GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DS - Abandon ship!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/02/05 at 09:35
Regular
"and PC user"
Latest figures from Japan show the DS sales slowing to a crawl, while PSP keeps on pushing ahead. Infact, although DS was launched in Japan before PSP, the hard fact is that now PSP has overtaken the Nintendo DS.

Units sold
249,000 DS
267,000 PSP

Nintendo need to do some thing fast if they want to stay in the game. In Japan, Nintendo should be able to crush Sony, but it appears they can't, even remembering DS was launched before PSP there.

If the trend is repeated world wide, and Sony PSP continue's to increase it's lead, where will that leave DS? Being pushed into 2nd place world wide is a real possibility now, which would in turn have an effect on developers who want to design for the most used system. Add to that the low number of Nintendo GameCube's, an we have to ask, what is the future for Nintendo?
Tue 08/02/05 at 13:29
Regular
"Long live videogame"
I agree that PSP and DS can co exist however it depends on how much of the market Nintendo can hold onto.

I for one would not like to see Nintendo go under having 2 companies only benifits the consumer as this keeps both parties on their toes. If Nintendo do go under though it will be an example to others of how not to run a gaming business.
Tue 08/02/05 at 13:30
Regular
What is it with all the molesting going on in the game titles for DS?

I really don't know if this touch screen was a good idea.
Tue 08/02/05 at 13:33
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Also Macintosh. If you are so orgasmic over a PSP and defend it with a passion, plus have NObad points to make about it, why on earth do you not frequent the dedicated PSP/SONY forum? There's one there you know! In fact if you listen you will hear it calling you.
Tue 08/02/05 at 13:34
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> What is it with all the molesting going on in the game titles for DS?
>
> I really don't know if this touch screen was a good idea.

Believe me, it's a good idea.
Tue 08/02/05 at 13:53
Regular
Oh my Goddness Macintosh you just made a fool of yourself.

That is just the 2005 figure, of course PSP results are higher because there was a shortage of them before christmas.

Over all the DS figures are a million higher than the PSP.

I love it when you make an idiot out of yourself. Which is all the time.

And Nintendo sales figures are not slowing to a crawl, 40,000 sales a week is a fantastic result, Nintendo are very pleased with that. Sony's are a bit mad at the moment, mainly due to the shortages before christmas.
Tue 08/02/05 at 13:59
Regular
Gadget boy wrote:
> I agree that PSP and DS can co exist however it depends on how much of
> the market Nintendo can hold onto.

DS sales are very very high, 40,000 roughly with the GBA's sales roughly 10,000.

That's 50,000 sales for the handheld market at Nintendo's door. That's roughly the same as they got during the GBA SP's reign without competiton.

Now you also need to remember, that unlike Sony, Nintendo publish all of the top selling Games on their system. Sony publish just a couple.

Thusly Nintendo enjoy the profits made by the software, look at the DS, the biggest selling games are Mario 64 DS and Wario Ware Touched. Meaning Nintendo (who probably make a small loss on the system) make up for it with the great sales of those 2 titles.

The PSP's biggest seller doesn't come close to Mario 64 DS or Wario Ware, in fact it hasn't even been in the charts. It is also a racing game by Konami. Sony are making a bigger loss on the system than Nintendo and also don't have Sony published titles in there. In fact just the 1 game, Wipeout, and that hasn't set Japan alight. Thusly Sony are relying on the commission paid by third parties.

The difference between Nintendo and Sony is that Sony need to sell millions to make millions. People buy Nintendo machines for Nintendo games and so Nintendo make more money per consumer than Sony does.

I mean I personally have bought thousands of pounds worth of Nintendo gaming products. I'm sure the average PS gamer only has GT in their collection from Sony.
Tue 08/02/05 at 14:52
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It's a fanboy. Just laugh at it.
Tue 08/02/05 at 15:40
Regular
"Hiro is a Hero"
Nobody can predict the entire outcome of a single piece of hardware against another just by looking at the Japanese sales ratings. Everyone knows how much the Japanese loves technology as much as American's love burgers. We should be looking at the American sales and soon enough the European sales to make a better prediction, the only reason Sony fanboys have made this topic is because they found a pretty inconclusive fact that the PSP is winning against the DS and exaggerate beyond belief so they think its already a win for the PSP.
Tue 08/02/05 at 16:01
Regular
"Two year break!"
Dringo wrote:
Sony are making a bigger loss on the system than
> Nintendo and also don't have Sony published titles in there.

> In fact just the 1 game, Wipeout, and that hasn't set Japan alight.

Erm, that's not out til April so I wouldn't imagine that it will have set Japan alight!

But very true otherwise. The likes of GT4 are to follow though and that will no doubt shift one or two copies...
Tue 08/02/05 at 18:02
Regular
I'm amazed that both companies have sold round numbers of their handhelds.

That's quite a feat.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.