GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your top 10 Apps"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/03/04 at 11:09
Regular
Well, I figured this forum needed a bit of a boost, it seems to be turning into a support forum more then a chat one! Anyway, i'm interested to know what your top 10 appplications are, what applications make your computing life easier/more interesting?

I'll start, just list anything you like, afterall this could turn out to be quite a decent thread for getting "Program reccomendations".

1. Mozilla Firefox - Probably the most advanced web browser ever, fast and easy to use. Excellent!
2. MSN Messenger - I cannot live without this, I have to communicate with people, and this seems the best way to do so.
3. mIRC - For those "file" getting needs (totally legal, yup).....
4. Winamp - This is probably the best multimedia playing app I have seen, it's fast and easy, and very very versatile. Highly reccomended as an alternative to WMP.
5. Nero - Awesome CD Burner, has lots of features.
6. AVG Antivirus - Seeing as I have a Windows system, it's best I keep myself protected, and this beast of a checker does exactly what it says on the tin.
7. Kazaa Lite - Obviously to get music from those budding underground artists....
8. Dev C++ - For my C programming requirements, this program is apt enough.
9. WinRAR - I have to do a lot of copmpression, and this beast of a compresser is excellent for my needs!
10. ExpressPCB - Excellent little Circuit Designer.
Tue 30/03/04 at 19:36
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
> Illustrator CS - Most powerful illustration software there is
>
> Isn't that a Mac program? Or am I thinking something different?

It's for both
Tue 30/03/04 at 17:00
Regular
1. Notepad - I've written a fair few websites on this, and also use it regularly for Perl... so whoop!

2. IE - Can't beat it. Unless you find a better program.

3. MSN - I'm normally on all the time, so it had to be here.

4. Outlook - Just because it's the only way I can recieve emails.

5. CoffeeCup FTP - Not particularly good, but free and useful.

6. Microsoft Word - Absolute crap, really, with annoying auto-formatting and the like, but I use it a fair bit.

7. Paint - My only real paint program, used as a last resort.

8. MS-DOS Prompt - Dunno if it can really count, but great for downloading modules from CPAN, and I use it a lot for Perl.

9. Champ Man 4 - ;-)

10. Can't think

Was there any real point in me doing this? :-\ Muh.
Tue 30/03/04 at 16:10
Regular
Tyla wrote:
> Illustrator CS - Most powerful illustration software there is

Isn't that a Mac program? Or am I thinking something different?
Tue 30/03/04 at 16:03
Regular
"\\"
1.Internet Explorer
What? I can't be bothered to spend my time downloading other browser.
2.Adobe Photoshop 6
Everytime i try and 'acquire' photoshop 7 it doesn't work, and i can create some cool stuff with this.
3.Norton Anti Virus
Seems to keep most junk away
4.Widnows Washer
Gets rid of all that crap which accumilates from exploring the web.
5.Windows Messenger
Basically just MSN yet without those annoying little adverts to the side.
6.Style XP
My desktop looks right funky now
7.Microsoft Word
Lets me do homework without having spend hours writing (un-neat) pages of stuff.
8.WS_FTP
The FTP program i use.
9.Quicktime
Faster than Windows Media player (i have a slow pc) even though it can't play as many formats
10.Gamespy Tunnel
Let's me play Halo online for Xbox.
Tue 30/03/04 at 15:27
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Miserableman wrote:
> Death to everyone who says Internet Explorer on this thread. This
> program is single-handedly responsible for 50% of the problems on the
> internet.

Nutscrape being responsible for the other 50%;)
Tue 30/03/04 at 15:15
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Death to everyone who says Internet Explorer on this thread. This program is single-handedly responsible for 50% of the problems on the internet.
Tue 30/03/04 at 14:33
Regular
"How Handy."
Winamp - Best music player available, especially v5
XChat - Prefer it to mIRC, dunno why
eMule - Excellent for aquiring large files, if you dont mind waiting
K++ - Better for small files
Photoshop CS - I'm addicted to V-Modding cars [URL]http://www.britleisure.co.uk/coppermine/[/URL]
Macromedia Studio MX - Excellent. Like Fireworks for doing little image things where photoshop is overkill, Dreamweaver is great for webdesign, and Flash is fun to play with
IE - It works. What more could I need?
Nero - Quick, simple, reliable. Perfect CD/DVD burning app
Tag&Rename - Dead easy to use to get nice neatly tagged MP3s
Tue 30/03/04 at 13:50
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Christ, I probably don't even use 10 apps regularly! Will give it a go though.

1) Internet Explorer
My window to the world...wide web. Most of the stuff I do on my PC is geared towards being put on here somehow, and IE is reliable and supports all my coding needs.

2) Macromedia Flash MX
After years of ignoring this, I've finally come to value how much this can improve a website, and I'm now making sites completely in Flash thanks to improved connection speeds.

3) Adobe Photoshop 7
The King of image editing tools, you can do more or less anything in this for web design, print, etc. Essential.

4) Notepad
Without this my life would not be complete. Nothing (well, almost nothing) feels better than making a site from scratch, and this is the best way of doing it. I use it for all my coding - HTML, C++, Javascript (in HTML for web tools). More essential to me than a lung.

5) JASC Paint Shop Pro 7/Animation Shop
For the few things that Photoshop can't do, and it's quite a nice little package anyway. Useful for editing and making .AVIs.

6) Winamp
Not essential for anything, but it plays my music well and the plug-ins let me display what's playing on my site - [URL]http://www.pocketmonkey.co.uk[/URL]

7) Acid Pro
Excellent for sequencing music quickly and easily, and then making Mp3s. Use it quite a lot for my audio tech course at Uni.

8) Steinberg Wavelab
Industry standard audio editing tool, very nifty and the effects plug-ins are incredible!

9) Cubase/Cubase SX
Even though this is the "big one" in terms of audio stuff, I hardly use it because it takes far too much effort setting up MIDI lines and other secret, hidden settings.

10) MSN
Ahh, MSN, where would my social life be without you?

Wow, I do use 10 apps regularly!
Tue 30/03/04 at 12:41
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Alcohol 120% - Will rip anything from normal CD's to encryted game CD's.

TopStyle Pro - Best CSS tool on the planet

Photoshop CS - Say no more

mIRC - MSM came a close second, but this is more fun

StyleXP - Better than windowblinds

Studio MX 2004 (Technically 5 appz) - Best investment I ever made

Illustrator CS - Most powerful illustration software there is

eMule - Beats K++ hands down

dBpowerAMP Music Converter - Will convert music in to any audio format imaginable

Mozilla Firefox - Been using this for the last year. Mainly for it's unique set of plugins for site testing.
Tue 30/03/04 at 11:37
Regular
There's a free trial on there, too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.