GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You know what I've noticed..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/02/04 at 22:42
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
People on these forums care WAY too much. Sometimes over larger things like constant spamming or what have you which I can understand getting a wee bit annoyed it but sometimes over some REALLY trivial things too. For example I have been browsing the forums on and off today and I'd say that 1 in every 4 posts consists of people trying to convince somebody else that they aren't as stupid as someone is calling them. These often include words like "Actually","If" and "Bothered". People are picking up on pety technicalities and twisting what other people say to begin these insane little fights between people who I bet off of the forums they couldn't care less about.

These fights are ALWAYS started over people reading one thing and taking words too literaly. Often these are just mistakes or aren't even vital to the sentence but they make a huge deal over it for no reason. Why is it that these people bother? I mean in all seriousness can't they just let the little things drop without pointing them out and starting pety fights over it that end up disproportionately large compared to the original problem. It just bothers me ever so slightly that some people actually have the time in their lives to make such a fuss of something so small.
Sat 28/02/04 at 01:38
Regular
"8==="
Oh I "DO" hope this thread doesn't surface again...
Fri 27/02/04 at 13:16
Regular
"You fail in life!"
Cub!st wrote:
> I am willing to acknowledge that when conversing in text medium you do
> not get tones of voice, facial expressions, body language or anything
> else that contributes to how your message is recieved.
>
> However what is truly easier? Giving someone the benefit of the doubt
> every now and again and letting it drop or arguing about it intensly
> and trying to get them to chane their ways over something so trivial?
> I try to be as accurate and concise as possible but I like to debate
> about a variety of things in the Movie forums and so on so I do on
> occassion slip up and get into huge debates over something I said
> right back at the start of the conversation when I am trying to
> progress onto something that actually has a point to it.

It can be a probem, somethings are taken too literally and too seriously and then the entire topics goes sour because it basically becomes
a battle ground.
Fri 27/02/04 at 11:27
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
Hah! A blue and purple carpet, do you have your on retro 60's shag pad or something? :p
Fri 27/02/04 at 11:16
Regular
"I ush!"
Cub!st wrote:
> Simon Says wrote:
> I don't know what that was. Bit random I guess. Sorry
>
> It's fine, no one can stay mad at Sully can they?

You would have thought not, although the girlfriend is still pretty ticked off at picking blue and purple fur out of the carpet ; )
Fri 27/02/04 at 11:12
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
Simon Says wrote:
> I don't know what that was. Bit random I guess. Sorry

It's fine, no one can stay mad at Sully can they?
Fri 27/02/04 at 11:07
Regular
"I ush!"
Cub!st wrote:
> I am willing to acknowledge that when conversing in text medium you do
> not get tones of voice, facial expressions, body language or anything
> else that contributes to how your message is recieved.
>
> However what is truly easier? Giving someone the benefit of the doubt
> every now and again and letting it drop or arguing about it intensly
> and trying to get them to chane their ways over something so trivial?
> I try to be as accurate and concise as possible but I like to debate
> about a variety of things in the Movie forums and so on so I do on
> occassion slip up and get into huge debates over something I said
> right back at the start of the conversation when I am trying to
> progress onto something that actually has a point to it.

Those are all fair points. I just think that sometimes people go on the defensive and there is no doubt in their mind when they misunderstand someone. Then they fight like a cornered animal, a fox or a badger perhaps. Possibly injured and fighting for its life.

I don't know what that was. Bit random I guess. Sorry
Fri 27/02/04 at 11:01
Regular
"They Call Her 1 Eye"
I am willing to acknowledge that when conversing in text medium you do not get tones of voice, facial expressions, body language or anything else that contributes to how your message is recieved.

However what is truly easier? Giving someone the benefit of the doubt every now and again and letting it drop or arguing about it intensly and trying to get them to chane their ways over something so trivial? I try to be as accurate and concise as possible but I like to debate about a variety of things in the Movie forums and so on so I do on occassion slip up and get into huge debates over something I said right back at the start of the conversation when I am trying to progress onto something that actually has a point to it.
Fri 27/02/04 at 09:14
"Mimmargh!"
When will you learn Cubist?
Fri 27/02/04 at 09:14
Regular
"I ush!"
ACTUALLY IF people BOTHERED to think a little more about their posts this could be avoided. I'm sure that you are right in some respects with people picking out minor points and using a little misdirection, but I also think that some people don't appreciate the way that using a written medium in a conversation type situation has a large impact upon how your posts are interpreted. There are no inflections or emphasis on words, and it’s almost impossible to detect sarcasm without context. That’s why for a while everyone was so obsessed with how many different ways they could draw a smiling or frowning face. ; )
Fri 27/02/04 at 09:09
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Cub!st wrote:
> etc etc people actually have the time in their lives to make such a
> fuss of something so small.

Hehehehehehhe, yet you will agrue with me about how "Deep Blue Sea", if set somewhere else apart from the research facility would turn into "Jaws".

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.