GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Gamecube owners rant"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/02/04 at 23:52
Regular
Er some of you may remember me from when the nintendo forums were young and i was a persistent crusader in the cause of the N64, i must confess i am more than a little disappointed with some of the flagship offerings of the gamecube. Whilst i appreciate that other games consoles eg the PS2 already have extremely low levels of actual quality established games, i am pretty disappointed in general with this generation of consoles.
When the N64 was out there wasn't huge amounts of games, but what was there was pure quality:

Goldeneye, perfect dark, Mario kart, mario, Zelda, zelda 2, Smash brothers, snowboard kids, Banjo kazooie, f-zero x, diddy kong, to name a few of the best, even the games like Donkey Kong which didn't quite live up to expectations were still excellent games. The games had pretty much a perfect balance between skill and playability combined with top console graphics for the time.
Where did it all go wrong in the transition to the gamecube, When i bought any of those previous titles i felt like i got full value for my my money and don't regret buying any of them. However out of the Games i've bought on the gamecube and i have pretty much all the big titles, only timesplitters 2 has felt anywhere near value for money.

Mario Sunshine: was a huge step back from 64, everything is just far more simple, they have just scaled everything up and added some pretty colours yet preetty much neglected anything even resembling a challenge in favour of some stupid backpacks and cleaning up some paint, such a disappointment.

Mario Kart: This has had the biggest fall from grace ever out of anygame i have ever played, We play it a lot but only in 4 player were it is fun only in the sense of competition and the general banter in the room rather than the actual gameplay. Again everything is scaled up and simplified, It is made for a retard to pick up a controller and be able to win in multiplayer, gone are the days when skill wins the race. Who remembers when the talented players hardly ever fell off? used the items in just the right places, where the ones who could do the jump on the beach pretty much every time. Now it: "ooh look a ridiculous item ill jump from half a lap behind having fallen in the water 19 times to win the race" bloody disappointing.

Smash Brothers: Don't even get me started on smash brothers, the game which symbolised playability, frantic pace and quality game play, has yet again been butchered, we are talking a game which i probably a week's multiplayer play time on at least. And it has been massacred what have you done to it, i ask you nintendo. What did it do to deserve to be massacred in to a gay pokemon fest with stupid moving platforms and over exaggerated items and stupid stages, which are often so large of changing so quickly that it just ruins the game.

Zelda: Cell-shading and over simplifying, are nintendo's vices here, again it is far simpler than the original, the graphics look like a two year olds picture book, the storyline sucks and it leaves you cring thinking that this is the successor to ocarina of time (the second best game ever given to man).

F-zero x- I have not bought this yet, i am to afraid to buy it, after the massacring of the previous titles this is the one ray of hope left in this bleak nintendo world. With out hope, there is nothing.

Nintendo go back to the good old days, stop trying to be cool with your cell shading and poke-fests. Give us quality and challenging workmanship, I don't particularly care if the graphics are only n64 standard, i want games that i can actually get into and enjoy, rather than an oversimplified colourful mess.
Fri 26/03/04 at 11:13
Regular
i considered the experienced issue, but its clearly not the case.I couldn't have got anymore experienced at goldeneyeif i tried, yet when perfect dark was released it was still challenging.

Mario kart is the perfect example of dumbing down, in 64 you could beat some one by half a lap, as the game was ruthless, you fell off you get punished and more stuff made you spin out, Now in DD is near impossible to fall of the track and everyone finishes together with a pretty much random finishing order.

Even games like TS2 felt a little bt short on the bad guys front, You'd have maybe 20 bad guys to kill a level and if you strafe a bit you should get away with it, as opposed to being swamped in Goldeneye or perfect dark by hordes of guards all using guns, I want to kill people who have guns in my computer games, at worst zombies with projectiles, not some lumbering gollum or turok style dinosaur which has to lumber up and bite you while you pummel him with shots while running back.

Mario sunshine- has been kiddied up, just look at 64, whilst it was fairly simple, you could die with relative ease, a wrong jump and you disapeared into the mist and the enemies where more aggressive, everything has been put in to larger proportions to make it look pretty but scale down the work and challenge.
Thu 25/03/04 at 22:19
Regular
Yeah.

Well, Nintendo's atleast.

From what I've heard, Skies of Arcadia is a HUGE game and Timesplitters 2 gave plenty of challenge on the hard difficulty setting.
With multiplayer games, though, your friends are the challenge so that's alright.

I think the other reason why games aren't impressing you and that you're finding them too easy is that you're too experienced.
You'll have to read my Prime topic. ;-)
Thu 25/03/04 at 22:12
Regular
but are we agreed that the difficulty of the games/challenge has decreased somewhat?
Mon 22/03/04 at 22:19
Regular
I agree with you in SOME ways but:

Ashley wrote:

> Smash Brothers: Don't even get me started on smash brothers, the game
> which symbolised playability, frantic pace and quality game play, has
> yet again been butchered, we are talking a game which i probably a
> week's multiplayer play time on at least. And it has been massacred
> what have you done to it, i ask you nintendo. What did it do to
> deserve to be massacred in to a gay pokemon fest with stupid moving
> platforms and over exaggerated items and stupid stages, which are
> often so large of changing so quickly that it just ruins the game.

Oh come on! This is what Smash Brothers was all about!
All Melee was do what on the Gamecube what the N64 couldn't.
The levels, characters, items and general gameplay had new life breathed in at a pace that the 64bit machnie couldn't keep up with.

I can barely play the original now I'm used to Melée.

The only reason I didn't get as much enjoyment out of it is because the same game is NEVER as much fun the second time round.
And when I say AS MUCH enjoyment, I mean regular play over a period of two years while Melée sort of petered out after just 6 months.
It's like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

> Zelda: Cell-shading and over simplifying, are nintendo's vices here,
> again it is far simpler than the original, the graphics look like a
> two year olds picture book, the storyline sucks and it leaves you
> cring thinking that this is the successor to ocarina of time (the
> second best game ever given to man).

Zelda disappointed me, but NOT because of the Cel Shading.
You're slating it for the wrong reasons. :-)

And you seem to hate Pokémon a bit.
Yeah, the franchising of it got on everyone's nerves, but the RPG Gameboy games that sparked it all are some of the greatest games ever made.
Besides, other than in Melée, the Pokémon are yet to make it to the Cube...
Mon 22/03/04 at 12:14
Regular
mario kart has grown on me slightly but i still feel its a bit unchallenging, and has been reduced to the lowest common denominator so beginners can win easily.

In fairness Metroid is a good title and has been well bit with a lot of time and effort, but it is a bit repetitive in a half life sort of way, but probably worth my money.
Mon 09/02/04 at 20:53
Regular
Haven't watched a *proper* Disney film since I was a kid. They're good for children, and even now some retain some classic jokes, but the only one in my current collection is Toy Story. Which is made by Disney Pixer and therefore Disney. So meh.

As for Shrek... well, I thought it was quite enjoyable, but it didn't quite have the kick or punchy humour to it to make it that good. A little too much of a parody for my liking, and a bit boring second time around. I'm selling it on DVD, if anyone's interested. If not, it'll just go up on eBay I s'pose...
Mon 09/02/04 at 19:27
Regular
Did I say Disney Pixar or just Disney?
Mon 09/02/04 at 18:57
Regular
Shrek is the daddy
Mon 09/02/04 at 18:55
Regular
Nothing wrong with a Disney film now and then. I own Toy Story and that's a fun and humourous film. They are, however, all really rather similar.
Mon 09/02/04 at 18:02
Regular
Thought you would be one for Disney humour.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.