GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DS - Abandon ship!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/02/05 at 09:35
Regular
"and PC user"
Latest figures from Japan show the DS sales slowing to a crawl, while PSP keeps on pushing ahead. Infact, although DS was launched in Japan before PSP, the hard fact is that now PSP has overtaken the Nintendo DS.

Units sold
249,000 DS
267,000 PSP

Nintendo need to do some thing fast if they want to stay in the game. In Japan, Nintendo should be able to crush Sony, but it appears they can't, even remembering DS was launched before PSP there.

If the trend is repeated world wide, and Sony PSP continue's to increase it's lead, where will that leave DS? Being pushed into 2nd place world wide is a real possibility now, which would in turn have an effect on developers who want to design for the most used system. Add to that the low number of Nintendo GameCube's, an we have to ask, what is the future for Nintendo?
Fri 11/02/05 at 23:12
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
but GamCube is now the cheapest to buy of
> all 3 consoles. £80, so there's not so much money being made on
> it now - dont forget the shops %, then VAT, then the cost to make it.
> Only the bit thats left over is clear profit for Nintendo.

VAT is 17.5%. Nintendo wouldn't bother selling it just to earn the government money. They'll be making something on it.
The shops make around 50p per unit sold. That's the same with Xbox and Playstation 2. They make the most money out of the games. That I know from my retail experience with two videogame retailers and 4 stores.
Fri 11/02/05 at 12:52
Regular
"8==="
Same goes for movies.

Fri 11/02/05 at 12:52
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Dringo's up before 1pm!
>
> *Dies of shock*

I've just come back from uni actually, been up since 6.
Fri 11/02/05 at 12:50
Regular
If a game doesn't involve guns or stealing cars or shooting people, then it is crap.

FACT

Fri 11/02/05 at 12:49
Regular
"8==="
Gadget boy wrote:
> It's all about branding ask anyone from any age what a playstation is
> and they can tell you. You can't say the same thing about the
> Gamecube.

Who's Mario again? :S
Fri 11/02/05 at 12:48
Regular
"8==="
Dringo's up before 1pm!

*Dies of shock*
Fri 11/02/05 at 12:47
Regular
Yeah they can, "the latest Nintendo console" is the general reply.
Fri 11/02/05 at 12:22
Regular
"Long live videogame"
It's all about branding ask anyone from any age what a playstation is and they can tell you. You can't say the same thing about the Gamecube.
Fri 11/02/05 at 11:49
Regular
"gsybe you!"
No, people know the Cube's there, they're just too cool for school and have no taste. Every time they go into a games shop (well, most of them) they'd see a Cube. Then they'd buy random trash and ignore it.
Fri 11/02/05 at 11:47
Regular
"and PC user"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> "IS DAT A GAME OR IS DAT A FRISBEE?"
>
> Of course they will you leper. Tons of people buy games without
> knowing what they are, when I was really oung I used to get games for
> my Atari ST solely based on the pictures on the box.

I stand by what I said. Sure a few people who go out and look for specif products will find them and buy them, but everyone else wont even know there is such a product, and if only a few shops stock it, it makes the problem worse. This is precisly what we are seeing with GameCube. Nintendo Cube fans know whats there, and they will hunt them down and buy one. But nobody else is doing the that. And if Nintendo want to reach the mass market like Sony, they have to correct this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.