GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BEST GAMING ADVERT OF ALL TIME!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/04/01 at 00:45
Regular
We all play games, let's play together...

Anyone remember that? Well, whether or not Alexi Sayle actually did audition and get the Sega advertising voice part doesn't matter now! But, advertising and all forms of promotion in fact do make a huge difference to a product success, I mean who remembers any other Dreamcast adverts? Well I think I can name all of them, as there's only a few, but what is your favourite ever advertisment or advertising ploy?!

I want you to think (try - it may hurt to start), and post in here what form of promotion that is gaming related that has really made your jaw drop. Not many make me go 'wow' anymore - tis more of a case of 'wah?' as gaming adds these days just don't seem to make any sense - I mean that PS2 add with the duck? No way...

Anyway, I think the PlayStation advert on TV with all that lightning was pretty darn frightening - at the time, being a Sega Saturn owner and all... But that were a good add.

Sega can blame all of Dreamcast's failure on it's ridiculous advertising, with the only half decent bit of TV time being the MSR add for them, and even then they mucked it up with the 50hz version showing! The 'Dreamcast, Up to 6billion players' promotional stunt in the cinemas probably made people more unaware at the Dreamcast then anything - after all, that promise never happened until the misery that is Chu Chu Rocket! The stone throwing advert was again insane, and the barber advertising, although funny, really didn't help at all. You see the only people that stood a chance of 'getting it' were people who had researched the ads! Like me... Oh and the Euro 2000 ads, which Sega spent £5m on, were just pointless - promoting online gaming with only ChuChu Rocket out?!

Makes you wonder if there's a ban on actual in game footage advertising! 5 Seconds of Soul Calibur, Shenmue or even Sonic Adventure could have rescued the DC, but then the PS2 might not have got Crazy TAxi...

Anyway, Nintendo advertise Pokemon sometimes, but we're all aware of it so they don't really need to promote the things anymore, but they will.

So.....the best advertisement of all time, in my eyes has to be... I'm gonna go for the PS add with the lightning - it worked for them, and it's the only one I can think of that's any good. You know the one 'Do Not underestimate the power....'

Excellent

Cheers

Dan2K1

Fri 20/04/01 at 12:06
I was kind of thinking more along the lines of a non EA game, don't know why that could be!

It'd have to be the latest ISS, seeing as they're great, but if the game looks so realistic it wouldn't matter what it was - as long as people had heard of it, and would remember the name.
Fri 20/04/01 at 11:56
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
I love the advert idea Dan!

I think the scunthorpe player should push David off the chair and then take all of the applaus.

Then if its made by EA sports have a booming voice shouting "EA sports, it's in the game!". :-)
Fri 20/04/01 at 01:28
er-no wrote:
> Dan you have been reading Digi haven't you! this is the topic they
> had last week!

No actually I haven't! Just coincidence I guess.

Fri 20/04/01 at 01:27
Hmm, I reckon there should be a new advertisment - a 30second job, promoting a new Football game - doesn't matter which format. The advert could show a team like Scunthorpe United beating Manchester United - the audience would be enthralled, and then as the camera zooms out, accompanied by some really fast sounding music, and focuses out of the TV, onto two arm chairs - one with a Scunthorpe United player in, and one with someone famous for United - like David Beckham.

Each player would be holding their 'Xbox/GameCube/PS2' controller, with the deep voiced cinema man saying '>Insert football game title< - anything's possible'

The camera then zooms to the Games Console 'Exclusive to >Insert console name< - Out Friday'

Or something like this - you see they were playing the video game of a Scunthorpe v Man U game - Beckham was Scunthorpe, they won etc etc...

But you see - the graphics were so good that the audience believed it was real, see? That makes game sales. The audience then saw David Beckham and the Scunthorpe player - another game selling factor in the add: People know David Beckham, and we all like to hear about the lower clubs now and again.

The audience like power - and the classic 'cinema voice' would have to be used to reflect the game/games machine power. Makes for good sales etc etc...Don't let Beckham speak...

Finally, when the camera 'zooms' to the games machine the exclusiveness/exclusivity of the amazing wow factor game being on one console will persuade a LOT of people to go out and get that console - no matter the price (well, we don't want to be ripped off etc)...

All we need now is licencing deals, photo realistic graphics or FMVs could be used, and a game worthy of my advert!

That's how to advertise a gaming product.

Dan2K1
Fri 20/04/01 at 01:11
Regular
"everyone says it"
Dan you have been reading Digi haven't you! this is the topic they had last week!
Fri 20/04/01 at 01:06
Also that PlayStation add with that alien girl! Lol!!
Fri 20/04/01 at 01:01
Regular
i thoink its myall....no thats not it...
Fri 20/04/01 at 01:00
Regular
"everyone says it"
The Kirby advert with Rick Mail (if thats how you spell his surname) in it! That was brilliant, Kirby Gets angry and swallows him! HAHAHA
Fri 20/04/01 at 00:58
"Uzi Lover"
I have no idea.

The games dropped from around 40 pounds to 5 really quickly.

I remember the star game of the 32 having over 4 reduced stickers on in EB once, broke my young heart when I could of got a Playstation insead.
Fri 20/04/01 at 00:56
Regular
could someone tell me why da amiga cd32 didnt make it big time? i really liked that company

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.