GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"VOTE HERE FOR CHAT (OR NOT)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/04/01 at 21:50
Regular
Should Special Reserve have a chat room?

Or not.

One "man" one vote.

State you arguments too.

(Several days have now elapsed)

Here is the result of the Vote:

These guys voted NO:
Ant
Fishstick
Darkness
Bronzefinger
Sniper
Goatboy
Webmaster
M16
Terry

These guys voted or interpreted as YES:
Reaper
er-no
The Game
Monkey
Laurence
pb
Venom
Lewq
Morrigan
Time Warp
Grix

These guys are on the FENCE:
Batistuta
Tony
Tarrant
Sheepy
Edgy - who doesn't really care cos he doesn't use chatrooms much at all....
Thu 26/04/01 at 16:16
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I'll sayagain, there isn't a password on the room any more, and the only people that seemto have a problem with disappearing room names are Netscape users. I'm looking in to this, if any IE users have experienced it, please tell me.
Thu 26/04/01 at 16:14
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I just tried logging in with an @ in my name, and the IRC server wont recognise any nicks using tha, and therefore wont respond (@ is the standard symbol for an op, so people could fake being moderators). A nick without restricted symbols works fine.
General rule of thumb, stick to letters and numbers, with - and _ to seperate words
Thu 26/04/01 at 16:13
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
It isn't very clear I know...what you need to do is...

Change rooms...

You need then to enter - '#specialreserve' as the room name and - 'reserve' as the passowrd. Quiite tricky but easy if you know how.
Thu 26/04/01 at 16:10
I would consider myself as a technical minded person, but I just cannot seem to get this chat thing working. I go to the url (www.maxgames.net) and click the log in button. This asks me for a nickname and I type in 'webmaster@sr' but then how do I type a message? I cannot click in any of the boxes and none of the icons in the bottom right are highlighted.

We're about ready to link through to this at the moment, but I need to be sure it's going to work.

Thanks
Thu 26/04/01 at 15:58
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I've just been to check the server status again, everything's still running as normal. I've never heard of a problem like this before, even from mac users - do you get any error messages appearing?
If there's no hints to the problem appearing on the chat window, what browser/OS combination are you using? I'll try and look in to it, I've had a problem with netscape cookies changing the entries once before.
Thu 26/04/01 at 15:54
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Reaper.

Did anybody work out why I could not get back in, after I came out of the chat room?

I arrive back at the chat room.
The box now asks for the room name.
I type in the room name #specialreserve.
Wait for it to connect - and nothing.

No cursor in the message box.
Thu 26/04/01 at 15:37
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
As I've said, the chat can be controlled (without a password, tony), so only people who know the exact room name can join, and it wouldn't appear on the standard channel list. I use MSN messenger too, and it's fine for just talking to one other person, or sometimes two, but I always use IRC for anything more than 2 - MSN limits you to 4 anyway. Also, it is extra software to download.
Thu 26/04/01 at 08:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I would vote NO for a chat room.

I have MSN for instant messagy type things.
With the Forums, you can check the topics, a conversation can carry on for weeks and you can check the history.

And, if nothing else, chat-rooms encourage some dangerously weird people to come on and try to pull.
I would say the forums are top fun and you consider more what you write, instant messaging allows for some pretty mundane talk.
Thu 26/04/01 at 08:06
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
I still vote NO, but he does have a point. No-one would just go into chat, and not the forums. In chat you cannot see what people have been talikng about. In the forums you know exactly where the conversation is going!
Wed 25/04/01 at 22:53
pb wrote:

I like these
> forums and the fact you can look at the historical (and sometimes
> hysterical) posts. There's no substitute for that.

Spot on - there is no subsitute. Chat rooms do not substitute forums, they simply compliment them. Some will use both, some will stick to just the forum, I can't see anyone leaving the forum and sticking to chat, so don't worry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.