GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The new plastic marketed music trend"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/06/04 at 01:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Oh the weary cycle of the musical industry.
It goes round and around every few years to a grindingly predictable fashion.
Rock is fashionable! Everybody wears big shorts and stupid keychains
Rock is dead!
Pop is fashionable! Everybody ironically enjoys Abba & Donna Summer
Pop is dead!
Teeny Band is fashionable! 4-5 dancing bears with 5yr old fans
Teeny Band is dead!
But the latest one is yet another spoke in the wheel, just dressed up a little better than usual.

Everybody is pretty much sick of pre-fabricated bands of people that dance and grin inanely to a backing track and perform energetic routines and are non-threatening and everybody loves 'em etc etc mumblemumblemumble
Right?
So what's the new "thing" that's just as carefully orchestrated as all the rest?
This "earnest young woman with piano/band that isn't plastic".
Be it Norah Jones/Katie Meluhah (sp?)/Jamie Callum. The industry realises that plastic pop isn't selling, and one or two "real" musicians breakthrough with a genuinely good album.
Case in point - Norah Jones. Hell, if you're the daughter of Ravi Shankar then chances are you inherited some talent and integrity.
Noticing these "real" artists sell well to an adult market (fickle and untrustworthy of label tactics), suddenly we have an influx of "real" artists. Look at the albums charts and what's being released.
Suddenly the labels are all "Hey, this person is genuine and writes her own stuff and, like, feels pain and things" and we're deluged with a production line of identikit "soulful" singers, plucked from musical academies the land over and carefully designed to appear non-designed.

Don't fall for it. If you like somebody, hurrah, go and enjoy.
But don't make the mistake of thinking suddenly there's been a shift in the mentality of a business that latches onto the latest new-thing and kills it by ramming it down your throat.

It's just a phase and within 6 months, 95% of these earnest "real" singers will be back doing dance routines and singing mindless ditties penned in Sweden for 5yr olds to buy.
It's inevitable, it's the industry.
It's just marketing and draining whatever may be a small breakthrough by one or two people by pumping their own versions into your brain.
Doubt that?
Really?
Happened with rock. The long-players are still going, have been for years.
Pantera, Helmet, Biohazard, Agnostic Front, Metallica (they used to matter but at least are still going...but c'mon, what kind of comment is it when a bass-player says you suck and leaves??), and countless others that will be around for ages.
Where then, are the Papa Roaches and the Sum41s and the other "nu-metal" lunkheads that were assembled in a casting room and piped into your brain?

Exactly.
It's just a phase
Sun 20/06/04 at 16:46
Regular
"8==="
Indeed, although Limp Bizkit are ok as 'party music'.
Sun 20/06/04 at 16:45
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Yeah, the Lost prophets are actually good.
Sun 20/06/04 at 15:54
Regular
"8==="
Der Nazi wrote:

> Nu Metal is stuff like
> Limp Bizkit and the Lost Prophets, which to my mind serves no purpose
> aside from providing 10 year olds with what they love- music full of
> pointless swearing.
>

EARTH CALLING NAZI!

1 Nu Metal is a lazy journalistic term used to emcompass a wide range of music, some of which you no doubt like.

2 How much pointless swearing do Lost Prophets do exactly? Lumping them in with Limp Bizkit is an absolute joke!
Sun 20/06/04 at 15:49
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Anyway, on the emo thing... I think it's just lazy jounralists lumping everything together in a category called 'emo'... I mean, emo is supposedly 'emotional' music... but if you're listening to music with no emotion in it, then it can't be very good music I wouldn't have thought... so meh.
Sun 20/06/04 at 15:44
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Hells yes. Thirce playing main stage, Green Day should be great... The Offspring also, haven't heard their new album, but as long as they play some old classics I'll be happy.

Also some other great bands playing (Flogging Molly, Sick of it All, The International Noise Conspiracy, Mclusky...)

Can't say I'm vastly impressed with the concrete jungle... seemed much better last year. But hey, so long as the booze flows freely ;-)
Sun 20/06/04 at 15:39
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
No idea, I've always thought of them as emo

That the problem with emo though, it coves a massive range of music. Saying you like emo is like saying you like music. It's way too vague.

Going to reading this year sibs? (I think I remember you said you went last year?)
Sun 20/06/04 at 15:35
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Starlight wrote:
> Although Coheed and Cambria and Avenged Sevenfold rule.

eh? How are Avenged Sevenfold relevant to emo...? They are much more akin to old school metal with some gothic elements... I find it quite wierd that they are being so readily embraced by the punk 'scene' when they are blatantly a metal band... :S
Sun 20/06/04 at 15:32
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Cyclone wrote:
> Bah, and all that scr-emo, like FFAF and Thrice (Thrice being the only
> decent band in that genre) are crap. Crap crap crap.

Thrice are class. Before they released their last album, most people just described them as metallic hardcore... tis only since the latest album that people started lumping them in with Thursday and the whole emo/screamo thing... Which I don't think is doing them any favours.
Sun 20/06/04 at 15:31
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Cyclone wrote:
> Emo is not Box Car Racer.
>
> Grrrr.

Yes it is. But Box Car Rule and emo kids are way too into their harcore emo to like a side project of Blink 182.

Emo is the punk version of being a faggy goth kid who talks about pain and depression all the time like they have it sooo bad anyway.

Although Coheed and Cambria and Avenged Sevenfold rule.

My guesses though is that DEATH METAL IS NEXT!!!

Come on kids, break out those hoodies and mosh!
Sun 20/06/04 at 15:29
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Sex Pistols and The Clash are other notable punk bands.

But c'mon, if you haven't heard of them, there's not much hope is there...?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.