GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The new plastic marketed music trend"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/06/04 at 01:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Oh the weary cycle of the musical industry.
It goes round and around every few years to a grindingly predictable fashion.
Rock is fashionable! Everybody wears big shorts and stupid keychains
Rock is dead!
Pop is fashionable! Everybody ironically enjoys Abba & Donna Summer
Pop is dead!
Teeny Band is fashionable! 4-5 dancing bears with 5yr old fans
Teeny Band is dead!
But the latest one is yet another spoke in the wheel, just dressed up a little better than usual.

Everybody is pretty much sick of pre-fabricated bands of people that dance and grin inanely to a backing track and perform energetic routines and are non-threatening and everybody loves 'em etc etc mumblemumblemumble
Right?
So what's the new "thing" that's just as carefully orchestrated as all the rest?
This "earnest young woman with piano/band that isn't plastic".
Be it Norah Jones/Katie Meluhah (sp?)/Jamie Callum. The industry realises that plastic pop isn't selling, and one or two "real" musicians breakthrough with a genuinely good album.
Case in point - Norah Jones. Hell, if you're the daughter of Ravi Shankar then chances are you inherited some talent and integrity.
Noticing these "real" artists sell well to an adult market (fickle and untrustworthy of label tactics), suddenly we have an influx of "real" artists. Look at the albums charts and what's being released.
Suddenly the labels are all "Hey, this person is genuine and writes her own stuff and, like, feels pain and things" and we're deluged with a production line of identikit "soulful" singers, plucked from musical academies the land over and carefully designed to appear non-designed.

Don't fall for it. If you like somebody, hurrah, go and enjoy.
But don't make the mistake of thinking suddenly there's been a shift in the mentality of a business that latches onto the latest new-thing and kills it by ramming it down your throat.

It's just a phase and within 6 months, 95% of these earnest "real" singers will be back doing dance routines and singing mindless ditties penned in Sweden for 5yr olds to buy.
It's inevitable, it's the industry.
It's just marketing and draining whatever may be a small breakthrough by one or two people by pumping their own versions into your brain.
Doubt that?
Really?
Happened with rock. The long-players are still going, have been for years.
Pantera, Helmet, Biohazard, Agnostic Front, Metallica (they used to matter but at least are still going...but c'mon, what kind of comment is it when a bass-player says you suck and leaves??), and countless others that will be around for ages.
Where then, are the Papa Roaches and the Sum41s and the other "nu-metal" lunkheads that were assembled in a casting room and piped into your brain?

Exactly.
It's just a phase
Sun 20/06/04 at 11:38
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Der Nazi wrote:

> Papa Roach are hardcore punk,

no, no NO!!!!
Black Flag were hardocore punk, Papa Roach are whiny bitchwhipped poser "metal"

> and Sum 41 are punks themselves
> (Although they count Judas Priest and Iron Maiden as influences, so
> they do have a slightly more metallic sound).

while i agree that Sum41 appear to have more appreciation for the roots of their music than throwaway rubbish like Good Charlotte, i wouldn't read too much into the relationship between their influences and their guitar sound :)

> Nu Metal is stuff like
> Limp Bizkit and the Lost Prophets,

hmmmm, i wouldn't say Lost Prophets were nu-metal either. they're more leaning towards melodic hardcore then anything. Nu-metal (when it was in full swing) were bands like Orgy, Limp Bizkit and Korn.

> A lot of heavy metal bands aren't as good as they were, notably
> Metallica,

yeah, how the mighty have fallen...

> Good classic heavy metal still exists, but it's not
> such a big scene now.

check out Sonata Arctica :)
if ya like your rockin to be old-school then they're definitely worth a listen!
Sun 20/06/04 at 11:36
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I used to think that I had a bad taste in music, but now I know that anyone who follows the chart trends is just a gullible fool. Every once in a while a band will make it in the charts that deserves it, but most of the bands I identify with wouldn't give the slightest toss if they got to number one. I listen to music for the music, goddamit. Guitars, pianos, drums, weird sound effects, singing, lyrics - that's what I like. Not River Island catalogue models behaving like trained chimps.

Occassionally a decent pop song will come out though. That Britney Spears one with the motorbike-in-video-bit was good, no matter how much I hate her stupid guts. But that's just production - anyone can sing like that. Same with Madonna (or Esther, or whatever). The Ray of Light, and Music albums were both excellently produced, and I could have happily listened to them as instrumental arrangements. And I'm ashamed to say it, but that new Slipknot song has a catchy chorus!

I'm really into Hip-Hop and chilled out stuff at the moment. I could never make that sort of music, because it only sounds good with an American accent. If I could come up with some sorts of cockney rap style, then I'd definitely give it a go. I've been doing a lot of "cut & paste" mixing, taking old songs and making new ones from individual parts. I'm not a singer, or rapper, or even a talker - just want to make music.
Sun 20/06/04 at 10:49
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Der Nazi wrote:
> Papa Roach are hardcore punk, and Sum 41 are punks themselves
> (Although they count Judas Priest and Iron Maiden as influences, so
> they do have a slightly more metallic sound).
--------

Hah. HahahahaHAHAHAHAHA

Papa Roach hardcore punk? Sure they are, that's why they had videos on eMpTyV. I'm not sure what you think punk is (here's a clue, Green Day are NOT) but I recommend you check out bands like The UK Subs, The Exploited, The Damned, Black Flag, Flipper etc to see what punk is. Punk isn't having expensive videos and merchandising and freshly scrubbed middle-class suburb teens wailing about how tough life is when your parents don't understand you.

My point is, bands like Papa Roach are gone. They had their 15 mins whilst rock was once again flavour of the month and you'll not see them again, same with Sum 41 and their hilarious synched jump-in-time crazy antics (Busted with dyed hair).
Whether you want to argue about what genre Papa Roach fall under or similar sidelining issues, they rode the coat-tails of a movement and fell off. Thank christ, just as Limp Bizkit went from underground popular to playing Wembley and dating Britney Spears before it went full circle and everybody went off them.

A genuine trend starts thanks to one or two artists that have been working for an age for acknowledgement, they make it through and suddenly their hard work is negated by labels dusting off their own xerox copies and saturating the marketplace until nobody can realise why they liked it in the 1st place.
Sun 20/06/04 at 09:20
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
"Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan"

Jeff Buckley covered him on a live album, and I've been looking about trying to find at least -one- of his damn songs and I've failed each time.
Sun 20/06/04 at 08:00
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Goatboy wrote:
> Pantera, Helmet, Biohazard, Agnostic Front, Metallica (they used to
> matter but at least are still going...but c'mon, what kind of comment
> is it when a bass-player says you suck and leaves??), and countless
> others that will be around for ages.
> Where then, are the Papa Roaches and the Sum41s and the other
> "nu-metal" lunkheads that were assembled in a casting room
> and piped into your brain?

Papa Roach are hardcore punk, and Sum 41 are punks themselves (Although they count Judas Priest and Iron Maiden as influences, so they do have a slightly more metallic sound). Nu Metal is stuff like Limp Bizkit and the Lost Prophets, which to my mind serves no purpose aside from providing 10 year olds with what they love- music full of pointless swearing.

A lot of heavy metal bands aren't as good as they were, notably Metallica, but from what I've heard from Iron Maiden's recent Dance of Death album, they can still rock after 20-odd years in the business. Plus, Judas Priest (Now back with Rob Halford) will be recording after their world tour finishes this year, Diamond Head made an new ablum recently, and Black Sabbath may well be recording after Ozzfest. Good classic heavy metal still exists, but it's not such a big scene now.
Sun 20/06/04 at 02:13
Regular
mmmph, they've left, there is a deep yearning for something raw and filthy. I'd not be here if there was somewhere to park my fella, to put it bluntly.

pnarrrr
Sun 20/06/04 at 02:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Because you're on a computer talking to me.
Go away, wash your teeth and your bellend and go get some.

And Sepultura weren't god-bothering death metal, can't speak for recently as I lost interest.
They used to be angry shouty Brazilian flavoured rock, not death metal which consists of people with surnames like "Mortuus" singing about dead babies and satan etc.

Fudge Tunnel were a 3-piece from Nottingham that were purveyors of feedback, they turned it into an artform and were the heaviest, loudest band I ever saw live (apart from Ministry/NIN).
Check out "Hate Songs in E-Minor" for their best work.

Now I'm going for a fag and txt my MILF currently in Barcelona on a hen weekend.
Sun 20/06/04 at 02:02
Regular
I came home in a taxi with two fine young women, so why am I not laid yet?
Sun 20/06/04 at 01:59
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Tom Waits is good.
Sun 20/06/04 at 01:59
Regular
Goatboy wrote:

> Did they all commit ritual suicide shortly before kick-off when they
> realised the sum achievement, the crowning glory of their lives was
> going to be kicking a football around for 90 mins?

you hate football? it's not for everyone

*pats goatboy on head*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.