GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PAL Anime Fans!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/06/04 at 12:21
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Virgin have got a sale on a lot of ADV DVDs, usually about £19.99 they are selling for £12.99 or 2 for £18, including the first 4 volumes of Noir, Burn up w and Burn Up Excess, Hellsing, Boogiepop Phantom, Bubblegum Crisis, Dirty Pair Flash, Neogenesis Evangelon, Vol1: Pretear, Vol1: Angelic Layer, Spriggen, Sin, Vol1: Najica Blitz Tactic, and some others, I can't remember them all.

Unfortunaly it meant I HAD TO spend £200 on getting a few things I wanted.
Thu 22/07/04 at 13:56
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
I think Virgin are doing a great job. I bought "Dirty-Pair-Flash: Angels at worlds end" and "DPF:Random Angels", both on the Virgin 2 for £18 offer, amongst others.
Mon 19/07/04 at 22:13
Regular
MVM add more future titles
MVM and Funimation are still busy aquiring new anime for release, with Trigun, Spiral, Gunslinger Girl and Tenchi Muyo OAV 3 now added to their list of future releases.
In other MVM news, the release of the Love Hina Christmas Special has been posponed until next year. This is because Bandai has insisted that the special not be released until after the regular series has finished.

To plug the resulting gap in ther release schedule, MVM have announced a Sailor Moon series one box set, which will be out on 4th October.

I'm glad Trigun is finally getting a release. Will anyone be getting it? Roalind, this one would be right up your street.

Not really heard of Gunslinger Girl, wonder what that's like.
Fri 16/07/04 at 17:30
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Another top deal on YesAsia - more so if ordering over $49 - is the Grave Of The Fireflies DVD at $19.95 - Region 2, english subs, limited edition.

Plus, HMV is doing 2 for 22 on anime titles online, though these appear to be the same as the ones Virgin does in store for 2 for 18....

Other than that, I read in Newtype USA that MVM is having massive problems getting it's newly licensed titles Fruits Basket, Love Hina, Chobits etc sorted with the BBFC, often for insane reasons - Fruits Basket failed the first time to get the certficate MVM wanted for the cardinal sin of.....not having the main title in english in large text, despite their being the title in the subs.... As Newtype points out, it seems daft that such tame titles are hitting problems when more iffily titled releases, and more extreme releases, sail through the process.

And AD Police continues to be set back by Manga Entertainment, as does Ghost in the Shell tv series.

One interesting thing I have found out is that some of the old ADV US Region 1 titles, whilst having region 1 on the box, are NOT region coded - I've found Bubblegum Crisis (series and 2040) are not, Those Who Hunt Elves is not either, and there must be more of them.
Mon 12/07/04 at 11:43
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Just to reinforce the YesAsia praise, I’ve ordered a few things from there and haven’t had problems. Their site isn’t always the best to navigate, but they have a huge amount of stuff on there.
The shopping experience has always been simple and straightforward, and the VAT free shipping (if you spend over $49) is great.

The prices of the things I’ve ordered are much lower than if you had of bought them from somewhere else (I use Movietyme quite a bit for anime, even though they’re a bit more than some other places, and I used to use them for Asian cinema before I started using YesAsia).

For example:

Natural City (ambitious but flawed Korean Blade Runner rip-off): YesAsia: £13.44, Movietyme: £17.99

Wonderful Days (gorgeous but fairly shallow Korean multimation movie): YesAsia: £11.29, Movietyme: £14.99

Old Boy (highly acclaimed Korean revenge thriller. Won a Grand Prix prize at this years Cannes and could be one of the big Eastern films that people talk about when it/if arrives here): YesAsia: £12.37, Movietyme: £16.99

Ju-on: The Grudge (the next big Japanese horror film after The Ring) YesAsia: £8.60, Movietyme: £18.99 (I think they’re two different versions, but not too different I don’t think.

Shaolin Soccer, a film I've heard loads about but hadn't got around to getting, is just over a fiver at YesAsia compared to the £9.99 at Movietyme.

Plus there are loads of special edition boxset films that are £10 or more cheaper at YesAsia, like the Better Tomorrow Trilogy special edition boxset for example.

So you see, just from those examples, rather than buying those films from my regular place, I got them from YesAsia and saved quite a bit. They're definitely worth checking out if you're thinking of buying foreign films, foreign anime dvds and all the other Eastern stuff they sell.

Sales pitch over.
Sun 11/07/04 at 23:39
Regular
Ah that's excellent Belldandy thank you very much ^_^ its good to see a good Japanese mailorder company now that the America ones have sorted themselves out and made it a lot easier. The place looks great too, obviously a clone of amazon.

Glad to hear their customer service isnt like theres though, I hate cut and paste responses, that really ticks me off (got one from paypal not long ago)

Thank you for the tips and warnings it'll make it a lot easier on me now :) cheers.

Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> Didn't think it was that complex to be honest, maybe just me?
>
> Funniest thing Ive seen this month is Najica with the crazy
> commentary :D

finally someone who's seen the Najica commentaries ^_^ have you seen all 3? I really like them and they make the whole series better, they really have fun it seems. So it was a very good idea.

Rosalind have you seen the Najica commentaries yet? If not please do, Stranger in Paradise seems to like them and I carry on listening to them, spare 5 minutes and check it out, I would hope you would really like it and have a laugh ^_^

That goes to anyone else who has Najica on dvd. It's a nice series, if you can get it cheap I would highly recommend it maybe for the commentaries alone :D
Sun 11/07/04 at 22:53
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Didn't think it was that complex to be honest, maybe just me?

Funniest thing Ive seen this month is Najica with the crazy commentary :D
Sun 11/07/04 at 20:33
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
Evangelion rules
I recommend its purchase only for those who like intelligent animes
Sun 11/07/04 at 12:33
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
poke wrote:
> So Belldandy I was going to ask you or Totoro who would be best to
> order DVDs from Japan and whether I would likely have to spend an arm
> and a leg if customs got their hands on it. But you (and dvdtimes)
> seem to recommended this yesasia so I think I'll give them a try.

I canot recommend Yesasia enough, they are brilliant - BUT make sure you always order over $50 and choose standard shipping to get it free and avoid customs legally. You'll have to wait about two weeks for your goods but you're getting them cheap and not paying any tax. Another good thing is right now the US $ is weak, so you can buy loads of stuff cheaply - though if you preorder they do not bill until they ship.

There customer service is excellent as well, typically they will respond faster than Amazon do to emails, and you can tell someone has actually looked at your question rather than copying and pasting a standard reply like many places do.

The only slight downer is that if you order $250 (might be $200, it tells you somewhere) or more they have to do another level of verification on your credit card which takes an age to sort out, so in the unlikely event you are doing so, make sure you split large orders to below the level. Whilst this sounds a pain it at least shows they take the use of cards seriously - by comparison I spent well over that at GAME's online store last month and no one batted an eyelid.
Sat 10/07/04 at 21:25
"Metal Head"
Sprigen is My fav anime. Sweet combat sequinces, and the blood.
Sat 10/07/04 at 19:40
Regular
he really loves his Basset hounds :) I suppose some of these versions of limited edition, kinda like with Nausicaa and the super duper LE version that Totoro showed off.

So Belldandy I was going to ask you or Totoro who would be best to order DVDs from Japan and whether I would likely have to spend an arm and a leg if customs got their hands on it. But you (and dvdtimes) seem to recommended this yesasia so I think I'll give them a try.

My reasons are to get Laputa, the first English dub which I think is on the Japanese release and not the Disney dub. Just checked Porco Rosso and that says it has English & French (bonus because I want to hear Jean Reno as Marco) audio too, so that interests me even more. Yikes $46 :S that's a bit pricey for a DVD, well not if the exchange rate goes to $2 to the £ hmm

Is my understand correct in that all Ghibli releases in the UK include dubtitles? Then I think it's likely I'll get all the Japanese releases as well. Poor Disney, for some reason they can't afford to pay the BBFC more to cover an actual translated subtitle.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.