GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is WoW any good?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'World of Warcraft'.
Mon 14/02/05 at 11:27
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I see it's slowly replacing CS:Source when I log into Xfire to see who's on. Downloaded a gameplay video and it was a little green man running through some trees for about 2 minutes, with not a lot happening. What do you do in it?
Mon 14/02/05 at 12:26
Regular
I tend to think of it as 'less than the cost of a game each Month'.

And since there's only 2-4 console games I want in the next 6 Months, rather than the 2-4 I used to buy every Month, I'd say it's worth it - for me at least.

Still, not everyone thinks like that, and it doesn't necessarily apply to everyone.
Mon 14/02/05 at 12:36
Regular
Was going to ask the same thing. Watching videos of RPG's in general doesn't exactly fill you with excitement. Trouble is, for £9 a month I doubt I would actually play it that much so it would just be wasted.

Read some review that say average, 5/10 and others that say it is the best PC game for a long while.

It does look incredibly bearded but I enjoyed Savage: JTBFN for the time I invested but that didn't take up your whole life levelling up in order to have the ability to ass rape a rat, plus the stats reset after every game and most only lasted an hour tops so it was a very light MMORPG.

Does look pretty interesting though and I have a couple of days booked off work early March time.
Mon 14/02/05 at 12:44
Regular
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4253647.stm[/URL]

A BBC review that actually sums it up nicely.

It's been dsigned to appeal more to the massmarket than other MMOOPRPSGSGM, allowing for short-burst gameplay as well as hardcore 24/7 anti-sunlight stuff.

It's definitely worth a look. You don't even have to join a guild or anything like that. It's possible to Solo, although you do have to join a team for some of the tougher missions - but you can leave them once your task is achieved.

I love it - and this is coming from a guy who usually hates this kind of Fantasy gameplay. I'm usually an FPS/Driving genre player, but hey - a breath of fresh air indeed.
Mon 14/02/05 at 13:02
Regular
"A man with a stick"
It’s fantastic. What? Monthly fee. Well yes, less that £10 a month. Honestly though, I can spend more than that a week on useless junk I don’t really need, I’m sure I can stretch to less than that a month on a game that’s fast getting me addicted. Plus the first month is free.

I suppose it can be considered beardy, though playing as one of the Undead, killing zombies, picking on helpless human farmers and cannibalising corpses to regain health, it’s surprisingly not as beardy as I thought.

I spend most of my time exploring. The world in which this game inhabits is vast and always has something new for you to discover, with each race having their own territories. I spent allot of time yesterday walking through the Undead “Undercity”, a huge, and I mean huge underground metropolis that really does have everything a fledgling corpse walker needs.

I love the little touches too, seeing a Non playable character turning humans into Frogs and Squirrels as part of their experiments, or spotting a few others engaged in gladiatorial fighting. And I’ve not even ventured past the borders of my own race yet.

It’s easy to get to grips with, the interface is as user friendly as you could want, skills are easy to manage, professions, which are optional do allow you to acquire money from more menial tasks, but you aren’t required to learn anyway so don’t have to if the thought of skinning animals to make leather armour, or mine to smelt bars ore and sell them at a profit doesn‘t appeal.

Also, I’ve yet to be hit by any serious latency issues. There is some Lag, which is understandable given this game supports thousands of players at any one time, but it’s far from serious and rarely impeder’s on the game. Considering that the WoW European launch is only a few days old, that’s quite incredible.

So yeah, paying less than a tenner a month for this is a bargain as far as I’m concerned. I’m already spending hours at a time on it so I’m certainly getting my money’s worth.
Mon 14/02/05 at 13:14
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
But can you flashbang your own team?
Mon 14/02/05 at 13:18
Regular
Aha :'}
Mon 14/02/05 at 14:28
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
No, but you could engineer a stick of dynamite and toss that in their direction. This game is awful, it consumes my life to such an extent that it's rare for me to think of anything else.

*Stands up*

I have a problem.
Mon 14/02/05 at 14:30
Regular
ßulle†† wrote:
> Don't see why he's trying so hard to level up so quick - it kinda
> takes the fun out of it.

Thanks.

It wouldn't be the fact that i'm enjoying it and i'm leveing up as i go, would it? Naaaaah.
Mon 14/02/05 at 16:24
Regular
WoW destroys lives.

Fact.
Mon 14/02/05 at 20:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
If you're concerned about the beardy factor, I'd recommend Star Wars Galaxies.
It's $11 per month - about £6.
I was a tad miffed at first because it seemed like everything could whip my ass, so I restarted another character on a different server and was immediately welcomed into a guild who equipped me with armour, weapons and money.
And have spent 2 weeks just on Tattooine visiting Ben Kenobi's house, running errands for Jabba courtesy of Bib Fortuna, hunting Sandpeople and trying to take down a Rancor with my team-mates.
And today have been on it since 1pm, blasting the crap out of Ewoks and Gungans en-mass and charging around in my landspeeder.

So that's two planets out of about 10, and they're immense.
And we haven't discussed the Jump to Lightspeed addition yet, which allows you space combat. There's something to be said for blasting Tie-Fighters in a Y-Wing.

Anyways, I have to get back and complete my Bounty Hunter levelling-up. When then I get to collect vast bounties on wretched hives of scum and villainy.
And then start to buy furniture for my house, just have a Han Solo wanted poster and a couch at the moment.

So yeah, WoW is probably good but I'm waaay to scared of pixies and wizards to immerse myself in that world.
I'll stick with being harassed by stormtroopers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.