GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should smoking be banned?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/12/03 at 18:10
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Well, it’s being talked about at the moment. My own personal views on the subject, as a non-smoker, are that it should not be.

Although I don’t smoke myself, who is it for me or anyone else for that matter to tell you that you can’t? On the practical side of things smoking injects a rather large sum of money into the country. Granted it will take quite a bit out, but I’d wager it’s not as much as it puts in.

There are some aspects of smoking that I don’t enjoy, the main one being the smokers that smoke in the designated non-smoking areas or intentionally blow their smoke into peoples faces, but this is fairly rare from my experiences.

Smoking is a habit, something that many smokers enjoy and do not want to give up. So why should they have to? Because it is bad for them?

They know the possible medical implications and as adults they should be able to make their own decision. Yes the nicotine in the cigarettes make it addictive, but there are plenty of other, possibly more dangerous drugs that are available and not being considered to be banned.

Alcohol for instance. I have never met a smoker that becomes more aggressive after a cigarette. Yet alcohol, which plays a part in rather a large amount of crime, is considered to be more acceptable.

Caffeine. I don’t know if any of you know anything about true caffeine addicts, but it is truly one of the worst and most health threatening addictions you can have. Heart problems, severe shaking and aggression all play a part.

I could go on, but can’t see the point. What are all your views on this?
Thu 08/01/04 at 11:36
Regular
"2 weeks to go..."
How's it going Black Glove? Still a non smoker? I gave up about 4 months ago, but I keep smoking when I drink, which I can't seem to do anything about. Stupid cigarettes, I agree if they were banned it would make it a hell of a lot easier for everyone to give up. Or travel to Calais a lot more!

I have a sore throat and a horrible taste in my mouth STILL from smoking last night, you think that would be enough to make me say no next time I drink. You'd think. I don't understand why drinking makes me want to smoke so much!

Anyone here read the Allen Carr book?
Wed 07/01/04 at 13:07
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
The sagacious one wrote:
> In reality there should be a ban on petrol/deisel cars before anyone
> starts banging on about banning smoking.

(applause!)

You pollute my air, I'll pollute yours.

Day 6 tab free.
Wed 07/01/04 at 12:59
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Mouldy Cheese wrote:
> No. What good would it do? If something is banned, then it just means
> people have to get it on the black market. And they will.

True but if you ban smoking in all public places it doesn't matter where the tobacco/fags have come from...

In reality there should be a ban on petrol/deisel cars before anyone starts banging on about banning smoking.
Tue 06/01/04 at 18:41
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
No. What good would it do? If something is banned, then it just means people have to get it on the black market. And they will.

Ban advertising of alchohol. Those Baccardi adverts...'get drunk, you'll have a really COOL time...'
Tue 06/01/04 at 16:05
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Smoking needs to be banned in Oil refineries, tapestry exhibitions and during major operations.

Allowing surgeons to smoke cigars whilst carrying out a vasectomy is just asking for trouble.
Tue 06/01/04 at 15:36
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It needs to be banned in public places, but keep pubs and bars open to smoking in certain areas.

I hate it, it makes your clothes smell and is the most anti-social thing you can do when there's non-smokers around unlike drinking.
Mon 05/01/04 at 13:03
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Silent-Scope wrote:
> You might of found like many other non smokers that it stinks alot in
> a smokey pub.

God aye. It looked like everyone was smoking, the air was thick and grey and it smelled good, very, very, VERY good. ;)
Mon 05/01/04 at 13:02
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Silent-Scope wrote:
> You can do it... just don't do it in the first place.

Not as simple as that. I don't own a time machine.
Mon 05/01/04 at 12:38
Regular
Pandaemonium wrote:

> Not that I have done it yet mind, but I was in a very, very smoky pub
> on Saturday, and managed to get though that. :)

You might of found like many other non smokers that it stinks alot in a smokey pub.
Mon 05/01/04 at 12:35
Regular
You can do it... just don't do it in the first place.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.