GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SUPERBOWL XXXVIII"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 01/02/04 at 19:25
Regular
"The Red Shift"
well, well, well. american footballs biggest match of the season is upon us.

carolina panthers vs. new england patriots

unfortunately, i dont think it will be the best ever. both teams are quite defensive, but its got them this far. the 2 quaterbacks have to be watched out for (both likely MVPs- most valuable player). delhomme(panthers) is quite a few peoples favorite. also this year, running backs have been more effective than wide receivers, so we can see some big runs and thumping hits. it lasts about 4 hours (hour long half time with britany spears) so its an all nighter.

if you havent ever watched it before, i suggest you watch the first quarter to get a feel of it. you might hate it because its quite slow, but i think its quite a spectacle.

SKY SPORTS 1 -10pm (11pm kick off) to about 2ish am
not great to go into work after, but still.

i reckon itll be the patriots (favorites) by 10.
Tue 17/02/04 at 10:23
Regular
"I ush!"
Wow, and I thought I was the only fan around here : )
Sun 08/02/04 at 17:40
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
AfroJoe wrote:
> Der Nazi wrote:
> That's what I really hate about American football, this rule that
> you
> can run into anybody whether they've got the ball or not. That's
> mental, it's just asking for trouble.
>
> Really, no it isn't. It's tactical. If you'd ever watched a match you
> would have picked up on the fact that they all have markers, specific
> people they have to hit/guard, etc. Yet you spout all these obviously
> crud points without even knowing a damn thing about the sport.
>
>
> We'll give you some helmets so you don't hurt yourselves and we'll
> even throw a ball in to confuse people and make them think it's a
> sport they're watching.
>
> Haha. They hurt themselves a lot more than rugby players, you should
> know. The padding is there for a reason, and as someone earlier
> suggested, if there wasn't padding, careers would probably only last
> a few matches. Unlike rugby, the fat guys are fast, and they don't
> need poncey rules that tell them how to tackle properly.
>
> Do some research - watch a match, or a bit of one. Or something.
>
> Either that, or stop spouting crap.
>
> :-)

Not my opinion, but I did agree with a few of the points. :^P
Sun 08/02/04 at 15:42
Regular
i don't particularly like ice hockey but i can see the attraction to it for some people, as it requires a high skill level yet a frantic pace. Can't for the life on me understand american footy, which must be almost as boring to play as it is to watch.
Sun 08/02/04 at 13:40
Regular
"The Red Shift"
ice hockey is rubbish in my opinion. just rubbish.
Sat 07/02/04 at 14:49
Regular
The superbowl was possibly the most boring sporting event i have ever seen, including the disabled tiddlywinks qualifying rounds. I have seen a fair bit of this "sport" and i object to the waste of perfectly good space of channel five's late night viewing resources! lol

With out a doubt this is the planets most boring sport. At least altough not a particularly big fan, BAsketball has a good pace to it and a good atmosphere, same goes for Ice Hockey. But what were they thinking when they created this godforsaken pile of freshly laid crap.

The first 2 quarters took just under 2 hours, and quarters are only 15 minutes long! That is 1.5 hours of time wasted, where they just stand around doing absolutely nothing. That is a whole Soccer match! In the alleged "action", it consists of one pass a pretty crap bundle and then stopping play for 20 minutes. This is quite frankly ridiculous.

Although i appreciate, although the last quarter was fairly tense, this was a pretty poor showing even by AF stantards, I have seen previous super bowls and been made to endure some late night American football by a friend, it is invariably boring, and the good runs, kicks and passes are in total far less than 5-10 minutes of average rugby.

The rules and startegies are ridiculously complicated and invariably lead to nothing apart from a hyperactive commentator blowing his load over an action replay of a player carrying the ball a third of a metre.

This is the poorest excuse for a sport ever, and for a contact sport, runs at a far slower pace than cricket.

in a word: crap
Fri 06/02/04 at 20:49
Regular
"The Red Shift"
haven't been around since this post so i thought i'd put in a few points:

wookie said he was a fan of tampa bay. i have a yank friend who's the same. i rubbed it in his face that they failed to make the play offs, having won it last year.

i have another yank friend who's a patriots fan. (needless to say he was delighted) predictable first half. starts off terribly as neither side want to give it away, but then towards the end it showed promise. second half was really good. 4 or 5 good drives, big throws and poor coverage.

The delhomme vs. brady match didnt finish until the end, but brady just won it. in my view he's so much more consistent and i think people were blown away with the hype that delhomme came from a german team late in his career (quite random). delhomme being sacked was bizarre. his players (esp. guards) failed to stop 4 blitzs. he did a good job at throwing into touch in these cases, but his attempt/success rate overall was awful.

as for you noobs to the sport who don't know the rules. you'll learn them really quickly. offside, facemask, why the teams have a squad of about 50, etc.

tis true about mcnabb. eagles weren't going to win it, but it was over when their best player was injured. i think one or two years ago he was undoubtably the best QB (with rich gannon getting past 30). he would have been first choice in a fantasy team anytime. now i think that there are others who are better suited to their teams way of play. the backs and receivers don't help him either.

as for madden, its a brilliant game. well worth a long rent or you can buy madden 2004 if you want to jump right in to the brilliance. i like to play as san francisco, or anyone with good wide receivers. i throw it alot. to put a statement towards aj's comment about running backs: yeah, they're more effective at gaining "hard yards" and possibly more, but where's the fun in seeing your players get mashed. you cant control whether your players make a screen or not which would be hard to do, but would help. it's raw emotions on show when im playing my mate. it's fourth quarter and ive chucked up a 50 yard pass to the end zone... it's easy to start with a team with good players but no running backs and then sign some in a season or so time.
Fri 06/02/04 at 17:43
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Der Nazi wrote:
> That's what I really hate about American football, this rule that you
> can run into anybody whether they've got the ball or not. That's
> mental, it's just asking for trouble.

Really, no it isn't. It's tactical. If you'd ever watched a match you would have picked up on the fact that they all have markers, specific people they have to hit/guard, etc. Yet you spout all these obviously crud points without even knowing a damn thing about the sport.

> We'll give you some helmets so you don't hurt yourselves and we'll
> even throw a ball in to confuse people and make them think it's a
> sport they're watching.

Haha. They hurt themselves a lot more than rugby players, you should know. The padding is there for a reason, and as someone earlier suggested, if there wasn't padding, careers would probably only last a few matches. Unlike rugby, the fat guys are fast, and they don't need poncey rules that tell them how to tackle properly.

Do some research - watch a match, or a bit of one. Or something.

Either that, or stop spouting crap.

:-)
Fri 06/02/04 at 16:06
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Taken from BBC Sport;

Finally, Mark in Hong Kong says: Hi Robbo, what a game at the Super Bowl - so much more exciting than the football you limeys play.

Even half-time is exciting with great stars - the FA Cup thing must be a drag, man, after watching our Super Bowl? Away to go the Patriots!

Well this happens every year - someone tells me what a really exciting game I've missed because I think it takes too long, features too many people wearing too much kit who you can't identify with and too many blokes just running into each other.

That's what I really hate about American football, this rule that you can run into anybody whether they've got the ball or not. That's mental, it's just asking for trouble.

It's like saying to your team: Right lads, if you wanna have a scrap, have it with that lot.

We'll give you some helmets so you don't hurt yourselves and we'll even throw a ball in to confuse people and make them think it's a sport they're watching.

It's just a nonsense.

:D
Fri 06/02/04 at 00:38
"slightlyshortertagl"
I played American Football at school for a bit as part of PE...

It became a joke, but did seem fun...

We even had some tonk black dude come who played in the NFL over to give us throwing training... hah

From what I've played;
It's fun to play, but too stop-start.
I'm assuming it would be crappy to watch.

I'm no expert, though :-D
Thu 05/02/04 at 14:52
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
lalakersrule wrote:
> So stupid calls don't ruin what could be a good game and the ref has
> to be sure on the call so needs to view the action from a multitude
> of camera angles

Read an article explaining the differences between a crime control approach to law breakers versus a due process one that explained it entirely by comparing the letter-of-the-law American football approach versus football's concern of keeping the game flowing.

Irrelevant, yes.

However, somehow ironic also that football sees it’s self as the let-things-flow sport. How long after an incident will the tabloids still be talking about it? Will Arsenal fans be forever hearing about the little pushing incident with Van Nist despite the fact this is a sport for grown ups?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.