GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fitness Freaks?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 14/03/04 at 19:56
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
:) Having just insulted you I'm now hoping you'll be helpful :P

Anyone who has seen my pic on Special Observe will probably notice I'm what you'd call "overweight" and probably bordering on obese actually. Before the "who ate all the pies" etc joke replies start I'd point out that it's not all from overeating but something else as well, but that's not relevant.

Going off tracks...

If I wanted a piece of exercise equipment what would be best out of:

treadmill
exercise bike

From what little I have read I know that rowing machines are supposed to be quite good, as are these eliptical trainer things...but I want to start gentle.

The only gym in town is £35 a month so I figure that I may as well just buy my own stuff....swimming is also no good to me because without my glasses on I'm as shortsighted as...erm a very shortsighted person. With my glasses on I can't go underwater or wear goggles so my eyes soon end up hurting like hell...

Also if anyone knows any good online stores for the stuff, 'cause only Argos sells it where I live, though they seem to have a lot of stuff available.

Anyone?
Mon 15/03/04 at 04:05
Regular
I tried reading some of those other replies, but I wanted to scratch my eyes out with boredom (no offense anyone, I have a very low boredom threshold right now), so I stopped.
So excuse me if I repeat anyone/everyone, but here are my thoughts:

Bike vs Treadmill:

Treadmills are sooo boring. And if your exercise is boring you won't want to do it.
Plus you can run outside - works much better if you can find someone to go with though - helps keep you motivated and makes sure you stick to your schedule (when you might not bother if you were alone) as you don't want to let them down.

Gym bikes are good, and useful when you don't want to go out, or just do a 5 or 10 minute blast.
A proper bike offers a fairly different workout, IMO, too hard going up hill, too easy going down and too boring on a level.
(Plus filthy scum steal your bikes - the really good ones that you expected to last into your 30s or something. Not that I'm infinitely bitter to the point of wanting to castrate the pikey scum...)

Plus excercise bikes are cheaper than running machines.
(Real bikes can set you back a couple of hundred for a nice one, and then you lose it. Alright, I'm bitter.)

However, a skipping rope is cheaper than all of them. Get a leather one and you'll feel like a boxer instead of a schoolgirl :^)
I always found ropes good for a quick 5 or 10 minute blast, rather than anything sustained though. Which is probably good because it gets boring after much longer.

Maybe get a skipping rope for short, high intensity, stuff, and a bike for longer sessions while watching TV or something.
And get a running partner. If you go at a pace that you can still talk it helps the time pass too.

Sports:
The glasses might hold you back a bit, unless you get contact lenses (£15-20 per month for monthly disposables).
But I always found exercise for exercise's sake to be a bit boring. Whereas if you find a sport you love then you can forget about the exercise bit.
Your local sports centre should have some teams and/or beginner classes in stuff.

Maybe a subscription to mens' health or something would help too, if only to serve as a monthly reminder through your letterbox, telling you to train.

Good luck anyway.
Mon 15/03/04 at 00:08
Regular
Taking a "before" picture is very encouraging, I guess if you want to be fitter you have to change your life style whether eating properly or just doing exercise regularly. Once you get into a routine you should do well.

When you havent done exercise in a long time and you start again you really feel a lot better, your body enjoys being very active. I remember I felt like running and jumping around the house the rest of the day after a good exercise session. Feeling more healthy and fit should be the driving force to get you going, not the comments of others.
Sun 14/03/04 at 23:49
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
SHEEPY wrote:
> Go and crack one off in the mirror you vanity driven something

Agreed.
Cubist, you can be one hell of a moron sometimes.
Sun 14/03/04 at 23:47
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Go and crack one off in the mirror you vanity driven something
Sun 14/03/04 at 23:45
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
SHEEPY wrote:
> Don't feel you need to lose weight because of what others (namely
> Light) say about your appearance.

Oh please that's why 90% of people want to get fit and it can be a powerful driving force to reach your goal if taken in the right way. Although I do realise that if it effects the person very badly it can lead to all manner of nasty things.
Sun 14/03/04 at 23:43
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Don't feel you need to lose weight because of what others (namely Light) say about your appearance.

I'm thinking of doing exercise but mainly to make myself fit because I like to feel healthy.
Sun 14/03/04 at 23:21
Regular
Personally I'd go for the exercise bike, although a gym membership, should you make good use of it, is far more cost effective, and allows you to work on all aspects of your fitness.

Jogging around the block a couple of times, on a regular basis (say every day after work) would help a lot.

Once you've been doing any of this for a while, you may want to advance on to circuit training (available at most leisure centres). Although this really is hard work, so is certainly not something to start on.
Sun 14/03/04 at 23:08
Regular
I really wouldnt recommend you do running and walking, well I think you have to walk for about 9 hours to burn a pound. Walking is great though, do it lots but for me there wasnt really anywhere to walk to.

I strongly recommend an exercise bike, only if you have some form of entertainment to keep you going. Like someone said it can get extremely boring. I bought an exercise bike for about 100 pounds (there are cheaper ones). Everyday I would go on it for an hour. Doing it in silence is terrible so I would watch a movie or something that was on TV that would usually last an hour. You tend to start noticing a difference the next day, in a week you'll look and feel quite fitter. When you've lost some weight an exercise video like Tae-bo is really good if you want to tone your body. Lots of kicks and punches to really get you going. Stretches and other simple exercises are very important daily, I usually do a lot of weight lifting every other day as well. Try and lead up to 40lbs per dumbbell.
Sun 14/03/04 at 23:00
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Peanut Head wrote:
> Mmm. Get a haircut.

Ah. Scouser.
Sun 14/03/04 at 22:42
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Peanut Head wrote:
> Farm boy.

..............?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.