GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The police"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 23/01/04 at 17:21
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
This post will be a list of questions with a few things stuck on here and there with double-sided sticky tape to bulk it out a bit.

So it’s a nice simple thread really. The police, what are your views on them, what do you all perceive the job of a police officer to encompass? What experiences and or dealings have you had with them and how have they left you feeling? But I would also like to know what your perceptions are on the different reactions the police receive from the public and any reasons for them.

I am very young in my service and have really only had a minuet taster of all things baton and cuff orientated. Before joining, during the whole application and indeed parts of the actual training I was as ignorant and blind to what the job really is, like most of the general public. I thought the job of a policeman was to be out there protecting the public and catching the bad guys. Having been in for half a year now, I can tell you this is our job, but only a part of it.

I can’t talk for every force, because each is different in the way that they operate due to the fact that they each have their own issues to tackle, but our force as a very proactive force. Of course we still have to be reactive, reacting to whatever the baddies get up to each day, but we also operate in a highly visible manner. Whenever we can we are out patrolling the streets in our incredibly stylish hi-vis jackets, (we’re not all fat by the way, it’s body amour under there). This part of policing I enjoy, I walk the city centre talking to the public, which can be very satisfying as some of the public will talk to you and tell you how nice it is to see the police out and about. I’m a friendly policeman, I will give you directions if you ask me nicely, I will even have my picture taken with you and talk about your cat if you so wish, it’s called building community relations.

However there are of course certain members of the public that no matter how polite you are to them, and despite the fact that you’re trying to help them will treat you like crap. I’m just wondering what mindset it is that causes this level of hatred and animosity towards the police? It’s not all down to previous dealings; some of this is just in-built for seemingly no reason.

Some guy parking in a disabled bay because he doesn’t want to pay for parking or walk from the car park. Politely pointing the offence out to him and telling him that he could be liable for a £30 ticket if he leaves his car there but that I wouldn’t give him one if he would move it, only to be greeted by, “oh for Gods sake, don’t you have anything better to do?”

Another time with the same situation the lady simply said it was because she had, had an operation on her leg so can’t walk far and she just needed to return an ironing board to a shop. She apologised and even said she would accept a ticket. A reasonable person giving me a reasonable reason, so I even offered to carry the item for her.

What causes the different levels of respect shown towards the uniform?

It just amazes me sometimes. One drunk trying to climb into his own shoe in a shop doorway will show you nothing but respect when you enquire about his welfare, another will tell you to “fark orf!” saying, “do you know who my dad is?” No sir, I don’t, have you tried asking your mother?

I’m rambling a little now, so I will stop and let you get on with answering my questions as best as you can.

“I pay your wages!”

Really sir, can I have a raise then please.
Sat 31/01/04 at 19:19
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Im in to all police stuff on tv..IE The Bill, Frost, Midsummer Murders, Dont now how much of the stuff that is shown in prgrammes reflects real police life though. Do you think programmes over do things or underdo things or do they hit the nail on the head.
Sat 31/01/04 at 19:12
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
You can use “reasonable force” to protect yourself. It is common law.

You can use this, “reasonable force”, to protect yourself, your family and in some cases friends and your property. It is up to the court to decide what is reasonable though.

Example. I arrested a guy the other day who was being verbally abusive, pulling his arm away and using what is described as aggressive body language when I told him he was under arrest.

The guy was 6’3” and quite a big build. I put his arm up his back until my colleague could control his other arm and then I cuffed him. Reasonable? Yes, I think so. Had I have drawn my baton and cracked him in the nuts so I could cuff him would that have been reasonable in these circumstances? No, I don’t think so.
Sat 31/01/04 at 19:06
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
EB,

Another thing is a few years ago our house got broke into and loads of stuff was taken. Anyway we spoke to a cop about what happened if we were in and the person broke in then, and say if he didnt realise and when he see he tried to attack us in anyway. The cop said just try make them follow you up stairs and if he does push him down and make out he fell. but i have heard 1. you cant touch this person, well you can but it wont go in your favour. and 2. if they fell and hurt themselves they can claim money from you.

i like police stuff although some coppers are a bit poop. my mum always calls me DCI as i always try to solve things wether its tv stuff or real life.
Sat 31/01/04 at 18:56
Yeah, but that's what really happens. You say the operator gives priority to those higher up on the grading scale - but could you explain to me why, at 11PM on the busiest street, it takes half an hour for a car to arrive after a group fight has occured. The local polics station was only ten minutes walk away, so why the delay? All officers were in the toilet; enjoying TV? There's no excuse for that.
Sat 31/01/04 at 18:55
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
There was a bloke that lived down the same street as me. Not only was he known for stealing, drug dealing and a number of other stuff.but He goes round thinking he can get away with anyting!Not this time though... Next door to me lived a copper

The bloke stole a really nice sports car and he hid it in one of the garages round the bak of the house. The only thing is he stored it in the wrong garage that just happened to be the coppers.

He was a good cop though, he use to help in everyway he could but then he moved out of the town.
Sat 31/01/04 at 18:53
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Things like knife attacks and fights can be over in seconds, so you can't really blame the Police if there's nothing they can do on those occassions.

Here's a sum that proves it:

Harry Potter + Police = see the difference, cheeseface?
Sat 31/01/04 at 18:52
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
The truth is that you wont understand how it works unless you do it yourself.

I could try and describe the way a shift works to you, but I’m sure you would just make another sarcastic comment, so I can’t be assed.
Sat 31/01/04 at 18:49
English_Bloke wrote:

> The way it works is, you dial 999, you get an operator who will take
> as many details as they can. That operator will then give the
> incident a grading ranging from A, (emergencies), B+,
> (semi-emergency), down to C, (needs doing but not urgent).

Soooo, on the basis of police activity in my home city for the past couple of years:

C - leaving kids break windows in homes
- house robbery
- group pub fights involving several drunkards kicking the s**t out of each other
- Knife attacks
- fights started trhough racism, ending in leaving two guys bleeding to death

B - cracking down on drug dealers
A - telling me the time in the city centre
- walking around
- chatting with shoppers during the Christmas holidays
Sat 31/01/04 at 18:44
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
@ng3l wrote:
> This gives us alot of paperwork to do which we could do with out.

That is a disgrace.
Sat 31/01/04 at 18:40
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
English_Bloke wrote:

> That made my blood boil. Probably the most ignorant post I've seen
> from you, you surprised me.

Sorry hun, but that the way it is here, maybe not every cop is this way but here a majority of them are.

> They actually said that to you?

There actual words were,
You do realise if this goes to court they get you in that court room and rip you apart, you have to be very strong to put up with it. Thats if it gets to court. This gives us alot of paperwork to do which we could do with out.

Errr, cop more like a clown!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.