GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doom 3 Ro>

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/08/04 at 00:55
Regular
I've just played it and it is superb.

I have an AMD 2.4, 512 ram and a 9600 and I can run the game at 1280 x 1024 on medium specs with very little framerate drops. And even on these settings the graphics are the best you'll have ever seen.

Gameplay wise the game is s**t scary. Playing in a dark room, all alone, at half 12 in the morning doesn't help matters. At one stage it made me jump 3 times in about 2 minutes.

One of the features I like most is that you have a PDA that stores all your emails, facts, videos and everything on. You can hook it up to machines to download more emails and data etc. The interactivity is also brilliant. When you look at a control panel your crosshair turns into a mouse pointer making it great to select the functions.

Lighting is another thing I love about this game. You need to play the game to appreciate how good it is. The flashlight is also superb, and in a dark game like Doom 3, proves very useful.

[S]P.S. I shall be purchasing the legit copy on Friday :P I just couldn't wait.
Sun 15/08/04 at 10:32
Regular
"Im a Daddy :-)"
Thanks for the help, I just had a go but it did not recognise something in the computer. Is there any other way?
Sat 14/08/04 at 23:25
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Belldandy wrote:
> Anyone with an ATI Radeon based card needs to get the beta 4.9 drivers
> for it, they are optimised for Doom 3 - get them at Fileplanet.com
> and ATI [URL]http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html[/URL].

4.9 drivers are unstable and people have reported crashes. Best to get the 4.7 or 4.8 and put in the new OpenGL file from 4.9 as this is the only thing that has changed in the drivers.
Sat 14/08/04 at 15:15
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
2G2 wrote:
> Is there a web site I can go to where I can find out if doom3 will run
> on my pc? I read the the specs on the back of the box but it doesnt
> mention onboard graphics.

Actually there is, go to this site [URL]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/gameadvisor/default.mspx[/URL] and download Microsoft's Game Advisor - it'll look at what you have in the PC and compare it to the games - it has most current stuff including Doom 3 so should be fine for your purposes.
Sat 14/08/04 at 13:09
Regular
Not 100% sure,I think the main problem is that it doesnt support transform and lighting. I read on Intels web site that there is a way of putting this onto the main processor. Any now how to do this?
Sat 14/08/04 at 12:15
Regular
What onboard graphics have you got? Even the best onboard graphics will struggle to run Doom 3, so chances are pretty low.
Sat 14/08/04 at 12:02
Regular
Is there a web site I can go to where I can find out if doom3 will run on my pc? I read the the specs on the back of the box but it doesnt mention onboard graphics.
Thu 12/08/04 at 17:30
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Anyone with an ATI Radeon based card needs to get the beta 4.9 drivers for it, they are optimised for Doom 3 - get them at Fileplanet.com and ATI [URL]http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html[/URL].
Thu 12/08/04 at 17:10
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Goatboy wrote:
> I do hope you haven't downloading an illegal copy, it's illegal and
> harms developers.

Pff, laws are made to be broken.

> And piracy funds terrorism.

So does eating at KFC.
Thu 12/08/04 at 17:01
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Got it today, superb, sure it's a bit repetative and fairly linear, but I wasn't expecting anything else. It can also be very scary in places, especially the area's where you can hear people whispering to you.

Graphics wise everything looks amazing, I've suffered some slight slowdown in places, but nothing to loose sleep over and certainly nothing that spoils the flow of the game. I can run everything on high detail with little to no problems.
Thu 12/08/04 at 16:49
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
adrian wrote:
> Alexrose1uk wrote:
> Should run nicely on my setup though:
> Athlon 2.8 GHz
> 512MB Ram
> N-Force 2 Dolby 5.1 Sound
> Radeon 9800Pro 128MB Graphics Card
>
> Same as me but I have 1Gb RAM. You will be able to get 1280x1024 in
> medium Quality, maybe best to run at 1024x768. Dont go for high
> quality as opening doors into new areas is jerky, because high
> quality is for 256Mb cards. You want to tweak the config as well so
> you can enable AF as that is not enabled in medium quality and isnt
> an option to turn on at all in the game.

Heh... not too worried about AF as I'm quite happy with moderate graphics as long as the frame rate isn't rubbish.
Also, I've only got a 15" monitor, capable of upto 1024x768 so I'd be running it on that anyways. Hopefully with medium/low graphics settings plus latest Catalyst (4.7) drivers I ought to be able to get a decent fps.

Also, if anyones mildly interested the RAM is also GEIL Golden Value pc3200 @ CAS 2 7-3-3.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.