GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bonafide musical geniuses"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/06/04 at 12:34
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Post your top genuine (i.e. no Blazin' Squad, Nickelback, Fred Durst or Atomic Kitten) musical geniuses. Mine, you ask? Sure:

Frank Sinatra:
Not the most powerful of singers, but it didn't matter what he sang it sounded damn good. Oozed cool.

Kurt Cobain:
Master of the pop-punk, quiet-loud, 3-chord melody. Blew his talented brains out, but rumour was that he wanted to do more 'poppy' numbers without the 'punk', so maybe it was for the best.

Stevie Wonder:
This fella *is* music. Give him the crappy Casio Bossa Nova you got for Christmas 1988, and he'll give you a hit in return. Just when you think his songs are about to get all wussy, they change into hardcore funk and hook you further. Blind too, which is even more amazing.

Freddie Mercury:
How such a small man could have had such a powerful voice is beyond me - a true talent, and one of my favourite all time singers.

Mozart:
Whether you realise it or not, you know a Mozart tune. Pretty damn enjoyable stuff, even if it is stuffy old classical music. Check out the film "Amadeus" - it's a hoot, and you get to hear loads of his music.
Tue 01/06/04 at 15:55
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I was gonna say Michael Jackson, but to look at him now, you wouldn't really call him a genius, would you? Most of his early stuff (ie. the good stuff) was produced by Quincy Jones, he's probably the genius behind him.

There's loads of people that I would call geniuseses but doubt everyone else would agree, for example, everything DJ Shadow touches turns to gold and there's never been a Supergrass song I haven't loved.

Maybe a better question - what makes a musical genius? It can't just be popularity, otherwise dolts like Puff Daddy and Robbie Williams would be mentioned in the same breath. Everlasting talent? Haven't heard a decent Prince song in ten years (except for BatDance). You wouldn't call Noel Gallagher a genius but there's no doubt he changed the face of British music forever.
Tue 01/06/04 at 16:00
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> heard a decent Prince song in ten years (except for BatDance).

You've clearly not been listening, how can you neglect any song off the Gold Experience? Particularly "I Hate U". Batdance was 15 years ago.
Tue 01/06/04 at 16:05
Regular
"£77k - muahahahah"
Slash = genius.
Tue 01/06/04 at 16:07
Regular
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Maybe a better question - what makes a musical genius?

I'd like to answer that if I may, monsieur snuggly. A musical genius, as with any genius, is someone who has the ability to perform a difficult task incredibly well, with minimum effort, where others would require much more time and work to complete it.

In the case of musical genius, I find it is the ability to be dynamic - to constantly and seamlessly change your style to accomodate both the style at the time, and your own personal goals and preference.

that's why losers like Britney Spears, who only have one style that they can do well, will die out in no time. People quickly grow bored of music that sounds the same, record after record, and as the bint has no real talent, she is unable to adapt to new styles.

You mention Michael Jackson, well he is a genius yes. Sure he's a freak, but most geniuses are 'eccentric'. they say true genius contains a small measure of insanity. Just look at the arty types like Jacko, Bjork, Prince, Tori Amos etc - they're not exactly right in the head, or so it would seem. Beethoven was also said to be a bit of a loon, and side-stepping into the art world, van gogh was a few cans short of a six pack.

so in conclusion, if you're a genius, chances are you're a bit mental, but being a bit mental doesn't make you a genius.

:D
Tue 01/06/04 at 17:46
"Darth Vader 3442321"
The Bivan Brothers.
Tue 01/06/04 at 17:58
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
The sagacious one wrote:
> The Bivan Brothers.

Excellent, I remember those bearded freaks!
Tue 01/06/04 at 18:00
Regular
no, you're thinking of ZZ top
Tue 01/06/04 at 18:26
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Maybe a better question - what makes a musical genius?

Someone with a natural talent, the sort of person you feel was born to make music.
Tue 01/06/04 at 20:12
Regular
"You've upset me"
Lennon/McCartney
Jonny Greenwood
Ryan Adams
David Immerglück
Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Lynyard Skynyard's guitarist (don't know his name)

And some others I've forgotten...
Tue 01/06/04 at 21:22
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Billy Corgan

*runs*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.