GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Queries"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/03/04 at 15:17
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Are Getdotted (I know I wrote Freeola and I can't change it!) planning on making the DNS changing thing more 'user friendly' or are they keeping it as it is with the stupid charges?

And if you can offer to drop £6 + VAT off of a domain if they're purchased simultaneously surely that means you can drop the prices for single purchases? You're £6 more a year than other reg companies for renewing .com domains.

If the prices drop and the silly DNS charges go I'll probably stay, but like this I'll pay the £23 it's going to cost me to transfer the domain away as it will benefit me in the long term.
Mon 12/04/04 at 18:39
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Do they have a copy of my signature though? No.

I could have signed it with anything and got it changed...
Mon 12/04/04 at 13:51
Regular
"I crashed into a va"
GetDotted require a signature along with the original Transaction number, this is better security than normal than offered by most other companies.

**Removed my boring long arsed horror story as has nothing to do with DNS change
Thu 08/04/04 at 15:57
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Ha, I just got the confirmation through asking me for my password at 3:15 this afternoon, that's nearly 3 days after I initially asked for it to be done. The DNS would have finished propagating by now if I had done it online like other providers.

I phoned up to cancel it yesterday too as the server is starting to work again but got cut off after queuing for 10 minutes, I also faxed in a request to cancel it.

For something that can be done on the spot for free at other places, you really must see my point when I pay you to take 3 days to change it for me...
Wed 07/04/04 at 17:53
Regular
Brio wrote:
> M () l) E wrote:
> Brio are you a Staffie? You are a newbie and have been here for over
> 1000 days, doesnt make sense.
>
> What doesn't make sense? If I were staff it would say
> "Staff" under my username.

Could be part time?
Bah. Doesnt matter. Its just that you have been here longer than most regulars.

Are you a getdotted customer?
Wed 07/04/04 at 16:38
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
M () l) E wrote:
> Brio are you a Staffie? You are a newbie and have been here for over
> 1000 days, doesnt make sense.

What doesn't make sense? If I were staff it would say "Staff" under my username.
Wed 07/04/04 at 14:45
Regular
Other Hosting Companies offer Packages which suit your needs and web-space is allocated, why dont freeola/getdotted do this?

Brio are you a Staffie? You are a newbie and have been here for over 1000 days, doesnt make sense.
Wed 07/04/04 at 14:33
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
The cost with the current system is the manual work involved - verifying people and manually making the changes to the system. With the current send-a-letter-off system it costs them money to carry out the changes, so if it were free people could change as often as they wanted - costing Freeola money.

As they have said, they are changing how this is to be done, but currently it is unfeasable for it to be free.

As for the complication of changing, I know it is a pain having to find out old e-mails etc, but they need some proof. What would stop me doing a lookup on your domain, finding out your details, and simply sending a letter, with your address at the top, to Freeola, asking them to change it to point to my DNS? Wouldn't that be more of an inconvenience?

They have to get information that only you would know!
Wed 07/04/04 at 12:47
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I've got my debit card back, it was in the car, which in turn was up North somewhere with my Dad.

And how does it cost money to change the DNS? All other registrars let you do it for free as much as you like yet Freeola charge you. Surely if it costs money the others wouldn't let you have unlimited access to change the nameservers?

I bought that domain 3 years ago, got the TRN number with it then. I've got a new PC since then so the number is nowhere to be found. I gave them my email address that I used to sign up so they could email me to verify it but nothing has happened and the DNS still hasn't been changed.

With the restricted webspace, I wasn't saying give it out for free. Maybe a one off fee or something like that, they could easily beat other web hosting services. Plus dial-up is going now, many PCs are being sold without modems so the service needs to be changed.

Plus I'm not hosted with Freeola anymore anyway, I haven't got a dial-up connection to use.
Wed 07/04/04 at 00:44
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
I think people are forgetting that GetDotted is very much an integral part of the Freeola ISP, and as they are an ISP it is standard practice to restrict access to their own connections, both for security purposes, and in the case of paid dial-up access, to cover their costs.

Limiting the amount of space, but allowing for any connection would still remove a large source of revenue from the company. How would they prevent multiple sign ups and people abusing the service still? With the current method, even though people can sign up for unlimited disk space, Freeola recoup their costs. They also have in house logs of "who uploaded what" to their servers, so people who abuse the system can easily be dealt with!

DNS name change charges are an understandable way to help recoup costs - it does cost money to make these changes under their current system, and it's only right the end user should pay for it. When you change the DNS you aren't using their services, and are removing the need to upload with a Freeola connection. Besides, would you host with Freeola if the servers were always down due to people abusing them? Sending out spam and getting them blacklisted, and generally ruining a service for everyone?

I can't understand why people are complaining that their are costs involved in web hosting. It does cost money to run a web host. They need to make a profit too. If you really hate that go with a free host, if you think that is a better choice for you.

phi11ip, they want a transaction number from you to ensure you aren't trying to steal someone else's domain name. A uniquie piece of information like that will ensure someone else can't point your domain name at their servers. Would you like it if that happens? As they have said, they are changing how this sytem works, but surely better safe than sorry?

"I haven't got a cheque book, a credit card or a post office anywhere near me that I can get a postal order from."

I bet they'd hate to loose a customer like you!
Tue 06/04/04 at 18:19
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I sent my form yesterday, you've now had a full day to edit the nameservers yet nothing has changed.

I paid you for a service which other registrars let me do instantly for free. I'm sitting here now having paid you and I'm still waiting for it to be done. If I was able to do it online the nameservers would have propagated fully before you will even change them, as I can't see them being changed tonight...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.