GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I hate the main reason why we have out games later than any other country in Britain!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/03/01 at 00:59
Regular
The main reason is cos they decide to stick other languages in our games and sell them as European versions.

The US and Canada have all their games in just English even though there are a lot of Mexicans in the south who speak Spanish and in Canada they mostly speak French!

So why don't we in the UK have just Enlgish version games?

The reason is cos companies decide to kill 2 birds with one stone....they make the games cheaply in Europe and stick loads of languages in the game making us have to wait another few months til launch.

I hate when they do that!
Sun 18/03/01 at 00:59
Regular
The main reason is cos they decide to stick other languages in our games and sell them as European versions.

The US and Canada have all their games in just English even though there are a lot of Mexicans in the south who speak Spanish and in Canada they mostly speak French!

So why don't we in the UK have just Enlgish version games?

The reason is cos companies decide to kill 2 birds with one stone....they make the games cheaply in Europe and stick loads of languages in the game making us have to wait another few months til launch.

I hate when they do that!
Sun 18/03/01 at 01:09
Regular
well the population of north america is huge. i aint quite sure but it is over 300 million right? then look at the UK we only gots like 50 million. and most of us could be classed as different languages anyway, scousers geordies etc. infacts thats a problem they had with Hey you pikachu! not being able to understand all the different accents. well anyway, UK small market, USA big market.
Sun 18/03/01 at 09:29
yeh i suppose so but we still want the games .
Sun 18/03/01 at 09:41
Regular
ortega wrote:
> well the population of north america is huge. i aint quite sure but
> it is over 300 million right? then look at the UK we only gots
> like 50 million. and most of us could be classed as different
> languages anyway, scousers geordies etc. infacts thats a problem
> they had with Hey you pikachu! not being able to understand all the
> different accents. well anyway, UK small market, USA big market.

Games aren't ever matched to the accents and the way people talk! The games we get have all the Eurpopean languages on them and that's what causes the major delays.

Of course there are other reasons as well but the translation from the already English version (which is usually released in USA a long time before UK) into French, German, Italian and Spanish (and sometimes others too) takes a long time and I expect can cost a bit more than the American disks/carts
Sun 18/03/01 at 12:13
"Uzi Lover"
I suppose the long wait for games in this country make the anticipation more higher and so when the game finnaly arrives we are more disapointed!

But I suppose the long wait also keeps us into games as we look forward to what is coming up!
Sun 18/03/01 at 13:33
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
and of course we use PAL TV systems.... better quality pictures but slower refresh rates and more lines on the screen... which means they have to convert games....

Mind u, I'd rather have PAL to NTSC (aka Never the same colour!)

SonicRav
Sun 18/03/01 at 13:43
Regular
Is there any reason, apart from the fact that every American would have to buy a new tv, that we can't have a worldwide PAL thing... so all tv's were PAL?
Sun 18/03/01 at 13:47
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
good point Grix :)
Sun 18/03/01 at 14:52
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Is there any reason, apart from the fact that every American would
> have to buy a new tv, that we can't have a worldwide PAL thing... so
> all tv's were PAL?

You'd've thought that the Japanese and Americans would have switched to Pal by now!

Pal TV's are much better than NTSC!
Sun 18/03/01 at 18:53
Regular
What I really hate is how a game made in the UK by British programmers and a British company gets it's games published by an American company meaning the US get a game WE made before WE get it.

A prime example: Rareware.

Games made in England but the US get them first.
It's really not fair!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.