GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Little Site Design Help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/07/04 at 15:42
Regular
"Bicycle"
Looking to achieve a box layout, center page. I don't want to use frames or iFrames, but I do want to define a specific height that can be bordered and scrolled within. However, it can, instead of scrolling, just continue to the side, in columns.
Wed 28/07/04 at 11:34
Regular
"Bicycle"
Yes!

Is amusing better than interesting?

Meh. You do know HTML right?
Wed 28/07/04 at 08:47
Regular
Heh, amusing topic to say the least :) Might have a delve into CSS myself this summer if I get some time.
Wed 28/07/04 at 05:09
Regular
"Bicycle"
Yeah I'm not a proffesional web-designer (otherwise I wouldn't be so... Naive or what-have-you). Just do it in my spare time. Make a teeny bit of money though. Was being stupid before.

And I don't know how I haven't come across DOM. Phi11ip hasn't though, but I'm looking into it... How odd.

They're still a lot I do know though, so don't hurt my (small) web-pridish-thingy. Still fun making sites though.

:(
Tue 27/07/04 at 22:58
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
> as well as
> specializing in accessibility and Standards and
>
>
> In which case, you should know that the standard in the UK is to
> spell -ising words with an S :-P

That's what comes from spending the last 5 years working for an Yank led company. We actually held a conference once just to decide wether to use z or s!
Tue 27/07/04 at 20:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Tyla wrote:
> as well as
> specializing in accessibility and Standards and

In which case, you should know that the standard in the UK is to spell -ising words with an S :-P
Tue 27/07/04 at 19:02
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Afternoon wrote:
> You will have to look at the visitors point of view, they will not
> install a new browser just to view a new site and they may like their
> own browser whether it be Netscape Internet Explorer or even Opera
> (which I use at home)

This isn't strictly true. The only reason M$ hold the market share is due to Windows being the dominant OS, just like Safari is becoming the standard browser for OSX users.

The idea behind using standards, correct symantic mark up and CSS is to remove the browser from the equation, therfore negating the need to ask uses to use browser X or using crap lines such as "optimized for browser X"

I do find it funny though that you have chosen to use an over rated browser which has ripped it's technolgies from other firms and yet still fails to interperate standards correctly!;) (Though admittidly I use Opera on my mobile phone, but only until mozilla arrives for the Symbian 60 platform)

There used to be a group called WASP who's job was to educate users about different browsers and inform them that they do have a choice when it comes to what they use for the internet access.

After checking the figures again today, IE is loosing, on average 2% of it's market share each month to Mozilla based browsers.

IMHO, IE will die completley when, and if, longhorn ever arrives and IE becomes part of the OS dependant on .NET technologies which are far from secure.

It's all coming down to security, and more and more users are becoming aware of how insecure M$ is. Afterall, anyone who designs on OS which allows remote users to install mallicious code on your system without you even knowing wants shooting!

fwiw, part of my job is user psychology and HCI as well as specializing in accessibility and Standards and you'll find that once educated, a user is quite happy and confident enough to change their trends.
Tue 27/07/04 at 14:21
Regular
I don't even use Microsoft Products anymore.
Tue 27/07/04 at 13:45
Regular
"Freeola Support"
You will have to look at the visitors point of view, they will not install a new browser just to view a new site and they may like their own browser whether it be Netscape Internet Explorer or even Opera (which I use at home)
Mon 26/07/04 at 19:24
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Well Internet Explorer is probably the least standards-complient
> browser there is. The fact that it's used by 94% of the world's
> population, just makes it worse.

Bizzarely enough I have a CSS file which makes IE standards compliant. I cleverly corrects all of it's inadequacies before applying your own styles. Very clever indeed. I'll dig out the URL later.

As for NutScrape (who ever mentioned that needs a slap!), no one uses it that much anymore due to it not being supported and the wide publicity of it's demise (thank god!)

And thanks to the latest publicity surrounding the crapness of the security in IE, it's figures are slowly dropping and being replaced with MOZ/FF!

Personally I do all of my testing in FF or MOZ the worry about IE as most thing in IE can be fixed with a few hacks.

Why develop for something thats imperfect in the first place?

[Puts in Zeldman hat] Standards are the way forward and by using them people will become more educated and shy away from the M$ they've been force fed for the last 8 years. Afterall, the internet is not Microsoft so why should we be forced to accept it the way IE thinks it should be [Takes off hat]
Mon 26/07/04 at 12:54
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well Internet Explorer is probably the least standards-complient browser there is. The fact that it's used by 94% of the world's population, just makes it worse.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.