GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THE ultimate PC"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/05/04 at 20:54
Regular
"Arf. Arf. Arf. Arf."
well, not the ULTIMATE PC, but I would like to know everything I would need to build one of the best PC's going, the CPU, Graphics Card, RAM, everything, so.... what would I need.

P.S. money is not a problem.
Fri 28/05/04 at 13:33
Regular
"NULL"
I know I wouldn't get £200 for it since it doesn't come with monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers and the base unit itself only cost £220 brand new 16 months ago.

And I don't really need a spare PC, cos there are 2 others in the house I can use if I need to - both are higher spec than my old PC.

If I kept it for anything, it would be to use as a test system - e.g. stick FreeBSD/Unix on there. I've tried FreeBSD before, but never been overly successful with dual-booting. A dedicated PC might work. Also, I've got a wireless network adapter lying around - that means in theory I can put it in another room out of the way and use VNC to connect to it.
Fri 28/05/04 at 13:19
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Nimco you dont need to run it all the time. As a couple of us have said your only likely going to be able get £200 for it if the machine is in decent condition and you include a decent monitor. If the PC is noisy then you may not be able to sell it as people who would be interested may be put off by the sound.

It may be better to hold on to it as a spare machine incase your new one gives you trouble and you need a PC to use.
Fri 28/05/04 at 13:13
Regular
"NULL"
I don't see the point of running my old PC as a server. I run this PC as a server anyway. My old PC would have to be in my room (since that's the only place we can conveniently put it) and its noisey (one reason I spent a bit more on my new PC to get quiet components). If I want to run KaZaA or something similar, I can just leave mine going - it's not going to affect the performance of this machine at all... If nothing else, running the old one is just more electricity!
Fri 28/05/04 at 11:47
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Manic Moaner wrote:
> adrian wrote:
>
> the laptop is very low spec as its a 200Mhz Pentium MMX with 32MB
> RAM.
> ...
> The installer included JVM incase the user didnt have it,
>
> Java + 32MB RAM is never going to be a happy experience.
>
> I can compile stuff fine on a 400Mhz machine with 256MB of RAM.
>
> adrian wrote:
> 32MB RAM ... JVM
>
> ** shakes head **

I wasnt compiling any Java at all. You dont seem to understand I was making an Installer, as in a program to install a game on to a computer.

Anyway Java runs on 200MHz and 32MB RAM, Sun recommend a 166MHz or higher with 32MB RAM. And the game that we made installed and worked on the 200MHz laptop.
Fri 28/05/04 at 11:05
Regular
adrian wrote:

> the laptop is very low spec as its a 200Mhz Pentium MMX with 32MB RAM.
> The installer included JVM incase the user didnt have it,

Java + 32MB RAM is never going to be a happy experience.

I can compile stuff fine on a 400Mhz machine with 256MB of RAM.

adrian wrote:
> 32MB RAM ... JVM

** shakes head **
Fri 28/05/04 at 10:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Chad Niga wrote:
> Will people ever learn?
>
> You dont have to have the top spec computer just for the sake of it.

Well if you want a decent gaming machine then you need to have pretty much top spec everything to be safe in the knowledge that this years games will play well.

Even if you dont play games having a top spec CPU, RAM etc and having a medium spec graphics card is still worth while. Everything is faster if you have a decent PC, people might say there 800MHz is fast enough but once you try a top spec AMD or P4 system you will realise that your PC is pretty slow.

Now I dont care if anyone has a 200MHz PC or top spec AMD or P4 system as if they are happy with their machine then its all that matters. I would say that people who are comparing low spec machines with high spec ones saying "there just as fast" e.tc. are pretty much living in a dream world as the difference is staggering at times.

For our group project at Uni I have been borrowing a mates laptop so I can do work in Uni, the laptop is very low spec as its a 200Mhz Pentium MMX with 32MB RAM. Compared to my XP2800 with 1GB RAM it was a snail against a Forumla 1 car. Now I wanted to try out building an installer for our game we had programmed, so I did it on the laptop. The installer included JVM incase the user didnt have it, after 10 minutes of compiling on the laptop it was still stuck at 25% try to do the JVM installer. I had to end the program as it was just going no where. I then did it on my XP2800 and the whole compile was done in under 30 seconds, might have been under 20 seconds.
Fri 28/05/04 at 09:44
Regular
Yeh Nimco i think £200 would be expensive for just the system unit, It would not be worth selling really as it is low spec and the componants are not very good makes, What you can do though is set it up as a sort of server, You can have your broadband attached to it (if you have one) and ake it into a sort of softwall, also run things like kazaa and things from it.

Colin
Fri 28/05/04 at 01:06
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Chad Niga wrote:
> Will people ever learn?
>
> You dont have to have the top spec computer just for the sake of it.

Forum bragging rights :-)
Fri 28/05/04 at 00:23
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Will people ever learn?

You dont have to have the top spec computer just for the sake of it.
Thu 27/05/04 at 23:25
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Doubt you would get much for it Nimco as its pretty low spec, maybe £200 or so but that would probably be with a monitor if you have got a new one with your new machine.

To be honest why dont you keep your Duron as a 2nd machine? If any of your family occasionally use a PC then let them have the Duron.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.