GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Doom 3 Ro>

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/08/04 at 00:55
Regular
I've just played it and it is superb.

I have an AMD 2.4, 512 ram and a 9600 and I can run the game at 1280 x 1024 on medium specs with very little framerate drops. And even on these settings the graphics are the best you'll have ever seen.

Gameplay wise the game is s**t scary. Playing in a dark room, all alone, at half 12 in the morning doesn't help matters. At one stage it made me jump 3 times in about 2 minutes.

One of the features I like most is that you have a PDA that stores all your emails, facts, videos and everything on. You can hook it up to machines to download more emails and data etc. The interactivity is also brilliant. When you look at a control panel your crosshair turns into a mouse pointer making it great to select the functions.

Lighting is another thing I love about this game. You need to play the game to appreciate how good it is. The flashlight is also superb, and in a dark game like Doom 3, proves very useful.

[S]P.S. I shall be purchasing the legit copy on Friday :P I just couldn't wait.
Fri 20/08/04 at 18:00
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Eep, just got to hell, a bit upset that I might be close to the end but it's been great so far, minus the annoying random enemy spawning. Still, I hope Doom 4 is on the cards, hell on earth perhaps? it certainly wouldn't hurt to have levels that aren't confined to corridors.
Thu 19/08/04 at 20:05
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
adrian wrote:
> Alexrose1uk wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> Well thats ok then. I will install the proper ones in time. Got the
> update OpenGL file which was updated and I got the modified shader
> file which gives a big performance increase.
>
> What modified Shader file?
>
> [URL]http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14967[/URL]
> Download
> [URL]http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14874[/URL]
> Discussion
>
> Note this is ONLY for ATI cards and NOT nVidia, as the
> nVidia cards perform slower. The way the look up table is done at the
> moment favours the nVidia cards and as there isnt really a ATI path
> in Doom 3 unlike the many nVidia ones this modified shader helps. The
> ATI cards favour more mathmatical calculations so the modified
> shadered takes that into consideration. The best results are on high
> end ATI cards such as X800's, so a 9600 might give you less
> improvement, as its slower.
>
> Even John Carmack is thinking of putting this into the next Doom 3
> patch. Basically he didnt want all the different paths in the game
> and wanted all hardware to follow ARB2 but the look up method favours
> nVidia hardware.

So basically the Doom 3 graphics subsytem favours the NVidia graphical processing system, despite it actually being slower.... man... that sucks... Carmack better address that as a patch otherwise he's going to have a lot of unhappy techies after him lol
Wed 18/08/04 at 22:39
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Alexrose1uk wrote:
> adrian wrote:
>
> What modified Shader file?

[URL]http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14967[/URL] Download
[URL]http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14874[/URL] Discussion

Note this is ONLY for ATI cards and NOT nVidia, as the nVidia cards perform slower. The way the look up table is done at the moment favours the nVidia cards and as there isnt really a ATI path in Doom 3 unlike the many nVidia ones this modified shader helps. The ATI cards favour more mathmatical calculations so the modified shadered takes that into consideration. The best results are on high end ATI cards such as X800's, so a 9600 might give you less improvement, as its slower.

Even John Carmack is thinking of putting this into the next Doom 3 patch. Basically he didnt want all the different paths in the game and wanted all hardware to follow ARB2 but the look up method favours nVidia hardware.
Wed 18/08/04 at 13:25
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
adrian wrote:

What modified Shader file?
Tue 17/08/04 at 23:25
Regular
"A man with a stick"
futuramafan wrote:
> join the club m8, my copy of doom 3 has not despatched

Who was that a reply too? You're the only one before me who says their copy hasn't been dispatched yet, so was it a reply to yourself?
Tue 17/08/04 at 23:19
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Well thats ok then. I will install the proper ones in time. Got the update OpenGL file which was updated and I got the modified shader file which gives a big performance increase.
Tue 17/08/04 at 19:30
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
adrian wrote:
> 4.9 drivers are unstable and people have reported crashes. Best to
> get the 4.7 or 4.8 and put in the new OpenGL file from 4.9 as this is
> the only thing that has changed in the drivers.

Well the 4.9's are fine here, survived Doom 3 and a marathon 6 hours of Joint Operations yesterday.
Tue 17/08/04 at 19:13
Regular
"good news everyone"
join the club m8, my copy of doom 3 has not despatched
Mon 16/08/04 at 22:44
Regular
"A man with a stick"
You can get a chainsaw, crikey, it's amazing at turning zombies into heaps of bloody meat chunks.
Mon 16/08/04 at 20:52
Regular
"good news everyone"
i am angry i ordered the game and it has not been despatched yet

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.