GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help find a cure for cancer"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/04/01 at 14:43
Regular
On Saturday, a childhood hero of mine - David Rocastle - died of a form of cancer. He was 33.

My best friend's dad also died from cancer a few years ago.

I also fear cancer because, though I've never smoked, I grew up with two parents who were heavy smokers; my mum has since given up, but my dad continues to smoke reasonably heavily.

Now all of us with PC's or Mac's have a chance to assist in finding a cure for this disease.

Go to this URL:

http://members.ud.com /vypc/cancer/

(remember to remove the space)

...and download the software. It runs in your computer's spare cycles and analyses potential cures for cancer.

All other relevant info can be found on the site.

If anyone is interested in joining it, I have created a team called 'Special Reserve Forum Regulars'.
Tue 03/04/01 at 14:43
"High polygon count"
On Saturday, a childhood hero of mine - David Rocastle - died of a form of cancer. He was 33.

My best friend's dad also died from cancer a few years ago.

I also fear cancer because, though I've never smoked, I grew up with two parents who were heavy smokers; my mum has since given up, but my dad continues to smoke reasonably heavily.

Now all of us with PC's or Mac's have a chance to assist in finding a cure for this disease.

Go to this URL:

http://members.ud.com /vypc/cancer/

(remember to remove the space)

...and download the software. It runs in your computer's spare cycles and analyses potential cures for cancer.

All other relevant info can be found on the site.

If anyone is interested in joining it, I have created a team called 'Special Reserve Forum Regulars'.
Tue 03/04/01 at 15:08
Regular
"I like cheese"
I will join Wookie!!

But how do I join the, "SR regulars" team???
Tue 03/04/01 at 15:10
Regular
It keeps crashing everytime I try to register... must have a lot of people interested in it.
Tue 03/04/01 at 15:34
"High polygon count"
They are stress-testing the system at the moment, so it is very slow and unreliable.

Joining the team should be documented on the web site; I'll post more info as soon as I can get a reliable connection!
Tue 03/04/01 at 15:42
"High polygon count"
Okay...

Once you've installed and registered the software (no cost involved, just an online registration), and you're logged in to the web site, go to "My Team Manager" and "List All Teams".

Find the team - "Special Reserve Forum Regulars" - and click on the team name in the list. In the screen that appears, simply click on "Join this team".
Tue 03/04/01 at 15:50
"High polygon count"
The "Special Reserve Forum Regulars" team can currently be found on page 9 of the 'all teams' listing.
Tue 03/04/01 at 15:54
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
You're such a nice man, Wookie. Where do you get all of your enthusiasm from?
Tue 03/04/01 at 16:08
Regular
David Rocastle, didn't know him that well as a player but heard he was good.
Tue 03/04/01 at 16:19
"High polygon count"
Mr.Snuggly wrote:
> You're such a nice man, Wookie. Where do you get all of your
> enthusiasm from?

So many people would laugh if they heard me described as enthusiastic!

Well, I used to run the SETI program, but I figure this is quite a bit more deserving. I first read about it in a news story on the main Freeola page, but it didn't have a link to the software. Then today I heard the website URL mentioned on the radio, and thought I'd have a look.

My work PC is left on over the weekends, and is idle from 5:30pm until 9:00am the following day during the week (in fact, some would say that it doesn't do much during the weekdays either... :-) so I just figured it may as well be put to use.

They reckon they need something like 24 million processor hours to analyse all of their data, and the way I see it, most companies and schools/colleges have a significant amount of idle PC time between them, even if only overnight; if they all install this software, the quicker a cure might be found. That might be just in time to save someone that you or I know.

That basically gave me all the enthusiasm I needed! :-)
Tue 03/04/01 at 17:00
Regular
Count me in! Im on my way over there now....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.