GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"YH QotD."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/12/03 at 08:55
Regular
If there was this machine, that when you walked into it, it would copy you in every way (physical appearance, memories, emotions etc), but then deleted the "you" that walked into the machine, and let the copy out, would you walk in?

If you wouldn't, why not?
Thu 11/12/03 at 10:42
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> monkey_man wrote:
> I'd do it, but then I'd run off with my perfect other-self and have
> all sorts of whimsical japes.
>
> Not manlove I hope ;)

No, I mean, like, he can go to lectures instead of me and stuff, or I can rob a bank and he could provide me with an alibi.
Thu 11/12/03 at 10:40
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
monkey_man wrote:
> I'd do it, but then I'd run off with my perfect other-self and have
> all sorts of whimsical japes.

Not manlove I hope ;)
Thu 11/12/03 at 10:38
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Alternatively, I'd kill "myself" and leave my copy with the bill for, what I assume, is an expensive procedure.
Thu 11/12/03 at 10:37
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I'd do it, but then I'd run off with my perfect other-self and have all sorts of whimsical japes. It would be like a Steve Guttenberg movie where he plays his own twin.
Thu 11/12/03 at 10:35
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Timmargh wrote:
> *baboom tsch* <- or however it's written

I always feel that "rrrr-rimshot!" is the best description ;)
Thu 11/12/03 at 10:26
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Your Honour wrote:
> ... would you walk in?

No.

> If you wouldn't, why not?

I can't walk!

*baboom tsch* <- or however it's written
Thu 11/12/03 at 10:11
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
For a really good short story about matter transference (interdimensional) check out Stephen Kings "The Jaunt", in his collection of short stories "Skeleton Crew"

Anyway, the "soul" and in particular what happens when you die. Ahhhh, the great question asked through the ages.

I personally believe in a simple return to the underlying fabric of the universe. If you think of someone after they die, that’s simply your memories of them, and its unrelated to their “soul”. If you think of someone who is living, are they affected?

Our atoms are simply a loan, and we have to make the most of the time we are lent them. I’d like to think that in some way we live on after death, but at my current time, cannot believe that we do, either in a sense where we still “think” in a similar way to now, or our consciousness is transformed into something indefinable.

The body is basically a life support for what makes us "us". I like to think of the soul as a constantly changing electrical wave, peaking and troughing as experience and knowledge affects us. Once the body is gone, the wave cannot continue. We will simply cease to exist.

I’m gonna be so screwed if I turn up at the pearly gates, “Right, what was that you were saying Pandaemonium?” “ahhhhhhhhh.……….”
Thu 11/12/03 at 09:54
Regular
So it seems that people think there is something more to them than memories and appearance, that we do have a "soul" which makes us what we are.

So, it begs the next question, what happens to this "soul" when we die?

I' not religious, but I thik that somehow our soul carries on existing, and every time someone remembers a happy memory of us from when we were alive, this soul recieves some kind of positive thing.

Thus, if people have affected a number of people in a positive way, then they will somehow be rewarded by positive "vibes" when they die. They didn't have to be a religious person. For example, I have positive memories of my uncle, and I'd like to think that everytime I think of something good about him, he "feels" it in someway.

Or maybe I'm just talking complete crock...
Thu 11/12/03 at 09:43
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I wouldn't, for most of the reasons Pandemonium mentioned.

Supposing for a moment that my real name were in fact VenomByte, I wouldn't care greatly if VenomByte existed or not. I care that my consciousness exists. A cloned consciousness is not mine, whether it thinks it is or not. My consciousness is defined by it's self-awareness. I can't ever be self-aware of anything other than the body I exist in.

If I'm dead, I couldn't give a monkeys about whether people think I'm still around or not.

If science fiction became a reality, and particle-based teleporters were ever invented, I would never use one. No matter what luxuries were on the other side.
Thu 11/12/03 at 09:17
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Your Honour wrote:
> If there was this machine, that when you walked into it, it would copy
> you in every way (physical appearance, memories, emotions etc), but
> then deleted the "you" that walked into the machine, and
> let the copy out, would you walk in?
>
> If you wouldn't, why not?

Getting into SF territory here.

If a machine that copies you in every way imaginable, with no flaws (As IB says) but deletes the original "you", then the copy is not "you" at all. Just a *perfect* imitation. The original consciousness is deleted, and although the copy will *think* they are the original they are not.

You have basically killed yourself.

But then again, if consciousness is the sum of experience and knowledge, then what is the difference?

This is why although I am not religious, I believe in the “soul” for want of a better word.

So, If a machine can: -

1) Copy the original atoms of the source
2) Solve the quantum physics problem that states that you cannot say for definite the position and velocity of any single particle (there is a name for this law, but it escapes me, aha, found it “Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle”)
3) Get them spinning in the exact same way as the source.
4) Destroy the original

How does science go about transferring the electrical impulses of the source? A copy is a copy, and there is no way of saying for definite whether the original “soul” can be transferred.

Phew. That’s a bit heavy for a Thursday morning full of cold……………………….

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.