GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should smoking be banned?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/12/03 at 18:10
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Well, it’s being talked about at the moment. My own personal views on the subject, as a non-smoker, are that it should not be.

Although I don’t smoke myself, who is it for me or anyone else for that matter to tell you that you can’t? On the practical side of things smoking injects a rather large sum of money into the country. Granted it will take quite a bit out, but I’d wager it’s not as much as it puts in.

There are some aspects of smoking that I don’t enjoy, the main one being the smokers that smoke in the designated non-smoking areas or intentionally blow their smoke into peoples faces, but this is fairly rare from my experiences.

Smoking is a habit, something that many smokers enjoy and do not want to give up. So why should they have to? Because it is bad for them?

They know the possible medical implications and as adults they should be able to make their own decision. Yes the nicotine in the cigarettes make it addictive, but there are plenty of other, possibly more dangerous drugs that are available and not being considered to be banned.

Alcohol for instance. I have never met a smoker that becomes more aggressive after a cigarette. Yet alcohol, which plays a part in rather a large amount of crime, is considered to be more acceptable.

Caffeine. I don’t know if any of you know anything about true caffeine addicts, but it is truly one of the worst and most health threatening addictions you can have. Heart problems, severe shaking and aggression all play a part.

I could go on, but can’t see the point. What are all your views on this?
Sun 04/01/04 at 03:37
Regular
"Monochromatic"
how is it any different to taking illegal drugs.BAN IT
Fri 19/12/03 at 20:22
Regular
I think that smoking is a pretty foul habit, with me being exposed to it from my mums' Lambert and Butler, 24-7, yet I think that it should not be banned.

Many 'teens' think that smoking is 'cool' and will get them some Kudos with the street wisers, people under the current age limit smoke for its' 'cool' status. If the government imposed a ban, then it would seem even 'cooler' to smoke and more people would thus do it.

I don't see why smoking is hailed as 'cool'. Presumably swishing air in and out of your' lungs is 'cooler' if it is niccotine infested, it gives me the impression of a 'blow-hard' not some street wise person.

To ban it would mean that niccotine will become like heroine and cocaine, it will spiral into a seedy business where it will still be obtainable from shady looking 'dealers'. Thus, all of those who currently smoke will be forced to obtain it illegally and perhaps mixed with other drugs. (Like heroine is)
Tue 16/12/03 at 03:05
Regular
My sister's dodgy boyfriend was here today. I wandered into my room and could smell his cigarette smoke. In my room.
The tart.

Oh well, when he gets her pregnant they can move into a council flat and I'll never have to smell him again ¦^D
Mon 15/12/03 at 19:46
Regular
you should of told them they were filthy savages and explained that their pungent stench sickened you to the core.
Mon 15/12/03 at 18:06
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Back to the subject at hand...
>
> There were two people smoking in our house today, and there was so
> much smoke that my nose was actually burning from breathing it. I
> had to go upstairs and get away from it.

Just a question... did you ask them to put their cigarettes out because it was bothering you? Because I'm sure that if they thought it was bothering you in your own home, they would put it out, and apologise at that. Granted, it's not good form to be smoking out of turn in someone's elses house, but you'll be surprised at how co-operative these 'smokers' will be if you ask them nicely. Because they're normal human beings like you and I after all.
Mon 15/12/03 at 16:59
Regular
I once tried to smoke a full pack one after another in an effort to make myself ill off them, and hence be put off them.

I felt ill alright, and was put off them for about a week.

mingingest feeling ever
Mon 15/12/03 at 15:44
Regular
"Laughingstock"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> So my question is... if you dislike it after one, WHY force yourself
> to keep trying it until you like it or - at best - can tolerate it?
> You can't be addicted after just one ciggy.

I'm trying to think why I started smoking and continued to smoke even though they made me sick on countless occasions...

I think it was down to the packets and the smell of an unsmoked cigarette. I remember me and brother on holiday collecting pristine empty packets and being enchanted by their 'adult mystique'. I was very young at the time, but that stuck with me, and when I hit 14/15 and looked old enough to buy them, I did.

A decade or so later I've just quit, mainly because my lungs feel like the inside of a cement mixer, and over the past week or so it has been damn hard, more because of ritual than nicotene addiction.
Mon 15/12/03 at 15:39
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> wtf is this supposed to represent?
>
> http://www.nicorette.com.au/images/animbox_3a.gif

I was just about to mention that.

Looks like "cigarettes are for winkers" ... or something... ;-)
Mon 15/12/03 at 15:24
Regular
Pandaemonium wrote:

> definately, but it would encourage me to stop if I knew I was going
> to be ridiculed every time I took a blast off it ;)

no, it'd just convince you to have a real cigarette!

chewing a lot of gum helped me, aswell as eating tonnes. If you're eating, you can't be smoking, but I'm a skinny lad and despite eating troughs full, never put any weight on. :D
Mon 15/12/03 at 15:23
"Darkness, always"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Look at it ferchrissake, its embrassing ;)

wtf is this supposed to represent?

http://www.nicorette.com.au/images/animbox_3a.gif

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.