GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"World Cup predictions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/06/06 at 08:29
Regular
"KA-BLAMO"
Germany V Costa Rica

Poland V Ecuador

Whats going to be the scores?
Fri 30/06/06 at 21:52
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
The tournament is far better off with Ukraine out of it.
Fri 30/06/06 at 21:50
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Italy V Ukraine

It was a game that you'd expect Italy to walk given Ukraine's patchy run so far, although Italy haven't played well.

Italy started well and when Zambrotta drove in, shot and the ball squirmed past the keeper that should have done better, Italy had the perfect start. They started controlling the game with solid defensive work and attacking with slick passing and pace, which put Ukraine in disarray.

Only 1 goal in the first half and Ukraine started the second half better. They forced a save out of Buffon, where he hit his head on the post, got Buffon to save again, the ball hit back in for a defender to clear off the line and they hit the bar.

Italy held on and got back to causing Ukraine more trouble defensively. A cross came in and Toni drifted into the middle for a free header to give Italy a 2-0 lead. Italy went 3-0 when Zambrotta fought his way into the box and slid in Toni for an easy tap in.

Italy, after the 3rd goal, were just going through the motions. Ukraine had a free kick well saved but that Italy wre safe as they meet Germany in the semi finals.

According to my records, not counting the own goals, Zambrotta is the 100th different player to score at the World Cup this year.
Fri 30/06/06 at 20:04
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Bierhoff fears Heinze :-D
Fri 30/06/06 at 19:01
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Right, Germany V Argentina.

It was a tight first half. Hardly any shots were made and the keepers not troubled at all. Ballack had a header which was missed but that was about the extent of the first half action. It was evenly balanced with Argentina having more possession.

The second half didn't have a chance to settle into the first half rut, as a corner was whipped in and Ayala powered the header past Lehmann. If he hadn't scored, it was probably a penalty because he got clattered.

The Germans, for the first time behind, now had to fashion an equalizer and Argentina just helped them out a bit by throwing on defensive minded substitutes and were not helping the game with a bit of timewasting. The Germans got the goal they were looking for when the ball was crossed in, flick header into the path of Klose, who put the ball in the net with his header.

With all the subs made, it was looking very much like a draw and after 90 minutes, it was. Extra time was very cagey and it seemed that penalties would be needed. Ballack was a major concern for Germany as he was really struggling.

No goals in extra time so penalties were needed. Both scored their first penalties and Ballack, with injury, scored his too. Ayala hit a poor penalty which Lehmann easily stopped. Germany scored again for 3-1 and Argentina made it 3-2. Germany made it 4-2 and Cambiasso stepped up. His penalty was saved and Germany are through to the semi finals.

There was a bit of a fight and the pulling apart of people after the shoot out.
Wed 28/06/06 at 15:37
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Henry has come out and said that he is not a cheat...

Anyway, some brief thoughts on the two 2nd round games I missed.

Ukraine V Switzerland was the perfect cure for insomnia. Neither team wanted the easy option of winning the game in 90 minutes as they didn't really make any effort to score. Extra time was much the same.

Penalties were needed to decide it. Shevchenko hit a poor penalty which was saved. Switzerland did exactly the same penalty as Shevchenko. Then Ukraine scored with a cheeky chip penalty down the middle. Barnetta hit the bar with his. Rebrov scores comfortably for 2-0. Cabanas has his penalty saved, it wasn't good. Gusev scored his penalty and Ukraine win 3-0 on penalties.

Switzerland go out without conceding a goal and Ukraine go through.

Italy were playing Australia and Italy had some good chances in the first half to take the lead but they couldn't find a way to break the deadlock.

The second half saw Materazzi sent off and Italy decided to soak up pressure and hit Australia on the counter attack. Italy looked composed and comfortable in defence as extra time loomed on the horizon.

Grosso made a run into the box in the 93rd minute, Neill tried a tackle and missed and Grosso just sort of fell over him and looked for the penalty. He won it, which was really harsh, and Totti stepped up and knocked Australia out of the World Cup.

There have been a lot of hard luck stories in this World Cup I think.
Wed 28/06/06 at 13:58
Regular
"..."
Grandprix wrote:
> Urgh, my pick, Spain, got knocked out.

I had Spain in the sweepstake at work. :-|. You can always rely on Spain to flatter to deceive.
Wed 28/06/06 at 13:33
Regular
It was such a shame to see that from Henry. When you start to respect a player for his interity it's such a shame when they let you down.

Then again, I thought Robben was a pretty 'honest' player, so it turns out I don't know what I'm talking about.
Wed 28/06/06 at 01:01
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Urgh, my pick, Spain, got knocked out.

They were pretty evenly matched for about 20 minutes with neither team really creating much but there was some nice passing, Spain maintaining possession better.

France made a slight chance when the ball was fired across the box and both Ribery and Vieira missed it. Spain then won a penalty when Thuram put studs down the back of Pablo's leg. Villa stepped up and scored.

France then made the most of Henry being offside as it distracted Spain and Ribery beat the offside trap, rounded the keeper and levelled the score. A tightly contested first half.

The 2nd half started just as tight with Spain again slightly better at keeping hold of the ball. France won a freekick although Henry clearly simulated a hit in the face and it wasn't a freekick. The resulting free kick eventually fell to Vieira who headed it in, deflecting off Ramos.

Spain, aggrieved to be behind, needed to chase the game but France killed the game off on the break when Zidane was set free, he created some space and wrong footed the keeper to end Spain's involvement in the World Cup.

I suppose it's payback time for Brazil now after the 1998 World Cup final.
Tue 27/06/06 at 20:11
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I wasn't very well yesterday so I missed the majority of yesterdays games. I've got them taped though so I'll watch them at some point before the Quarter finals.

Brazil V Ghana.

Brazil are playing very strange in this World Cup and yet they are getting the job done. They didn't play particularly well today, but won 3-0.

Ghana got caught out for playing a high defensive line and Ronaldo broke free, rounded the keeper and scored. He's now scored the most goals of any player in World Cup finals.

Ghana took the game to Brazil and if it wasn't for poor shooting, they could have been more of a threat. All the shots seemed to be aimed straight at Dida.

A Brazil break led to their 2nd goal. Adriano looked just offside when the ball was played across the box but the goal stood. The lead at half time really flattered Brazil but they were really deadly with their chances while Ghana missed some good ones.

2nd half and it was more of the same. Brazil defended slightly better in the 2nd half than the 1st but Ghana just couldn't score. It was made worse when Ze Roberto was slipped in and he knocked the bouncing ball past the keeper and that left an easy tap in. 3-0 in a game where Brazil didn't play well and could have had 3 more goals.

Just imagine what they'd be like if they were firing on all cylinders...
Mon 26/06/06 at 22:07
Regular
"Colourless"
I'll start doing summaries of the games as well.

Switzerland v Ukraine
Boring.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.