GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"World Cup predictions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/06/06 at 08:29
Regular
"KA-BLAMO"
Germany V Costa Rica

Poland V Ecuador

Whats going to be the scores?
Mon 10/07/06 at 11:26
Regular
I don't know what Zidane was thinking when he decided to do that, what a way to end his career in professional football.
Mon 10/07/06 at 03:24
Regular
Highly enjoyable final. Shame about Zidane, though.
Sun 09/07/06 at 22:17
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Well, well, well. The final.

France win a penalty early on, although I think it was pretty harsh to give it. Zidane takes the penalty, hits the bar and bounces over the line to give France a lead after just 6 minutes.

The early goal is really needed in most finals and it helped the game as Italy had to play more attacking football. It didn't take long as Materazzi got his head onto a corner and it was powered past Barthez to level the scores.

It could have got better for Italy as Materazzi got another header but that didn't find a way in. Toni then got a header as France had trouble defending the high balls. That shot hit the bar.

The first half was over and it was very evenly matched. It needed goals and it got goals.

France start the 2nd half brightly and for most of the 2nd half, France were the better side. Italy had to do some last gasp defending at times but they looked pretty secure. Henry tried a few runs at the defence and a ball was struck across the box but France attacked that poorly.

The game fizzled out as Italy managed to hold on for extra time. Extra time, France continued to put the pressure on and Ribery found his way into the box, but the shot went agonisingly wide. Zidane then orchestrated a move but his header was saved by Buffon.

The Italians looked settled for penalties but the game changed when Zidane and Materazzi had a few words, everything seemed okay and then something was said and Zidane headbutted Materazzi viciously in the chest. There was some delay but Zidane was eventually sent off.

It was ridiculous of Zidane and in his last ever game of professional football, Zidane trudged down the tunnel. It left Italy a chance to attack but they were never particularly dangerous in what was left.

So, it went to penalties. No one missed as Italy took the lead 2-1. Trezeguet stepped up. He hits the bar and it bounces the wrong side of the line. Italy had the advantage and they duly dispatched their remaining 3 penalties to win 5-3 and Italy wins the World Cup.

The group stage was very good, the knockout stage not so good. The final was gripping for the most part but I think this World Cup will be remembered for Zidane's moment of madness.
Sun 09/07/06 at 00:33
Regular
"Mooching around"
I would pray for 3-3 going down to penalties.
Sat 08/07/06 at 23:21
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
3rd place playoff: Germany V Portugal

This match is usually a non-event but you always hope that the game will see some decent football. The first half, Portugal made some decent passes without ever really threatening and the first half just drifted by.

Things really picked up in the 2nd half as Germany took the lead when Schweinsteiger fired the ball towards goal and Ricardo should have done better as the ball sailed between his hands.

Germany kept attacking and got a freekick on the left. Schweinsteiger fired the ball from the freekick low into the box and Petit deflected the ball past Ricardo for 2-0. It will go down as an own goal.

Schweinsteiger was not to be denied a 2nd goal as he cut inside from the left and fired a curling ball past a diving Ricardo for 3-0.

Portugal brought on Figo, who is retiring from international football after this game, and he curled an exquisite pass right on the head of Nuno Gomes to make it 3-1.

Germany really wanted 3rd place and they got it. They've played really well since the dodgy defence of game 1 and on a different day, they may have gone on to win the whole thing.

Tomorrow, it's the final. I hope we get a good one.
Wed 05/07/06 at 23:11
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I've always been more interested in the group games then the knockout rounds, probably because the knockout rounds have days without games and it seems to take me out of the tournament a bit.
Wed 05/07/06 at 23:07
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Just depends who is the best on the day (or in this tournie's case whoever gets screwed over less by the refs) thus showing why a one game format is completely flawed
Wed 05/07/06 at 22:57
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
France in the final is a big surprise. They were distinctly average in their group and were on the verge of going out. They sneak through their group and manage to beat Spain (I still don't know how they did it), they squeak past Brazil and now they've squeaked past Portugal.

In theory, Italy should win as they have improved since the group phase, but it never usually works that way.
Wed 05/07/06 at 22:52
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Boooooooooo France
Wed 05/07/06 at 22:47
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
OKay, I've seen both semi finals. Here are some brief thoughts on them.

Italy V Germany was an energetic affair in the first half as both teams went out there with the intention of scoring a goal. Italy should have had the lead early on when Perrotta was played through for a one on one with the keeper but his touch was poor.

Italy probably had the better of the first half but Germany went close when Schneider was played in but his shot just went over the bar. The first half ended 0-0 but it was entertaining.

The 2nd half was a bit slower but both teams still wanted to score. Italy just started to get pegged back but neither team could find the breakthrough in normal time. Extra time followed and as the time ebbed away, Italy looked like they wanted to avoid penalties. Apparently, Italy's record in penalties is not good. It's something like Italy has only won 1 shootout and Germany has only lost 1.

Anyway, Grosso found some space in the box and he curled the ball past Lehmann, who had looked good all game, and Italy had the lead with 119 minutes on the clock. Germany really had to attack with little time left. Unfortunately for them, it left gaps at the back and Del Piero snuck in and finished the game off.

France V Portugal

France started the better and Malouda had a good chance after less than a minute. France looked much more adventurous with the ball and Henry received the ball just inside the area. He turned nicely and got a kick in the leg. The referee gave the penalty and Zidane placed the penalty perfectly past Ricardo for the lead after 33 minutes.

Scolari was furious and he was still ranting after the half time interval. France were happy to soak up pressure and Portugal had some good chances that they might have taken if the defence wasn't so solid. Some of the chances may not have come about if Barthez had safer hands but that's neither here nor there.

Portugal had most of the possession and they decided to playing the diving game which the referee didn't buy into. France held on and they go on to play Italy in the final, while Germany play Portugal in the 3rd place match. Scolari was still ranting after the full time whistle had gone.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.