GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can anyone recommend me a good War film?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/02/04 at 19:29
Regular
I like War Films and I have many on DVD. Just wondering if people know any good ones which I could get on DVD? I already have Saving Private Ryan, The Bridge on the River Kwai and The Great Escape. and no 18s please only 15s or under.

Thanks
Tue 24/02/04 at 17:23
Regular
"www.360volts.tk"
paltoon is great but i cannot remember the age soz
Tue 24/02/04 at 16:37
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Azul wrote:
> Stupid, stupid man.

It was ok, but I wouldn't want to watch it more then twice. Just not my kind of film.
Tue 24/02/04 at 16:33
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
Where Eagles Dare is one of my favourite classics but personally the great Clint Eastwood in kelly's Heroes is just the greatest. Granted they're not actually fighting in a war but trying to steal gold it's still about the Allies vs Germanness. It's great.
Tue 24/02/04 at 16:27
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
'Empire of the Sun' is a great book, but I don't know if the film's any good. But it's a damn good story based on the author's life.

Another gem is 'Zulu', which is about the battle of Rorke's Drift. It involves some great fight scenes, including a load of zulus getting impaled on bayonets.

But if you want a really funny war film, get 'Hot Shots II'. Highlights include a guy firing a chicken from a bow, Loads of Iraqis getting shot, the American president puking on the Japanese Prime minister, and Saddam Hussein being portrayed as a gay psycopath.
Tue 24/02/04 at 12:20
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Heh, i'd forgotten kellys heroes.

Its great.
Tue 24/02/04 at 12:14
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
The Dirty Dozen is good. 12 dangerous criminals are trained up to go on a suicide mission into occupied territory to destroy a Nazi chateau.
Lee Marvin is great as the hardnut US army major who has to turn the misfits into a proper military unit, and Charles Bronson, Telly Savalas and Donald Sutherland are some of the crims.

Kelly's Heroes is a good war caper. Clint Eastwood leads a ragtag bunch of soldiers looking to steal millions of dollars worth of Nazi gold in occupied France. Telly Savalas and Donald Sutherland as a hippie tank driver are part of Clint's team, and it's a good fun caper.
Tue 24/02/04 at 12:05
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
> ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> You want Full Metal Jacket for a start

I can't get away with FMJ, as the fact that Kubrick wouldn't leave the country distracts me. The road markings that you see are English markings, and I never knew that Saigon looked exactly like derelict land in London.
Tue 24/02/04 at 11:22
Regular
"A man with a stick"
A few War film I'd recommend:

The Longest Day - One of my favourites, it's a film set around the D-Day landings and focuses on all nations who took part in the invasion, the Americans, The British (yup, we actually got a mention) The French and even the Germans, there's plenty of action scenes all the way through, and because it lacks the brutality of films like Saving Private Ryan you should have no trouble with age restriction.

Where Eagles Dare - Another favourite, Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood are commandos who must infiltrate a German base in the Alps to rescue an allied general, not as action packed as the film above, though the final escape sequence is excellent as the commandos make a dash for their escape plane while being pursued by what seems like hundreds of German soldiers.

Zulu - and all time favourite of mine, 100 British soldiers have to defend their small base against 2000 Zulu warriors. Even at 40 years old the film is still very watchable.

Others I'd recommend, Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Windtalkers (Just so long as you focus on the action since that's the only thing being directed) and enemy at the Gate. There are more besides, but that should be enough to get you started.

Don't bother with Tears of the Sun, it's crap. Basically Bruce Willis is a SEAL who spends most of his time wandering around the jungle in an attempt to rescue people from the horrors of ethnic cleansing. There isn't even any fighting until the last 20 minutes, and it's still not enough to save the rest of the mediocre film. Avoid that one.
Mon 23/02/04 at 22:18
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
English_Bloke wrote:
> ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> You want Full Metal Jacket for a start
>
> That film was average

Stupid, stupid man.
Mon 23/02/04 at 22:18
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The big red one (suprisingly a film and not a rubber coc)

I hate you. You almost killed me.
I laughed like hell at that I almost choked.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.