GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More Revolution rumours"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/04/05 at 21:44
Regular
Pretty much confirmed news:

The Revolution will also be a wireless router for the home, connect broadband to it and it will allow nearby consoles to link and go online. Such as a DS for example.

Rumours:

Revolution will be VERY cheap, will be only a little more powerful than a Gamecube and vastly inferior to X-box 360 and PS3. There will be multiple controllers, touch screen, gyro and camera are all being touted.

If the latter is true then I told you Nintendo are gunning for a different market.
Page:
Wed 20/04/05 at 22:24
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Dringo wrote:

>
> Christ Nintendo gamers are getting more and more shallow every day.

I've never pretended to be your typical Ninty fan, I liked the SNES because it was more advanced than the Megadrive.

I liked the N64 because it was the most advanced system at the time, and the games all the more playable because of it.

I liked the Gamecube because it wiped the floor with the PS2 and whether or not its more powerful in real life than the X-Box is still down to debate.

If the next one is blatantly less powerful than the rivals, I will go for the next most powerful non-Sony machine. Then purchase the Nintendo offering as an after thought (to experience the Ninty magic)
Wed 20/04/05 at 22:24
Regular
Tphi wrote:

> Mario Sunshine was a brilliant game, kept me playing for ages.
> Comparisons to the groundbreaking Mario 64 are obvious but pointless
> if you were expecting to be wowed by Sunshine as much as you were by
> 64, but it is still a very good game. As for Nintendo going
> downhill.. no. Pikmin 2? Their work with Retro on Metroid Prime?
> Compare it to everything else out there and if they're going
> downhill, they're still miles higher than 99% of everything else for
> me.

Don't forget the stunning Paper Mario 2!

Nintendo going downhill has been a common misconception created by a few Nintendo fans not too happy with the change in direction for Wind Waker and Double Dash and those who felt Sunshine was a side step.
Wed 20/04/05 at 22:25
Regular
Power, Power, Power, Graphics, Graphics and Graphics is that really how consoles should be? It's becoming exactly like PC buying!
That's why I don't want EVERY multiformat game that comes out for the PS2 and X-Box but not the 'Cube but stuff like a True Final Fantasy game and a Pro Evolution game for the Revolution is enough for me cos otherwise all the consoles will basically have the same old rubbish with each one looking better or worse than each other because of hardware capabilities.

One true Mario Platformer, one Zelda game, one Mario Kart (with downloadable content), NO Mario Party game, NO Mario sports game (they can't possibly make any advancing changes to these games) a new Metroid game and a new Donkey Kong game.
Wed 20/04/05 at 22:25
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Dringo wrote:

>
> And the idea is for it to go gunning for a new generation of gamers
> not to impress the old.

There... WE ARE the old school gamers. Also I would never ever ever be blasphemious and imply that Nintendo have gone downhill.EVER.
Wed 20/04/05 at 22:30
Regular
tigamilla wrote:

> If the next one is blatantly less powerful than the rivals, I will go
> for the next most powerful non-Sony machine. Then purchase the
> Nintendo offering as an after thought (to experience the Ninty magic)

Well we'll see, but i'll let you off. I'd probably get 2 as well.
Wed 20/04/05 at 22:31
Regular
"thursdayton!"
tigamilla wrote:
> gameplay wise not much has changed since th days of the N64, if
> anything its worsened as Mario sunshine proved.
Wed 20/04/05 at 22:32
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Dringo wrote:
> The Gamecube was a minor side step, a games only system with cheap
> games and hardware. It worked a little but then fell apart. This time
> Nintendo are trying to be REALLY different.

So if the Gamecube has fallen apart, why are Nintendo so scared of overshadowing it with the Revolution? Why are they still focusing on it if it's such a disaster? Why don't they just move on to the Revolution and pull out all the stops.

I don't care how optimistic you are, a half baked, cheapo machine with some new control method isn't going to sell to anyone. Not non gamers, not current gamers - no one. I don't know about you but I don't particularly want to be forced into buying 2 consoles just because Nintendo don't want to compete anymore.

And you are forgetting that more power doesn't only mean better graphics. Without more power we'd never have had OOT, we'd never have had games like Operation Flashpoint, Rome Total War, Resident Evil 4 and countless others. Full, complete games offering expansive, involving worlds, that are made possible by the progression of hardware, not different input devices. If the Revolution is only a bit more powerful than the GC then the scope for its games will be exactly the same. Whereas on Xbox360 you'll see constantly evolving, changing, living worlds for games, Revolution games will still be boxed in by invisible boundaries and overloaded pipelines.

If what you say is true, and that the "Revolution" of the Revolution is simply an input gimmick, such as a touch screen, gyroscopy or what not (which will, incedentally, make the controllers hideously expensive), then it will not be a success. If it's revolution is hardware based, to do with the processing of code or this floating point business, something that actually changes the games, rather than just the way you control them, it really WILL be a step in the right direction.

What worries me is that any internal hardware or processing mechanic like this wouldn't be stolen by Sony or Microsoft, so Nintendo wouldn't be scared of showing off the Revolution to them. Controllers, however, could easily be stolen (Dual Shock, anyone?), which suggests that, if Nintendo are scared, its because what they have is easy to copy, and therefore not really that Revolutionary at all.

Also gamecube software isn't cheaper, Dringo, and the Gamecube wasn't a "minor sidestep", it was just a gross understimation on Nintendo's part.
Wed 20/04/05 at 22:34
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> I'd probably get 2 as well.

But the Nintendo one first, obviously :)

Unless the Revolution is really cheap, I doubt I'd have the money to get two.
Wed 20/04/05 at 22:34
Regular
Tphi wrote:
> tigamilla wrote:
> gameplay wise not much has changed since th days of the N64, if
> anything its worsened as Mario sunshine proved.

I actually enjoyed Mario Sunshine the games for me are as good quality as I expect from Nintendo but we need a bit more to get more people to buy a Nintendo console.
Wed 20/04/05 at 22:35
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Dringo wrote:
> I think you'll get "PS3 unveils stunning looking GTA",
> "X-box360 stuns crowd with amazing new Halo game",
> "Nintendo show wireless online, gryo controller Mario
> Kart".

I hope the hypocracy of this post doesn't escape you
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.