GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's your recent DVD purchase?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/02/04 at 19:47
Regular
Before DVDs came along there was VHS. I never bought a single movie on VHS, my brother only bought 3 (SE Star Wars) and my younger brother about 10 (a mix of 80ies films like Planes, Trains & Automobiles and Red Dwarf).

But now we seem to buy DVDs all the time, collectively we have just under 200 DVDs now and we buy atleast 1 DVD a week as a family. (we used to rent a lot but we dont anymore and the nearest cinema is 30 minutes drive away). I guess it is good news for the television and film industries. Anyone else noticed that they're buying more DVDs than they did VHS?

My recent DVD purchase was Donnie Darko Prism Edition. At a very nice price of £4.99 to encourage those who wouldnt have bought the film otherwise, despite having no special features. It's a very interesting and unusual film nothing like I've seen before.

I also pre-ordered a DVD boxset. Most of you are too young and would probably confuse it with the awful Matt LeBanc movie that came out years ago. It's the Lost In Space Series 1 boxset. 8 DVDs, 31 episodes, a collective running time of 23 hours and 42 minutes (possible marathon attempt?) At a nice price of £39.99 "DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!"

Anyone else buy anything on DVD lately?
Page:
Fri 27/02/04 at 12:59
Regular
"[UA] HAHA poo pants"
Got finding Nemo, Bad boys 2 and Intolerable curelity today.

Want to watch bad boys 2, LOEG and Nemo.
Fri 27/02/04 at 12:59
Regular
"cachoo"
Bad Boys 2 & Finding Nemo.
Fri 27/02/04 at 15:27
Regular
Quite a few people getting Bad Boys II and Finding Nemo. I'm sure we'll get them too soon.

My brother just came back from town a minute ago with two new DVDs (not my choices but then I havent seen them yet)

Underworld, 2 disc set
The Leagure of Extraordinary Gentlemen, 2 disc set

I think I'll watch them later too early to watch them now. Also he mentioned seeing the Family Guy complete series boxset. I suppose with all the special features like deleted scenes and commentaries. We'll probably get these versions eventually. Sell the others.
Fri 27/02/04 at 15:28
"I love yo... lamp."
Underworld was apparently very disappointing. I however loved LXG and plan on getting it at some point.

DVD of the day for me was Vanilla Sky for £10. I was well chuffed.
Fri 27/02/04 at 16:57
Regular
"She's a dog!"
I bought Being John Malcovich yesterday.
And I got Red Dwarf Series 4.

Both great.
Fri 27/02/04 at 17:05
Regular
What is it with people and enjoying mediocre films such as Bad Boys 2, Underworld and TLOEG?

I'm off to order the supah-dupah collectors edition multi-featured Taxi Driver DVD Box Set from play.com now. A cracking film.
Fri 27/02/04 at 17:05
Regular
For just £25.99 actually.
Fri 27/02/04 at 19:40
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:
> What is it with people and enjoying mediocre films such as Bad Boys 2,
> Underworld and TLOEG?

If they enjoy them then is there really a problem?

You're making yourself sound like a real self-righteous coc recently Maverick.
Fri 27/02/04 at 19:47
Regular
He turned himself into a "pretend" critic a while back. Although I don't condone films like Bad Boys 2 and other guff like that at the end of the day if someone wants to buy it they will usually go ahead and get it.

How long is it you have been groping around Taxi Driver for now? Hell, I saw that film when I was about 10 years old and although its a great film its the only one you mention.
Sat 28/02/04 at 10:38
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> He turned himself into a "pretend" critic a while back.
> Although I don't condone films like Bad Boys 2 and other guff like
> that at the end of the day if someone wants to buy it they will
> usually go ahead and get it.

Ironically Mv admits earlier to buying the Star Wars Ep 1 + 2 box set, a travesty of film making if ever there was one. It wouldn be okay, if it wasn't for Mav's criticism of others.

Me? I'd say the same as Alastair, people will buy what they like and that's really the best way.

The popularity of DVD seems to have spawned numerous wannabe critics of films in general - to me, just because you fill your collection with supposed "classics" makes you no more qualified to comment on the state of films than someone who buys a host of films like Bad Boy 2 etc. If anything, the people buying films because they like them - not just because they follow the classic herd mentality of "so and so says this is class hence I must have it" - are the real film fans.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.