GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Things to consider when you're deaf"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/03/04 at 18:37
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I have to make a list of things that need working around in the 6 weeks after my operation, so I'm looking for a little help with things I may have overlooked.

- getting around not hearing the alarm in the morning
- people at the front door
- telling people not to ring the home phone or leave voice messages
- borrowing a tv with subtitles

one problem i havent found a solution for yet is my cooker. to light it you have to press the button til it clicks and then turn on the gas, but i wont hear the click and its unsafe to have the gas on beforehand, i not a big fan of microwave food but unless theres someone around i think i might have to stick with that for a while.
Wed 17/03/04 at 19:33
Regular
Lindgren wrote:
> My course largely revolves around group projects and lab work, so I
> get the feeling I'm going to be left out in the cold a bit.

a shame this has to go ahead so soon rather than the summer where you absence from uni wouldnt be a problem.
Wed 17/03/04 at 19:31
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
My course largely revolves around group projects and lab work, so I get the feeling I'm going to be left out in the cold a bit.
Wed 17/03/04 at 19:23
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> a few things

so is she actually just going to sit in her place for the entire 6 weeks? that's crazy well unless you have loads of other people do stuff for you. is uni life a simple one? I wouldnt know I never went but I did run a course at one.
Wed 17/03/04 at 19:15
"I love yo... lamp."
Simple solution: Come and live with me. Sure you would miss uni, but I still have all my old notes and could read over them and teach you (still only first year yeah?).

More realistic solutions:

For the phone, switch to mobile only and texting. Get a vibrating mobile. It has other uses as well. But never fly with one on in your pocket. Bad idea.

TV - any teletext TV, page 888 (in Britain anyway, not sure about Ireland).

Now for the challenging one. Waking up. A high powered spotlight (i.e. a halogen bulb) angled at your pillow, on a timer switch.

As for the front door, I think you might just have to study up on your Home Alone style contraptions for someone at the door. Alternatively, one of those remote vibrating and flashing bells might work.
Wed 17/03/04 at 19:15
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
Let me guess, you know somebody, who knows somebody that supplies somebody?
Wed 17/03/04 at 19:14
Regular
"SOUP!"
Invest in some good quality hash and spend 6 weeks stoned off your ass.
Wed 17/03/04 at 19:14
Regular
Yeah but her impending deafness could cause her other senses to mutate into super-senses. So while reading her book she could smell the masked figure as he climbs through the window. Having super-senses she quickly turns and sees the intruder through the wall and runs over to the kitchen picks up her nunchucks(sp) she won at the local fair last week and beat the shi.. out of the bloke.

That'd be cool if that happens.
If it does, you so have to promise to wear a cape and your pants on the outside.
Wed 17/03/04 at 19:10
Regular
6 weeks is a very long time. If i was going to be deaf for a awhile, I would probably make lots of cards with either pictures or writing on so that I can just show people to communicate better. Maybe one of those little dictionary things or something that I could type small messages in and carry with me anywhere without having to take pen and paper. umm doing your shopping would be very difficult you probably wont be that good at lip reading. Having a dvd player and watching lots of subtitled movies would be good. Can't think of anything else, unless you go outside and some guy tries to chat to you. I guess there's no real point for you to learn sign language. I'm learning it, it's not as easy as it looks :(
Wed 17/03/04 at 19:07
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
What if you're home alone one day, you're sitting quietly on the living room chair reading a book in the silence when the silence is broken by the shatter of the kitchen window! Still you read though with no idea that your life is in peril. As a masked figure climbs in through the window knocking over many kitchen utensils making a variety of crashing sounds you still sit quite content. He even cut's himself on a piece of stray glass yelping in pain but still you do nothing. Next he struts to through to the living room whistling aloud as you are blisfully unaware of the danger. He approaches the chair from behind and suffocates you with a plastic bag before you can make a sound! You will have lived and died in silence for 6 weeks! That'll suck if that happens.
Wed 17/03/04 at 19:04
Regular
"Meh"
Lindgren wrote:
I dont want to be left isolated.

*jumps*

I'll live with you!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.