GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gears of War"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gears of War'.
Sun 12/11/06 at 14:17
Regular
Is it good? I don't own a 360.
Sat 18/11/06 at 14:44
Regular
"8==="
The multiplayer is amazingly good! Medium-sized arenas that are expanded by the numerous cover options and tactical plays.

Only problem is the ranked setup is currently pretty FUBAR, last night I was getting dropped and failing to connect a lot. I completed two matches and the leaderboards have me down as winning both with 0 kills and 0 death despite the fact that lost one and got a total of about 20 kills between the two.

Needs fixing - player matches work properly though.

Edit: comparisins with the effect that RS3 had on the original Xbox are definitely true, this really feels like the game to do for the 360 what RS3 did for Xbox's community - and it too is buggy to start with. :D
Fri 17/11/06 at 23:31
Regular
"8==="
It's like most MS games - it's a template (Just like PGR and Halo) and it only gets truly great when you personalise it and take it online and play it with other people.

That said I've noticed you can play as other players so that may add more to the game a second time around.

I've seen the AI do some damn cool things and they're smart in keeping the pressure up and making use of every inch of cover.

All the small extras add up to a good game, still only on act 1 so it may become great and I've yet to play it online where the real team dynamic should takeoff properly.
Fri 17/11/06 at 16:55
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Got it. Got half way through Act 1 on hardcore.

Not impressed. Honest. It's a plays like a bog standard 3rd/1st person shooter. With very nice graphics. But I have to be honest and say I prefer Rainbow 6's gameplay/cover system.

Unless it picks up after Act 1 I'll just think of it has another Killzone, but to be blunt I've played so many shooters in my day that I can guess the ending already and despite all the shiny stuff I don't want to have to play through another shooter just for the storyline.

It was the same with Halo 2, the same with Half-Life 2, I just couldn't be bothered to finish them because to me a shooter is a shooter.

Mostly I'm miffed that despite receiving as much hype as Killzone, Gears of War has exactly the same 'meh' feeling about it now as Killzone did when it came out.

Anyhooooooo, that's just first impressions, if I can be bothered to put it in the 360 again I might change my mind and maybe even come to like it a little.
Fri 17/11/06 at 13:52
"possibly impossible"
I'll get it after I've sorted out all the Wii games I want!
Fri 17/11/06 at 13:23
Regular
I still haven't picked it up yet, but just to torture myself I've been reading what some clan mates have said about it (they got it yesterday).

Basically they say it's worth the hype. IGN gave it 9.3
Soon as I can tear myself away from pretending to look busy I'm out of here.
Fri 17/11/06 at 12:55
Regular
"8==="
It has online co-op so I'm sold.

Ch-ching!
Fri 17/11/06 at 12:27
Regular
I wasn't hyped about this game, infact I was expecting it to be pretty dull and repetetive in all honesty. But after my days play yesterday I can confirm that it really deserves all the praise it's getting, the action is intense and fun and the graphics are quite simply amazing.

Oh and chainsawing dudes in half has gotta be one of the most satisfying game moments evah!
Fri 17/11/06 at 07:33
Regular
It's out today so I'm going to see if I can pick up a copy later on. All the hype about GoW has put me off over the last year, but if it can get ranked #1 360 game of all time (beating Oblivion into 2nd place) then it's got to be worth a look.

I'll post some first impressions later if I get my mitts on it before the weekend.
Mon 13/11/06 at 17:44
Regular
I think that qualifies as spam. Someone ban this fool. :)
Mon 13/11/06 at 11:05
Regular
"8==="

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.