GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"YH QotD."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/12/03 at 08:55
Regular
If there was this machine, that when you walked into it, it would copy you in every way (physical appearance, memories, emotions etc), but then deleted the "you" that walked into the machine, and let the copy out, would you walk in?

If you wouldn't, why not?
Thu 11/12/03 at 17:07
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I can't seem to get my head around the fact that my consciousness wouldn't be there any more. I see this more like cloning. Sure, it looks like and to an extent, it would be me but my consciousness wouldn't be there.

I just can't get my head around it. Confusing.
Thu 11/12/03 at 16:56
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> The only thing that makes it any difference is the prior knowledge
> that your previous body would be destroyed.

Good point....
Thu 11/12/03 at 16:52
Regular
"SOUP!"
I dont trust science, so no.
Thu 11/12/03 at 16:44
"Darkness, always"
Put it this way, suppose someone told you the machine simply transported you from one place to another (conveniently from the area you are destroyed to that where you are replicated) and put forward a convincing argument as to how it worked. So you go through. And come out the other side.

Are you you? To you you are you, to everyone else you are still you, even though the original you was destroyed, the replical you is still very much you becaue it IS you in every way.

The only thing that makes it any difference is the prior knowledge that your previous body would be destroyed.
Thu 11/12/03 at 15:58
Regular
"That's right!"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> No, look at it this way. You're replicated and deleted in the same
> instant, and so, all you will ever actually feel is being transported
> from your entry point to wherever you are replicated.

-------

No it's not. You're being replicated, but you're not controlling that body. YOU are dead. Deleted. Gone. The copy is exactly that, a copy. Like I said before, if you weren't deleted, you wouldn't be controlling both bodies would you?

------

> The new consciousness is identical to yours, the memories identical.
> It is still you, even though you are dead.

------

To everyone else it's you. But it's not you, you're dead. Simple as that.
Thu 11/12/03 at 15:38
"Darkness, always"
I once removed a mole on my belly by tying string around it to cut off the blood supply.

Worked perfectly.
Thu 11/12/03 at 15:28
Regular
"gsybe you!"
But then it depends on what you feel constitutes 'you'..

Memores/emotion etc, but what about the little mole on your right little toe? One could say that is quintessentially and forever will be 'you', even though it could be replicated...
Thu 11/12/03 at 15:26
"Darkness, always"
No, look at it this way. You're replicated and deleted in the same instant, and so, all you will ever actually feel is being transported from your entry point to wherever you are replicated.

The new consciousness is identical to yours, the memories identical. It is still you, even though you are dead.
Thu 11/12/03 at 15:07
Regular
"That's right!"
Insane Bartender wrote:
I don't see the problem.

-------

But it wouldn't be YOU. Example - let's say it DIDN'T delete the original - you. Would you be in control of both bodies? No, of course not, you'd be in control of the one you're in now. The other may look, sound and act like you, but you're not controlling it - it's not you.
Thu 11/12/03 at 15:06
Regular
"Selected"
you could use you as one of those giant rollers to keep grass flat on golf courses

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.