GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Things to consider when you're deaf"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/03/04 at 18:37
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I have to make a list of things that need working around in the 6 weeks after my operation, so I'm looking for a little help with things I may have overlooked.

- getting around not hearing the alarm in the morning
- people at the front door
- telling people not to ring the home phone or leave voice messages
- borrowing a tv with subtitles

one problem i havent found a solution for yet is my cooker. to light it you have to press the button til it clicks and then turn on the gas, but i wont hear the click and its unsafe to have the gas on beforehand, i not a big fan of microwave food but unless theres someone around i think i might have to stick with that for a while.
Thu 18/03/04 at 19:59
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
No, it wouldn't, I have no sensoineural hearing.
Thu 18/03/04 at 19:58
Regular
"Plate of glue"
Would a hearing aid work?
Thu 18/03/04 at 19:52
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Yes, I will be completely deaf.
Thu 18/03/04 at 15:58
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Are you to be completely deaf?

If you are, be ready for a lot of people to shout in your face, even though this doesn’t really increase the likelihood of you hearing…oh, and they may put “EH!” on the end a lot.
Wed 17/03/04 at 20:49
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I've spent most of my adult life figuring out how to do stuff a different way, using equipment and common sense and, thankfully, it's quite easy to apply it to different situations easily.
Wed 17/03/04 at 20:46
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
You're full of ideas Timmargh! And thanks for the link. They've got some very handy stuff there.
Wed 17/03/04 at 20:43
Regular
"Twenty quid."
[URL]http://www.deafequipment.co.uk/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=007&DEPT=0000000110&BACK=A0011A1E00000000111E1[/URL] for some ideas on stuff you could buy.

Have you contacted your local social services or occupational therapy department? They may have equipment you could borrow.
Wed 17/03/04 at 20:40
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Lindgren wrote:
> I hadn't thought of that! Excellent, thanks Timmargh!

Glad to help.

For the "people at the front door" one: how about a length of string through the letter box that people can tug, with the other end tied somewhere in sight with a hanky tied on it so you can see it move?
Wed 17/03/04 at 20:38
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Timmargh wrote:
> For the cooker: couldn't you just light it with a match and not use
> the button-press-click-thingy?
>

I hadn't thought of that! Excellent, thanks Timmargh!
Wed 17/03/04 at 20:36
Regular
"Twenty quid."
For the cooker: couldn't you just light it with a match and not use the button-press-click-thingy?

Cub!st wrote:
> Let me guess, you know somebody, who knows somebody that supplies somebody?

*ahem*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.