GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My computer is built!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/04/04 at 10:21
Regular
"\\"
Huzzah, i've built my computer and turning on the power, everything seems to be running ok... now what the feck do i do? The guide i've been using doesn't seem to help me at the moment, i've got to get into the BIOS screen, and apparantly i just use the key things it displays at the bottom of the screen... Except there is no key things at the bottom of the screen. All i get is the intel startup type thing then

"Starting...

Microsoft(R) Windows Millenium
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

A:\>"

Now what does one do?
Tue 13/04/04 at 21:21
Regular
Good evening gents!
Just a few questions im sure you will all be gracious enough to answer,
I am considering building a pc for the first time!
Can anyone name or provide me with an extensive, fairly straight forward guide?
Also how much would you estimate it costing to build a fairly high spec machine, im not talking 'Weird Science' powerful just a one that is fairly tooled up?
That is all!!
Many thanks.
Thu 08/04/04 at 22:26
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Aoe wrote:
> Yes, i have a 350 watt one.

Is it a cheap generic one? What hardware are you running? If its a low spec machine with a low spec graphics card then you might be ok for 350w.

When my last PC kept freezing it was often when I was just doing something, like closing a internet window or document or something. It never really froze when it was idle.
Thu 08/04/04 at 18:52
Regular
"Digging!"
Aoe wrote:
> Yes, i have a 350 watt one.
>
> I checked my temperates and i got 30 for system and 41 for processor.

Shoud be fine then... Erm, I would blame ME if it wasn't for the lack of blue screens.

Try stoping any programs from running at startup and see if that solves it, and then you can root out the faluty program by the process of elimination (to do this click start, run, type "msconfig" in the dialogue box, click on the startup tag, and uncheck all the entries, or on the general tab click the selective startup radio button, and uncheck the Local startup group items).

If that isnt it I don't know what to suggest.
Thu 08/04/04 at 17:18
Regular
"\\"
Yes, i have a 350 watt one.

I checked my temperates and i got 30 for system and 41 for processor.
Thu 08/04/04 at 11:53
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Aoe wrote:
> I filled up all but one of my fan slots... maybe i should speed one of
> them up? That is if heating is the problem.

Maybe but what PSU do you have? If you upgraded and still use a old PSU then this will have an effect. For most machines now 350w is minimum, and with multiple hard drives, cd drives, fans etc then 350w still may be too little. Some new graphics cards need a minimum of 350w now to work properly.
Thu 08/04/04 at 11:08
Regular
"\\"
I filled up all but one of my fan slots... maybe i should speed one of them up? That is if heating is the problem.
Thu 08/04/04 at 09:34
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Aoe wrote:
> How do i check my temperatures without going into the BIOS?
>
> And no blue screens, it either just hangs and i can't move the mouse
> at all, or it just resets.

When you mean hangs, it just freezes and stays like that with out resetting?

I had that on my last machine and I found that putting a house fan on the side of the case stopped it. It would seem a heat problem but when it was happening to me the temperatures werent what you call high, maybe 40c for CPU and 30c for system. I found it happening more and more when I got broadband as I used a USB modem. Also I could do very CPU intensive things like encoding video for 60 mins and the CPU temp could go to 52c and it wouldnt hang.

What PSU do you have? If its an old 300w or something like that get it replaced. My friends PC kept restarting and he though it was a graphics problem, changed the card and it seemed ok. Then he had to change the card again from a 9600 Pro to a 5900 and he found his PSU wasnt good enough and he needed a better one to get it all working.

I have a 460w Enermax in mine and I have had no problems. Its a solid PSU with enough power on all the 3 rails(3.3v, 5v and 12v). Seriously think about upgrading to a decent wattage PSU, dont be tight on the cash though as the 500w PSUs you see for £20 arent going to be any better, get a decent PSU from Antec or Enermax. My 460w PSU was £65 and its still that price 10 months later.

[URL]http://www.overclockers.co.uk[/URL] as they have a Antec 480w for £58 + VAT so about £68 altogether.
Thu 08/04/04 at 07:53
Regular
"\\"
How do i check my temperatures without going into the BIOS?

And no blue screens, it either just hangs and i can't move the mouse at all, or it just resets.
Thu 08/04/04 at 02:28
"I love yo... lamp."
What are your temperatures like?

Any blue screens with error messages?
Wed 07/04/04 at 22:49
Regular
"\\"
Next query... Why does my PC keep hanging? Usually happens when i click something or a song ends on my playlist, also sometimes it just restarts without crashing. MUH!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.