GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More Revolution rumours"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/04/05 at 21:44
Regular
Pretty much confirmed news:

The Revolution will also be a wireless router for the home, connect broadband to it and it will allow nearby consoles to link and go online. Such as a DS for example.

Rumours:

Revolution will be VERY cheap, will be only a little more powerful than a Gamecube and vastly inferior to X-box 360 and PS3. There will be multiple controllers, touch screen, gyro and camera are all being touted.

If the latter is true then I told you Nintendo are gunning for a different market.
Page:
Sun 15/05/05 at 23:30
"period drama"
Well, not long now and we'll know for sure.
Sun 15/05/05 at 23:26
Regular
But that is also a rumour...

Christ almighty.

I did say it was a revolution rumour we've been doing revolution rumours for months and discussing them.
Sun 15/05/05 at 23:15
Regular
Sorry to bring up an old topic but it just goes to show that you shouldnt believe everything you read on the net *coff* dringo *coff*

Taken from nintendo europe...
According to the early information, Revolution will combine powerful technology and gaming-focused features in Nintendo's smallest home game console yet.

and...

Thanks to Nintendo's hardware development partners IBM and ATI, the small system will be packed with power that will enable it to wow players with its graphics.
Thu 28/04/05 at 18:05
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Can't wait to see what Nintendo have got in store?

Either:

1) I'll get the time machine

2) Wait and see, young ones
Thu 28/04/05 at 17:59
Regular
It would mean that the game could choose for itself the best way to control it, rather than being held back by the pad.
I know that using C-buttons for beat em ups was a nuisance and any game requiring a d-pad struggled on the GC.

Those examples come straight to mind.

I guess there could be personalisation software where you can design your own favourite pad set-up. :-)
Thu 28/04/05 at 16:06
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Excuse me for being cynical but what's the point of having a touchscreen with pop out buttons? Why not just use regular buttons? Is it so you can have different amounts of buttons for each game? It would mean you had to learn a completely new layout for each game. Hardly easy to use.
Thu 28/04/05 at 13:59
Regular
They'd need a screen that could pop out about 0.5 cm...
No tech around that can do that at the moment.
Also, it would have to be pressure sensetive (I mean, touching it is one thing, but touching it a certain hardness...).

The screen bit would be a piece of cake after that! :-D
Thu 28/04/05 at 10:35
"period drama"
Strafio wrote:
> Well, you've got to have some reason, otherwise it doesn't go
> anywhere.
> Get's too repetitive.

Yeah, 'tis starting to get a bit so.
I'll leave it here, methinks. Until another groundless rumour breaks through, then I'll be off again.

> Anysway, stop binge bashing Dringo, get a proper design of your
> "pop out touchscreen buttons" idea and get it sent to
> Nintendo.
> That would the answer to ALL control problems (and leave Sony and MS
> in the dirt for a generation).

It would indeed.
Any ideas of how it could possibly work in a million years would be quite nice.
Thu 28/04/05 at 10:33
"period drama"
Dringo wrote:
> No but it can help increase interactivity.
>
> How do you know how Nintendo's gyroscopic controllers are going to
> work?

Because of how gyroscopes work. It'll generally be a gyroscope ... in a controller. Hence "gyro controller", muh

And any kind of tilting thing loses all the accuracy of pushing a stick.
I'm gonna let my other points slide (just for you) and say Ninty will sort all that out.

In terms of accuracy, the analogue stick was a step forward over the D-Pad, because you had more specific control over everything. But this just seems like a step backwards - you can't easily see or tell how much or where exactly you're tilting the thing in the air.

> Nintendo are masters at game creation, what makes you think it is
> going to be awkward to play?

See above.

> I do not know what Nintendo are doing, I'm just open to the fact that
> a gyro controller could be ANYTHING! It could be a bracelet! I dunno,
> but whatever it is, if a gyro system is used (and it is likely to be
> an extra, used for a few games, rather than the full blown control
> method) then I can bet my bottom dollar it will work.

Then you can't state it as a revolution if it's an optional control scheme. If some games use it and some don't, that's kind of undermining the whole point.

A revolution should make all games use it - because it'll be a natural, perfect improvement in control (like the analogue stick, now standard)
I don't think gyro fits anywhere near this.

> Because Nintendo don't do shoddy products. At least not since 1992's
> Virtual Boy, and that wasn't a full blown next console.

Fair enough.

But then they do something utterly stupid, like the microphone for Mario Party, and are convinced it'll work no matter what the obvious, fatal flaws are in the design. Just glad they've seemingly canned all talk of voice recognition with the Revolution now.

And it seems like they're doing it again.
And we're not talking about a full blown next console, we're talking about the controller.
Thu 28/04/05 at 10:32
Regular
Well, you've got to have some reason, otherwise it doesn't go anywhere.
Get's too repetitive.

Anysway, stop binge bashing Dringo, get a proper design of your "pop out touchscreen buttons" idea and get it sent to Nintendo.
That would the answer to ALL control problems (and leave Sony and MS in the dirt for a generation).
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.