GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bonafide musical geniuses"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/06/04 at 12:34
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Post your top genuine (i.e. no Blazin' Squad, Nickelback, Fred Durst or Atomic Kitten) musical geniuses. Mine, you ask? Sure:

Frank Sinatra:
Not the most powerful of singers, but it didn't matter what he sang it sounded damn good. Oozed cool.

Kurt Cobain:
Master of the pop-punk, quiet-loud, 3-chord melody. Blew his talented brains out, but rumour was that he wanted to do more 'poppy' numbers without the 'punk', so maybe it was for the best.

Stevie Wonder:
This fella *is* music. Give him the crappy Casio Bossa Nova you got for Christmas 1988, and he'll give you a hit in return. Just when you think his songs are about to get all wussy, they change into hardcore funk and hook you further. Blind too, which is even more amazing.

Freddie Mercury:
How such a small man could have had such a powerful voice is beyond me - a true talent, and one of my favourite all time singers.

Mozart:
Whether you realise it or not, you know a Mozart tune. Pretty damn enjoyable stuff, even if it is stuffy old classical music. Check out the film "Amadeus" - it's a hoot, and you get to hear loads of his music.
Tue 01/06/04 at 14:49
"Darth Vader 3442321"
monkey_man wrote:
> The sagacious one wrote:
> Leonard Cohen.
>
> Spock?

No, the most respected lyricist (by other musicians like U2, the Pixies and so on) there is. He is also quite illogical captain.

They won't play his songs in hospitals because they are "too depressing".
Tue 01/06/04 at 14:50
Regular
"The Red Shift"
monkey_man wrote:
> Leonard Cohen.
>
> Spock?

Nimoy is that Leonard.
Tue 01/06/04 at 14:51
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Clazon wrote:
> monkey_man wrote:
> Leonard Cohen.
>
> Spock?
>
> Nimoy is that Leonard.

Know he who is I did really. Joke funny ha ha ha.
Tue 01/06/04 at 14:54
Regular
Michael Jackson
Tue 01/06/04 at 14:58
Regular
"The Red Shift"
monkey_man wrote:
> Clazon wrote:
> monkey_man wrote:
> Leonard Cohen.
>
> Spock?
>
> Nimoy is that Leonard.
>
> Know he who is I did really. Joke funny ha ha ha.

KO ahhh. am slow i.

*stops talking like idiot*
Tue 01/06/04 at 15:11
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
More for the list who haven't yet been mentioned. Basically, some of my favourite guitarists. :)

Tony Iommi
Jimmy Page
Eddie van Halen
Richie Blackmore
Kirk Hammet

Honorary mention: Brian Tatler, Glenn Tipton.
Tue 01/06/04 at 15:13
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Stevie Wonder
Probably the most musically talented person on the planet, No only a awesome voice but an ability to seemingly play any instrument he wants to plus his writing just makes him untouchable.

Bob Dylan
It takes someone special to do what he did, he turned up with a completely different way of doing things, and to go to a folk show and use an electric guitar, well it nearly backfired on him but he's been proved right all along, A great social commentator.

Beethoven
I admit that i dont listen to classical music very much but i've loved everything i've heard from him.

As for other people who have been mentioned on here, michael jackson would be nowhere without quincy jones.
Leonard cohen i've heard a lot about, all good, supposedly a real romantic lyricyst with a bite.
John lennon i love but no, i admire what he did, and it's so sad that he was killed when he was finally happy, just listen to early recordings he's always got a point, it was nice to see the bitter lennon dissappear on Double Fantasy, he had finally sorted out his priorities.
Tue 01/06/04 at 15:20
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Prince (for all the same reasons as Stevie Wonder with the added bonus of he hasn't lost it)
Tue 01/06/04 at 15:47
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I certainly shouldnt have forgotten about Bob Marley or James Brown.

Bob Marley
I think some of what he writes is lost on those of us who arent rastafarian or jamaican, there is a lot of history in what he sings and it takes a great communicator to get his point across, he had a great way with words, and there still isnt anyone creating reggae as good 20 years after he died.

James Brown
A great producer, he has ideas and you get the feeling you are listening to exactly what he wanted.
A very powerful voice and some seriously funky tunes.

Phil spector
I hate him, he is a pr*ck, but he has written and produced some of the greatest songs ever made despite being a lunatic, he wrote Be My Baby, he was always going to be included in my list.

Carole King
I dont like her voice, but as a writer she is almost untouchable, deservedly regarded as the greatest female song writer ever by just about evert music magazine, it will be easier for me to just show you what she has wrote.

One fine day
Will you love me tommorow
I feel the earth move
You make me feel like a natural woman
Youve got a friend
It's too late
Home again
Up on the roof
Tue 01/06/04 at 15:55
Regular
Okey Doke :

The Beatles - Enough said

Oasis - My favourite Indie band, perhaps my favourite band full stop.

Alan Silvestri (Film Composer) - responsible for some of the most emotive and memorable film scores, such as Cast Away, Forrest Gump, The Abyss, Predator 1 + 2, Contact, Back to the Future trilogy etc.

Massive Attack - oh yes, not heard a bad track from them. their ability to jump between musical genres and styles seamlessly is admirable.

Philip Glass (Film Composer) - responsible for the stunning soundtracks from the sublime "Powaqqatsi", "Koyaanisqatsi" and "Naqoyqatsi" musical filmpieces, aswell as most of the soundtrack to the truman show.

Bob Marley - nothing better than a bit of bob.

the prodigy - what's this doing in here? sorry, too many good memories :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.