the Revolution will take and how it will change the way that games will be enjoyed."

With PS3 and Xbox 2 confirmed playable, it would be an idiotic move by Nintendo not to have some sort of hands on demonstration of the Revolution. If the reason that they keep everything movie form is because they don't have any actual playable games, then Nintendo are in trouble. With Revolution's Launch pencilled in (by us) for 12 - 18 months time, no playable software, indeed no playable hardware is a worrying sign.

If 3rd parties don't get a chance to get to grips with Revolution soon, the launch will be another 3 game Nintendo only affair, and up against stiff competition from Sony and Microsoft (despite what Nintendo like to think), their own Revolutionary games won't be enough to carry the console.
Mon 07/02/05 at 14:23
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Dringo I don't see why you don't agree that Nintendo need to keep up
> with the competition. They like to think that they can just plow
> their own field and whatnot, and not compete with Sony and Microsoft,
> but people don't have enough money to support 2 consoles.

Oh right so Nintendo didn't say they need to release their console at the same time as the competiton. Nintendo didn't say they need to show Revolution in some form this year and Nintendo didn't say they were going to be more competitive.

Oh wait Nintendo said all of that. So I guess once again Gerrid is making more assumptions based on nothing but past mistakes.

> The Nintendo fan IS the hardcore fan - the very people that you say
> are interested in E3. If Nintendo disappoint us, like they did back
> in 2000, where they didn't show the 'Dolphin' or the GBA to the
> public, instead focusing on their "great" software lineup,
> they will disappoint. This years E3 is being hyped BY EVERYONE as the
> battle of the next consoles. If Nintendo fail to show up, instead
> saying "look at our Gamecube that none of you have or
> want", they'll just lose even more support.

But Nintendo are showing Revolution? You seem to be confused with what they are/aren't showing. I wasn't dissapointed they didn't show Gamecube. I never read a post saying they were dissapointed.

> You have such faith that Nintendo will just be able to survive off
> their own backs, that people will buy the console just because it
> says "Nintendo" on it. You've already seen the amount of
> Nintendo fans disappointed by the Gamecube, who've left it for the
> Xbox, they all post here - Hedfix is one of them, and the GC hasn't
> had 3rd party problems. And there won't be a Spaceworld this year
> Dringo - Nintendo have given it up. There is nothing as big as E3. If
> the public don't watch E3 why would they pay attention to ECTS or the
> GDC? It doesn't make any sense. The press wll be reporting on E3, the
> unveiling of the new consoles - you can see it now "PS3 and
> Xb360 unveiled....Nintendo hints at Revolution". It just isn't
> enough.

Hints at revolution? They're showing videos of the games and how the machine is going to work. AT LEAST! That's a massive announcement. Articles won't read like that. It'll read "the console war begins". Sony had this, and it was like this and that. Nintendo showed us this and promised us this and that. There is really little difference. How do you know they've stopped doing Spaceworld? Because there hasn't been one for 2 years? They stopped spaceworld several times because they feel it wasn't needed. I don't care about Nintendo's survival. A company making that much profit can't really be in any trouble. That isn't an issue. What is an issue is this frankly comical argument you've created.

Go to Cube-Europe where this is being discussed. Not one person has raised your "point". Go to the CE forums. Not in there either. Or the Nintendo official forum either. There is no one that's worried about what Nintendo are going to show because they know Nintendo will show enough to counter the competiton. They always do. E3 is, always will be Nintendo's moment in the spotlight before Sony and Microsoft run off with the sales.

I don't care what you think. No one is gonna be bothered about the next gen consoles until they're near release. By then most gamers will know of all 3 systems and what they offer/don't offer. Stop making such a fuss because Nintendo MIGHT not show much 18 months before the system is due to launch and a good 15 months before anyone is actually gonna give a s**t.

> I'm not saying that I'm fed up with the Gamecube - I'd prefer if
> there weren't any new consoles coming up yet, but THERE ARE. Nintendo
> can't just ignore it and think the GC will hold it's own.

Nintendo aren't, you're assuming they are.

It didn't
> hold it's own against equal oppostion how on earth will it manage it
> against much much stronger competition? Because it's cheap? It's
> bloody cheap now!

Eh? The Revolution is launching along side PS3 you know this yes? Both aren't due till the end of 2006 (roughly) so Nintendo have 18 months with what? Nothing to sell? Oh maybe a Gamecube. And perhaps a fallen fan base to restore.

And still the PS2 and Xbox sell more. I don't CARE
> what Nintendo do in Japan. Less support in Europe and the UK means
> less attention paid to us, means less specific deals, longer waits
> for games etc. Everything we got with the N64.
> I want to see Nintendo succeed here, where we live.

Why? Who cares? Less sales in Europe means the opposite. More specific deals, less waits and more advertisement. Nintendo don't ditch areas because they're doing badly they spend more time in it. Nintendo are doing terribly in Japan and that is their first priority. Regain land at home.

> And ARG I never said there would be no 3rd party Revolution support!
> Why on earth do you keep saying like I did?

You've harped on about third parties not having the system to work on.

And re-reading your original article you said Nintendo seem to think all they need is themselves.

Well not according to Nintendo who constantly insist they need third party support.
Mon 07/02/05 at 14:11
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:

> Gaming is mainstream nowadays. People might not care about every
> intricate detail of what happens at the show, but they will be aware
> of it. Magazines and what not will feature stuff that has happened,
> but the thing about this years E3 will be the announcement of the
> PS3/Xbox2.

You are aware Revolution is gonna be there in some form too though?

Right?

So it gets coverage?

Yes?

What's the problem?
Sun 06/02/05 at 23:54
Regular
Ninty could just have a Spaceworld in Autumn to show off Revolution. Makes the most sense to me.
Sun 06/02/05 at 21:47
Regular
"8==="
Edit it man!
Sun 06/02/05 at 21:31
Regular
"thursdayton!"
gerrid wrote:
> Yer Dringo made this massive post calling everyone here a crab (I've
> substituted in a new, less offensive word).

Do you mean c u n t?
Sun 06/02/05 at 20:41
Regular
"8==="
*Gets pointlessly worked up over hypothetical argument*

Reminds me of a nuclear war argument I had when I was 12. :D
Sun 06/02/05 at 19:07
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Yer Dringo made this massive post calling everyone here a crab (I've substituted in a new, less offensive word).
Sun 06/02/05 at 18:41
Regular
Did a post get deleted or something?
Sun 06/02/05 at 14:35
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Bl0rk.
Sun 06/02/05 at 13:31
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Dringo I was only rerouting your circuits. Don't go into overdrive! Oh no he's shorted out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.