GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BEST GAMING ADVERT OF ALL TIME!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/04/01 at 00:45
Regular
We all play games, let's play together...

Anyone remember that? Well, whether or not Alexi Sayle actually did audition and get the Sega advertising voice part doesn't matter now! But, advertising and all forms of promotion in fact do make a huge difference to a product success, I mean who remembers any other Dreamcast adverts? Well I think I can name all of them, as there's only a few, but what is your favourite ever advertisment or advertising ploy?!

I want you to think (try - it may hurt to start), and post in here what form of promotion that is gaming related that has really made your jaw drop. Not many make me go 'wow' anymore - tis more of a case of 'wah?' as gaming adds these days just don't seem to make any sense - I mean that PS2 add with the duck? No way...

Anyway, I think the PlayStation advert on TV with all that lightning was pretty darn frightening - at the time, being a Sega Saturn owner and all... But that were a good add.

Sega can blame all of Dreamcast's failure on it's ridiculous advertising, with the only half decent bit of TV time being the MSR add for them, and even then they mucked it up with the 50hz version showing! The 'Dreamcast, Up to 6billion players' promotional stunt in the cinemas probably made people more unaware at the Dreamcast then anything - after all, that promise never happened until the misery that is Chu Chu Rocket! The stone throwing advert was again insane, and the barber advertising, although funny, really didn't help at all. You see the only people that stood a chance of 'getting it' were people who had researched the ads! Like me... Oh and the Euro 2000 ads, which Sega spent £5m on, were just pointless - promoting online gaming with only ChuChu Rocket out?!

Makes you wonder if there's a ban on actual in game footage advertising! 5 Seconds of Soul Calibur, Shenmue or even Sonic Adventure could have rescued the DC, but then the PS2 might not have got Crazy TAxi...

Anyway, Nintendo advertise Pokemon sometimes, but we're all aware of it so they don't really need to promote the things anymore, but they will.

So.....the best advertisement of all time, in my eyes has to be... I'm gonna go for the PS add with the lightning - it worked for them, and it's the only one I can think of that's any good. You know the one 'Do Not underestimate the power....'

Excellent

Cheers

Dan2K1

Fri 20/04/01 at 00:45
We all play games, let's play together...

Anyone remember that? Well, whether or not Alexi Sayle actually did audition and get the Sega advertising voice part doesn't matter now! But, advertising and all forms of promotion in fact do make a huge difference to a product success, I mean who remembers any other Dreamcast adverts? Well I think I can name all of them, as there's only a few, but what is your favourite ever advertisment or advertising ploy?!

I want you to think (try - it may hurt to start), and post in here what form of promotion that is gaming related that has really made your jaw drop. Not many make me go 'wow' anymore - tis more of a case of 'wah?' as gaming adds these days just don't seem to make any sense - I mean that PS2 add with the duck? No way...

Anyway, I think the PlayStation advert on TV with all that lightning was pretty darn frightening - at the time, being a Sega Saturn owner and all... But that were a good add.

Sega can blame all of Dreamcast's failure on it's ridiculous advertising, with the only half decent bit of TV time being the MSR add for them, and even then they mucked it up with the 50hz version showing! The 'Dreamcast, Up to 6billion players' promotional stunt in the cinemas probably made people more unaware at the Dreamcast then anything - after all, that promise never happened until the misery that is Chu Chu Rocket! The stone throwing advert was again insane, and the barber advertising, although funny, really didn't help at all. You see the only people that stood a chance of 'getting it' were people who had researched the ads! Like me... Oh and the Euro 2000 ads, which Sega spent £5m on, were just pointless - promoting online gaming with only ChuChu Rocket out?!

Makes you wonder if there's a ban on actual in game footage advertising! 5 Seconds of Soul Calibur, Shenmue or even Sonic Adventure could have rescued the DC, but then the PS2 might not have got Crazy TAxi...

Anyway, Nintendo advertise Pokemon sometimes, but we're all aware of it so they don't really need to promote the things anymore, but they will.

So.....the best advertisement of all time, in my eyes has to be... I'm gonna go for the PS add with the lightning - it worked for them, and it's the only one I can think of that's any good. You know the one 'Do Not underestimate the power....'

Excellent

Cheers

Dan2K1

Fri 20/04/01 at 00:48
Regular
i thought the Zelda: OOT advert had a strong impact. The gam was sold out everywhere in its first month.
Fri 20/04/01 at 00:50
Regular
The 60 billion thing was stupid.....i lol.
Fri 20/04/01 at 00:51
That'd be because it was so incredible. Or stock shortages.
Fri 20/04/01 at 00:52
Sniper wrote:
> The 60 billion thing was stupid.....i lol.

6Billion mate. If it were 60billion then I wouldn't be able to type to you now as loads of people would be in my room.
Fri 20/04/01 at 00:52
Regular
advert played a big part though.
Fri 20/04/01 at 00:54
Yep I imagine it did.
Fri 20/04/01 at 00:54
"Uzi Lover"
I look look forward to gaming adverts in hope to see some of the in game footage, as most games I do not see footage for, or use to.

The thing is they always got put out on release of the game and that was ussaly a Friday. I remember when i was younger and I use to wait for a gaming advert to come on, I loved them.

I don't know why I did, maybe I just wanted to show what a cool game the game was to my Sister sitting beside me. But mostly the 30 seconds it would be on, my eyes would be peeled to the screen gazing at what delights it would bring.

I can't remeber any gaming adverts except for the one that sticks in my head which came packaged with my Amiga CD 32 (Don't laugh I was young)

It showed the Amiga CD 32 being used as an expriement to a vistor of a scientist's lab. The console was the first 32bit console and was made to look so powerful that the vistor was amazed and the console itself was even to much for the robot which play tested it.

The ending was the whole lab blowing up and being deverstated, and the final phrase saying:

"The Worlds First 32bit console, The World Will Never Be The Same Again"

Fortunatly, it was :-D
Fri 20/04/01 at 00:55
"Uzi Lover"
There is a Nintendo advert where a girl is on a bed and the camara is getting quite close.

It has nothing to do with gaming at all, but the girls do attract you!
Fri 20/04/01 at 00:56
Regular
could someone tell me why da amiga cd32 didnt make it big time? i really liked that company

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.